Lanolin from wool

  • Dianna Haught
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2009
      I'm finally getting around to trying to extract lanolin from wool using only water and salt as my chemicals (in other words, as they would have done in period). Roughly, I'm using Dioscorides instructions but am refraining from stirring the wool vigorous as I don't want to felt it. (I want to dye it and spin it and...) Best set of instructions I could come up with says to boil for several hours? What is several? As anyone done this? How long did you boil the wool? How much salt did you add (I added enough to make the water taste like the ocean. Do I need more brine?) So far the wool has boiled for 2 hours. I'm calling 3 several and stopping there.

      House smells like wet sheep. Husband comes in from gym and sees big soup pot on stove with wool happily bubbling away. "You are ordering pizza tonight for dinner, right?"
      Lady Avacyn

      English doesn't just borrow words from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, hits them over the head with old beer bottles and rummages through their pockets for loose grammar.