Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: pies (Cornish pasties)

  • Jarrett Grace
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      Ask and ye shall receive!

      For 6 good sized pasties:

      12 oz shortcrust pastry (ideally made with lard as that makes a nice
      strong dough, but butter and/or margarine, or a mix of all 3 will work
      depending on your dietary requirements).

      beef (about 6 - 9 oz will do)
      onion
      potato
      turnip (optional)
      fresh parsley (the curly kind)
      salt
      pepper
      1 egg beaten lightly.

      Make the pastry, let it rest in the fridge while you dice the
      ingredients very small (1/4" dice) You don't need a huge amount --
      probably about 3oz filling per pasty max.

      Roll out the pastry and cut into circles. I use a saucer as a
      template. You can do all the pastry, then all the filling, or you can
      do it one at a time.

      Make a pile of filling down the center of each pasty, leaving about
      1/2 - 3/4" at the ends. Brush the edge of the pasty with the beaten
      egg and fold up so the seam runs down the center of the pasty.

      Cut a slit on each side for steam to escape. You can cut people's
      initials, prick them with a fork, be creative. Just don't make a huge
      hole in them.

      Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, turn down the oven to 350F and continue
      to cook for another 30 minutes or so

      Don't roll the pastry too thin -- it needs to support a fairly heavy
      filling. But by the same token, don't over-fill them.

      For those infidels like my dear son, who don't eat onion, you can make
      a steak and cheese version (with or without potato). That needs more
      meat than the meat and veggie version. A good sharp cheddar, grated
      fine works well. You can use other meat and veggies, but not in my
      family!

      Dessert pasties with sliced fruit are good, as are mince pie pasties.

      Pictures here: http://pics.livejournal.com/hugh_mannity/gallery/00012830?page=1

      --
      No trees were killed in the sending of this message but a large number
      of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

      livejournal: hugh_mannity (http://hugh-mannity.livejournal.com/)