Another New Person

  • Jasta
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
      Good evening everyone,

      I just joined the other day--thank you for having me!  I heard about the Challenge through the grapevine, and am still trying to figure out the ways and means of it all.  My interests include equestrian costuming, arming and tacking; archery; heraldry and vexillology; knitting; weaving; embroidery; people-costuming; cooking; woodworking; and music, be it instrumental or sung.  I think I might be able to find a few things in that list to do...  *grins*

      My name is Meleri ferch Iasper ap Dafydd Du, but everyone just calls me Meli; I live in the Barony of Stierbach in Northern Atlantia.  I'm very glad to be here!  Please forgive me if it takes a while to figure out what's what!  :)

      Blessings,
      Meli
    • AlbredaA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
        Welcome Meli!

        Ok - I'll bite - what the heck is vexillology??

        Whatever questions you have about the Challenge, ask away!

        AA

      • Jasta
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
          :)  I get that question a lot.

          It's the study of flags: vexillium in Latin, hence vexillology.

          Maybe I could make a lovely heraldic flag or gonfanon, hmmmm??  Ooo that would be fun!

          I think most of my questions are probably very basic.  Like... it's a bit overwhelming, does anyone have any thoughts on simply how to begin?

          Cheers,
          Meli

          On 10/10/07, AlbredaA@... <AlbredaA@...> wrote:
          Welcome Meli!

          Ok - I'll bite - what the heck is vexillology??

          Whatever questions you have about the Challenge, ask away!

          AA

        • Albreda Aylese
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
            > It's the study of flags: vexillium in Latin, hence vexillology.
            >
            > Maybe I could make a lovely heraldic flag or gonfanon, hmmmm?? Ooo
            that
            > would be fun!

            Please continue to educate me - what, specifically, is a gonfanon?

            > I think most of my questions are probably very basic. Like... it's
            a bit
            > overwhelming, does anyone have any thoughts on simply how to begin?

            Well, what kind of Challenge are you drawn to?

            If you want to try 50 brand new things, you could check out the
            nearest Collegium or Kingdom University, and go to whatever classes
            sound both fun and hands on (reading/listening to someone talk about
            something is grand, but getting one's hands dirty in a class is a
            great way to get the first few of your 50 off and running!)

            If you want to work on flags exclusively, then you could make up a
            list of things you have wanted to improve/try in this realm - various
            paints/pigments, fabrics, periods, etc, or you could plan to master
            your current techniques by making 50 flags for a group (maybe your
            Kingdom/local group regalia?)

            If you want to work on your persona, it would help if we knew what it
            was... >;) then we can pitch you ideas relevant to your time/place.

            Does that help?
            AA