Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: A Question about the End of the Challenge.

  • AlbredaA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
      In a message dated 2/3/2009 8:11:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mhartzcoutts@... writes:

      Lots of successfully completed challenges won't *show*. If the doing
      is truly what matters, photographs should be a side issue.

      Otherwise, we are going to end up with a lot of performers and
      teachers and translators feeling rather second-class.

      100% heard, Ursula, and I humbly beg your pardon for not being significantly
      more clear in my statement, so please let me try again.

      (Since the person in question was talking about physical objects that she
      was giving away, I apparently left this bit out as a given... Silly Albreda)

      *Should your work include physical objects (other than typed text) that
      would be well represented by photography, particularly if the object in question
      is a finished piece that you will be giving to someone else*, we suggest you
      take a picture of it as part of your documentation.

      Many of my OWN Challenge items are things like 'run an exhibition', or
      'learn how to make a lampworked bead'; I suppose I could take a picture of the
      exhibition, or of my one, lonely dark green bead, but that would seem more than
      a bit silly *too*, and those ARE things that would sit still for a
      photograph. ;)

      My point was this - please document what you are doing in some way that a)
      will help you remember, 30 years from now, what the heck it was you did (and
      how, and why), and b) that will hopefully be something that you can show to
      others so that they can better understand your work.

      Better, Ursula? (Seriously - better?)

      Albreda (hopefully) the Inclusionist
      net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

    • Michelle Heitman
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
        >Lots of successfully completed challenges won't *show*.
        >If the doing is truly what matters, photographs should
        >be a side issue.

        > Otherwise, we are going to end up with a lot of performers
        >and teachers and translators feeling rather second-class.

        I dont' really think the emphasis is intended to be on
        photo-taking, only. Yes, there happens to be a discussion,
        right now, about cameras. I belive, however, that the
        emphasis is on some kind of record of what you did.
        Whether that record is a photo, or a copy of a song,
        or the script from which you did your performance (with
        the performance notes scribbled in the margins....or
        am I the only one who does that?)...or the receipe from
        the food or the class notes from a class you took/taught.

        There is some kind of documentation for everything we
        do. I began an album of the things I'm doing. Some
        of the entries in the album will be photos, of course,
        but some will be songs, some will be a story of how I
        decided what I wanted to acquire and the way I
        acquired it, and so on.

        Think about it. There are 50 things/activities.
        When you get to 2016, how well are you going to remember
        the class you taught or the story you told in 2009,
        without some kind of momento?

        Fiondel
        http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009
      • ursula.widow
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, AlbredaA@... wrote:
          > Better, Ursula? (Seriously - better?)
          >
          > Albreda (hopefully) the Inclusionist

          Absolutely. Thank you for elaborating.

          After knowing you throught this list for -- is it a year? -- I really
          didn't think you intended to exclude anyone!

          For the possible use of other performers, my record is simply a
          document file in which I list the titles of my pieces and the date
          and event at which I first performed them in public.

          I also transcribe most of the lyrics into my bardic book, which is a
          very pretty leather-covered handmade book I bought from a Pennsic
          merchant. Lots of people use three-ring binders as their bardic books
          and those are nice if you are collecting a lot of songs by a lot of
          different people. But I mostly sing my own songs, and I figure if
          it's worth making people listen to, it's worth taking fifteen minutes
          to copy. (My book is not calligraphed, just hand printed.)

          I would be interested in how others record their intangible Challenge
          activities.

          Yours in art,
          Ursula
        • Ann Franchi
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
            My Lady,

            You might also want to consider recording the response to each piece,
            and what changes - if any - you made as a result of that response.

            Not necessarily in the Public book, but as a personal record of your progress?

            with respect,

            Anitra

            On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:21 AM, ursula.widow <mhartzcoutts@...> wrote:
            > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, AlbredaA@... wrote:
            >> Better, Ursula? (Seriously - better?)
            >>
            >> Albreda (hopefully) the Inclusionist
            >
            > Absolutely. Thank you for elaborating.
            >
            > After knowing you throught this list for -- is it a year? -- I really
            > didn't think you intended to exclude anyone!
            >
            > For the possible use of other performers, my record is simply a
            > document file in which I list the titles of my pieces and the date
            > and event at which I first performed them in public.
            >
            > I also transcribe most of the lyrics into my bardic book, which is a
            > very pretty leather-covered handmade book I bought from a Pennsic
            > merchant. Lots of people use three-ring binders as their bardic books
            > and those are nice if you are collecting a lot of songs by a lot of
            > different people. But I mostly sing my own songs, and I figure if
            > it's worth making people listen to, it's worth taking fifteen minutes
            > to copy. (My book is not calligraphed, just hand printed.)
            >
            > I would be interested in how others record their intangible Challenge
            > activities.
            >
            > Yours in art,
            > Ursula

          • Jane Yarbrough
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
              Ooh!!!   I like the idea of keeping a book.  I wonder how I would do that considering I am teaching classes for my challenge.  Hmm, maybe if I got someone to take pictures of the volunteer with the patterns they created while in my classes if that would be enough.  I want to do more than that though.
               Yours in service and friendship,

              Muirghein
              Deputy Chancellor,Royal University of Meridies
              Chronicler, Shire of Thorngill

              I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. - Douglas Adams

              http://muirgheinsmoments.blogspot.com/
              http://muirgheinsas50.blogspot.com/
              http://houndsgate.smugmug.com/

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
                If you are going to share your book, as a beginer teacher I would love notes
                on how the class went, what worked and what didn't. If children are
                included, did you have problems sizing the pattern to either children or
                large adults.

                Elewyiss

                On 2/4/09, Jane Yarbrough <muirgheinir@...> wrote:

                > Ooh!!! I like the idea of keeping a book. I wonder how I would do
                > that considering I am teaching classes for my challenge. Hmm, maybe if
                > I got someone to take pictures of the volunteer with the patterns they
                > created while in my classes if that would be enough. I want to do more than
                > that though.
                > Yours in service and friendship,
                >
                > Muirghein
                > Deputy Chancellor,Royal University of Meridies
                > Chronicler, Shire of Thorngill
                >
                > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
                > where I needed to be. - Douglas Adams
                >
                > http://muirgheinsmoments.blogspot.com/
                > http://muirgheinsas50.blogspot.com/
                > http://houndsgate.smugmug.com/
                >
                > ________________________________

                Ro'eh Hatulim

              • Georgia Foster
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Consider approaching it like a Curriculum Vita. Use a 3 ring binder and document protector sheets for each class (which can include a photo sheet or two as well).

                  Malkin (who's modern CV is pretty scary ... I looked the other day and I REALLY need to modernize it and make it electronic) (SIGH).
                  Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
                  Never knock on Death's door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.
                  I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.

                • Jane Yarbrough
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Thank you.  I like that idea.
                     Yours in service and friendship,

                    Muirghein (who buys 3-ring binders by the caseload)

                      On 2/4/09, Jane Yarbrough <muirgheinir@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                      > Ooh!!! I like the idea of keeping a book. I wonder how I would do
                      > that considering I am teaching classes for my challenge. Hmm, maybe if
                      > I got someone to take pictures of the volunteer with the patterns they
                      > created while in my classes if that would be enough. I want to do more than
                      > that though.
                      > Yours in service and friendship,
                      >
                      > Muirghein
                      > Deputy Chancellor,Royal University of Meridies
                      > Chronicler, Shire of Thorngill
                      >
                      > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
                      > where I needed to be. - Douglas Adams
                      >
                      > http://muirgheinsmo ments.blogspot. com/
                      > http://muirgheinsas 50.blogspot. com/
                      > http://houndsgate. smugmug.com/
                      >
                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Ro'eh Hatulim

                    • Ann Franchi
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009
                        You could pass around a sign-up sheet and ask everyone to autograph
                        it. If you explain what it is for, they can decline if they don't
                        want to.

                        Anitra

                        On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Jane Yarbrough <muirgheinir@...> wrote:
                        > Ooh!!! I like the idea of keeping a book. I wonder how I would do that
                        > considering I am teaching classes for my challenge. Hmm, maybe if I got
                        > someone to take pictures of the volunteer with the patterns they created
                        > while in my classes if that would be enough. I want to do more than that
                        > though.
                        > Yours in service and friendship,
                        >
                        > Muirghein
                        > Deputy Chancellor,Royal University of Meridies
                        > Chronicler, Shire of Thorngill
                        >
                        > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
                        > where I needed to be. - Douglas Adams
                        >
                        > http://muirgheinsmoments.blogspot.com/
                        > http://muirgheinsas50.blogspot.com/
                        > http://houndsgate.smugmug.com/
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • jonell
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009
                          OMG! I thought I was the only one who had bookcases full of 3 ring binders.............aesa

                        • Georgia Foster
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009
                            aesa scripted "OMG! I thought I was the only one who had bookcases full of 3 ring binders............."

                            Nope. I have a metric BUTTLOAD of binders.

                            Cheers

                            Malkin
                            Otherhill
                            Artemisia

                            Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
                            Never knock on Death's door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.
                            I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.

                          • Kudrun Pilegrim
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Ursula the widow wrote:
                              I would be interested in how others record their intangible Challenge
                              activities.

                              Since I'm attempting to teach 50 classes (or at least find 50 opportunities for teaching) I really don't want pictures (though the discussion on cameras was very interesting to this convert from the world of slides).  I've been using a blog to document the classes, and of course I keep the class notes, power points, and scripts of formal classes.  However, I'm thinking it would be a good idea for me to turn each class into a book -- or at least a pamphlet.  I've done this for a few, and it's really a nice tangible reminder of the experience. It's also easy to make enough copies to give people -- either all the class attendees or someone very special who inspired the class.

                              Kudrun the pilegrim
                            • Martha
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
                                I already have 6-3in binders and I'm not done. I think I need a new
                                bookshelf, then the new house to put it in.
                                Annejke

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 6, 2009
                                  I also have a website.