Medieval Law and Governance

  • Vicki Hyde
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2009
      > 1b. Re: Medieval Law and Governance
      > > I have long had an interest in period law and governance. Are
      > there any among us who share such an interest?

      I'm interested, though more in seeing what physical examples are out
      there of legal documents -- got another 50 Challenge 9I'm not really
      trying to 50 x 50 honest!).

      I want to make up a cofferful of family documents, and there'll be a
      big section of legal documents such as quitclaims and enfeoffments,
      wills and testaments and suchlike. I'd be very keen to hear about
      online resources that especially have pictures of extant documents so
      I can learn more about the presentation and materials invovled, as
      well as the content.

      The Parliamentary records for Scotland are online now, for each
      reign, day by day, in transcription and translation. A goldmine. eg

      http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?a=fcf&fn=jamesi_trans&id=id1138&t=tran
      The Records of the Parliaments of Scotland
      1436 statute of the taverners in the night

      Item, the king and the three estates have ordained that no man in a
      burgh be found in taverns at ale, wine or beer after the strike of
      nine hours and the bell that shall be rung in the said burgh. Which
      being found, the alderman and bailies shall put them in the king's
      prison...

      Great resources for journal writing too!

      Cheers,
      katherine
      =====================================
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
    • Ted Eisenstein
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3, 2009
        >I'm interested, though more in seeing what physical examples are out
        >there of legal documents
        Quite a few, if you don't limit yourself to purely governmental archives -
        wills, land trasnfers, seigneural things, sale documents (I've got one
        that's your basic receipt for the purchase of some salt), notarial documents......

        >I'd be very keen to hear about
        >online resources that especially have pictures of extant documents so
        >I can learn more about the presentation and materials invovled, as
        >well as the content.
        An indenture, a bill of sale, a writ, a bill of sale for some landm a receipt,
        soome royal household stuff, a deed, some seals are at
        http://pics.livejournal.com/tedeisenstein/gallery/00009w9y

        An Elizabethan land grant:
        http://pics.livejournal.com/tedeisenstein/gallery/0000ch8t

        Two English charters:
        http://pics.livejournal.com/tedeisenstein/gallery/00011851

        >The Parliamentary records for Scotland are online now, for each
        >reign, day by day, in transcription and translation.
        One of my usual booksellers sent along information three or
        four months ago about a book, handwritten, containing all the
        then-current writs and forms your typical lawyer would need
        when submitting a case to the courts - but damned if I can find
        it now (it may have been sold).

        If you have a bit of extra money lying around, there's always this
        available for sale:
        FITZHERBERT, Anthony. The Newe Boke of Iustices of Peace.
        "on the powers and duties of the justices of the peace, since the
        latter were (and are) generally unpaid and part-time laymen appointed
        by special commission under the great seal to keep the peace by
        enforcing "all ordinances and statutes for ... the preservation of the
        same" within the particular area of their jurisdiction. On them rested
        the everyday enforcement of the system of criminal law, and before
        the advent of a professional police force in the C19th it rested largely
        on them alone. The work also deals similarly with the offices of sheriffs,
        constables, bailifs, escheators and coroners. The closing table first
        their authority, discussed extensively in the text, and the offences,
        activities and occupations which fell within their jurisdiction. Together
        they paint a very accurate and detailed picture of the social fabric of
        Tudor England. "

        http://www.sokol.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=15580

        Alban
      • Ann Franchi
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2009
          Same here - I'm interested, but not sure I'd have the time to contribute.

          Anitra

          On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Elewyiss the Jew <elewyiss@...> wrote:

          > If there is a group I would love to come and lurk.
          >
          > Elewyiss
          >
          > On 5/2/09, pickettej <pickette@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> --- Margett wrote,
          >> In
          >> AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com<AandS50ChallengeCommunity%40yahoogroups.com>,
          >> "Margrett Norwoode" <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I am very interested, as I work in the legal field and got halfway
          >> through law school myself some years ago. I am particularly interested in
          >> irish brehon law.
          >> >
          >> > Margrett
          >> ////////////////
          >> > >

          >> Do you think there might be enough interest in Law and Governance for a
          >> Group?
          >>
          >> JoO
          >>

          > --
          > Ro'eh Hatulim

          "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
          thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
          Anonymous
        • Julia Jones/Gudrun Oddsdottir
          Message 4 of 25 , May 4, 2009
            Count me as another person who would like to lurk on such a group. My interest is in "book history" and other aspects of the written word.

            Gudrun Oddsdottir
            Atenveldt

            Message 5 of 25 , May 4, 2009
              The most recent issue of _Vav Magasinet_, the Swedish weaving magazine, has an article on some medieval documents. The seals are attached with cords, and each seal has a little textile cover stitched around it to protect it. The textiles appear to be whatever leftover pieces of fabric were on hand. It would make a distinctly different additional touch to a display, wouldn't it?

              In Service,

              Gudrun Oddsdottir

              Message 6 of 25 , May 4, 2009
                > 1d. Re: Medieval Law and Governance
                > Alban:

                Many thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'm going to have to do
                more manuscript work rather than printing. I just did 9 entries for a
                Kingdom A&S comp involving a patent, birthbrief, family tree record,
                roll of arms etc. The judges called it calligraphy, but I think of it
                more as handwriting -- a distinction I'd make between things like a
                15C Book of Hours and everyday working documents.

                Period example of the latter tend to be hard to source as they're not
                as pretty. But I've found it really useful to look at legal websites,
                rather than museum or manuscript collections. Those lawyers hang onto
                everything! And I suspect that medical collections (like the
                Wellcome) may also prove useful for other documents, for similar
                reasons.

                > If you have a bit of extra money lying around, there's always this
                > available for sale: FITZHERBERT, Anthony. The Newe Boke of
                > Iustices of Peace. "on the powers and duties of the justices of the

                That is lovely, but I have my eye on a Gutenburg Press on Ebay for
                only $39,000 -- *sigh* so many possibilities, so little money....

                Cheers,
                katherine

                =====================================
                katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
                Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
                mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
                bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
                Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz
              • pickettej
                Message 7 of 25 , May 5, 2009
                  A couple of useful links for the Juris Amator.

                  Your Studious Scholar,

                  James of Odo,
                  Fidelibus
                • pickettej
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 6, 2009
                    --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "pickettej" <pickette@...> wrote:

                    There is a new Yahoo Group for Medieval Law and Governance. Please look for us and join, if it is you interest.

                    James of Odo,
                    Fidelibus
                  • AlbredaA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 7, 2009
                      In a message dated 5/6/2009 10:35:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      pickette@... writes:

                      There is a new Yahoo Group for Medieval Law and Governance. Please look
                      for us and join, if it is you interest.
                      Neither James nor I are very good at sending links from things, but perhaps
                      someone else who IS might be willing to look up the group, and tell us all
                      the easiest way to find it?

                      Thank you!
                      Albreda
                      **************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
                      (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)

                    • Sara L Uckelman
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 7, 2009
                        Quoth AlbredaA@...:
                        > Neither James nor I are very good at sending links from things, but perhaps
                        > someone else who IS might be willing to look up the group, and tell us all
                        > the easiest way to find it?

                        I searched for "medieval law governance" in the "search groups"
                        engine on the groups.yahoo.com page. That returned just one hit,
                        and it's clearly the right one:

                        -Aryanhwy

                        --
                        vita sine literis mors est
                        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 7, 2009
                          Finally!!

                          I had to edit my message four times and type the stupid code six
                          times, but I finally got to join the group!

                          Anitra

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 7, 2009
                            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Verena Entenwirt <verena@...> wrote:

                            > James, I don't have an interest per-say, but IF you come across any German
                            > Law, would you please pass it my way?
                            >
                            > -Verena

                            Learned Lady,

                            Our new group, Medieval Law and Governance, has posted two files and a link on German Law.

                            MedievalLawGovernance-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            Your Studious Scholar,

                            James of Odo,
                            Fidelibus