Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Entering A&S Competitions WAS Re: how shall we count the way

  • Sol
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 2, 2009
      Various reasons I have not done A&S Competitions and Displays:

      1. I am usually committed to other activities during the event--archery,
      providing music for dancing, camp cook, event support staff, etc. etc. so I
      haven't really tried to add something else into the day's lineup.

      2. My A&S participation is highly individual and largely intended to meet my
      own needs (my version of the A&S50 Challenge surely demonstrates this), my
      other SCA activities are where I interact with others (at events).

      3. I have heard that the documentation and rules can be bothersome and have
      not bothered to find out firsthand if that is the case.

      4. With finite time and resources, I have not tried to add to my workload by
      meeting the requirements in terms of time and paperwork and logistics and
      whatever else to make my A&S activities fit within that context. I once
      tried the I might as well get academic credit for my volunteer labor route
      and it ended up being a bad idea. I had to take an incomplete and it
      ultimately created more work for me than just doing the web design itself.
      So I try not to repeat that mistake.

      5. Have only very rarely stopped by competitions and displays when they
      were happening, so I haven't been drawn into it that way. I do hang with
      people at events doing A&S stuff, but it's mostly an informal gathering to
      set up an impromptu artisans' area, and this is still a recent experience
      for me. I did once spend the day at an official Artisans' Row and liked it,
      but haven't managed to follow it up. In other words, my interactions with
      other artisans have not steered me in that direction.

      Sol
      Argent, a sun between a chief enarched and base sable

    • Lyssa
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 4, 2009
        What a wonderful experience! I'm so happy you found the niche that works for you in the competitions!
        Lyssa