RE: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Transfering to fabric was: tapestry pattern production

  • Michelle Heitman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 6:49 AM
      >I use highlighters alot as they are
      >water sollable they wash out easily. How
      >do the gel pens work? Do they stay forever,
      >rub, bleed or wash out?

      I haven't tried using highlighters. I'll have
      to try that. *Every* other pen I've ever tried
      has done *all* of the above. I have several
      completely destroyed pieces of embroidery that
      I used other pens to draw the design with.
      Wash them once...and ....ruined.

      I now use the water-soluable pens that you can
      buy at fabric and craft stores, and they work
      perfectly. I've also had a *lot* of luck with
      good old-fasioned carbon paper. (although it's
      not as easy to get, nowadays, as it used to be!).

      Gel pens *do*, indeed, bleed *and* wash out.
      Except...they don't really wash out, completely.
      They run...and leave stains on the ground cloth
      that are very difficult to get out.

      Fiondel
      Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.
    • Baroness Bianca the Inquisitive
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 7:10 AM
        I use Crayola markers.... They are a lot less expensive than the fabric
        markers, and they work just as well! A big advantage is the wide variety of
        colors!!! They wash out VERY well!

        Hope that helps!

        In service,
        Baroness Bianca

        --
        Letalior Specierum! - (You wish you hit like a girl!)

        "Having heard all this you may turn away, but you can never say again you
        did not know." Wilbur Wilberforce

      • scasigfrd1967
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 7:30 AM
          one of our members just taught us an easy way to transfer designs without carbon paper. just make your own. make a disposable photocopy of your design, scribble over the back of it with a carpenters pencil,the have wide leads, and place it carbon side down on the material to be decorated. Then you trace over the lines with a ball point pen. This transfers the design onto anything you want. my wife just transfeed a design this way onto a piece of wood for woodburning. you can also use it for borders on scrolls, stonecarving etc.

          Siegfried