cord-making widget

  • Vicki Hyde
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2009
      > Malkin:
      > I've never seen such a widget ... but it sounds INTERESTING!!! I have
      > never mastered the Lucet, though I have been able to make a passably
      > substantial (farm implement) cord. Your suggestion sounds like more fun
      > and possibly easier than the two-or four- prong fork of doom.

      We have a local here who makes lucets out of Number 8 fencing wire --
      nice and springy which apparently makes it easier for beginners....

      > where did you see the disk?

      Saw it here:
      http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_weave_medieval_cords_for_trimming_b
      racelet/

      There was another instructable for a 16-slot cord. Both look a little
      simpler than the examples provided by Cat, but I figure are simply
      variations on a the kimihimo theme.

      So apart from Japanese and Norse variants, was anything like this used in
      say mid-1500s England/Scotland or early 1500s northern Italy?

      I'd like to learn a cord-making art, but would prefer that it be
      something suitable for my persona. Maybe I'll just have to have another
      go with that lucet thing....

      Cheers,
      katherine
      katherine kerr of the Hermitage, in the Crescent Isles,
      Baroness of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac
      mka Vicki Hyde, Webwright, wordsmith
      bardic arts, maps, children: http://webcentre.co.nz/kk
      Barony of Southron Gaard: http://sg.sca.org.nz