Re: pies

  • Stella Martin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2009
      Oh for the taste of a good wine sap apple, (Aminah remembering the wild apple tree out behind the chicken house back home oh too many years ago). {giggle}

      YIS

      Sayyida Aminah al-Zarqah
      Argent, a rose azure, barbed and seeded proper, upon a chief, azure, a salmon, argent, embowed, niaint.
      Order of the Diamond Willow

    • PREN WILCOX
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2009
        thanks everyone who has contributed to this conversation about my
        apple pie. i feel that i am really learning alot. ill have to try
        another one this month with all the new tips and tricks ive learned!
        rosalie
      • Marybeth Lavrakas
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2009
          The Summer Rambo, which is a 16th C variety of apple (red in color) tastes a great deal like the Granny Smith & is similar in firmness, so IMO granny smith is a perfectly reasonable modern apple to use when the 'real deal' isn't in season (and they tend to be expensive even when available).

          I'm blanking out on the name of the period French apple that's still used in dessert cooking there. Caville blanc d'hiver?? It's very different from the granny smith variety (sweet, tons of vit. C, firm but not crunchy). Incredibly yummy.

          I have always bought my 'heritage' apples from an orchard in Michigan, the name of which I'm also forgetting right now (ah! Senior Moment!!) but can scrounge up if needed.

          Kateryn Rous
        • Mariann Eaves
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2009
            I'm regretting at that time that all the "heritage" orchards that I know of just happen to be Peach... lol.  Located Mundanely, Southeast TN.

            Saranchar

            So when you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it.
            Krishnamurti

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2009
              Here are websites of some nurseries that carry heirloom varieties of apples
              and other fruits. I make no claims about the quality of their stock, I've
              just found them online and offer them for your consideration. A google
              search on heirloom apple trees turns up many more.

              http://www.treesofantiquity.com/
              http://www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/appletreenurseries.html
              http://heirloomappletrees.com/default.aspx
              http://heirloomappletree.com/index.html

              And here is a farm that sells heirloom apples:

              http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/Heirloom-Apples.html

              Hope this is a help,

              Luke