Re: So?

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 8, 2007
      I totally sympathize with your fear of heights. I don't like heights
      or tight spaces. If you ever see Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel,
      there's this episode on the Mackinac Bridge... Mike Rowe in the
      inside of those pillars and then walking up the suspension cables...
      I can't watch that one. Gives me the shivers even thinking about it.

      Think positive. Your display will go well! For the last few years
      the barony didn't have 12 items in any of the Baronial Champions
      competitions so this one was a big, scary deal for everyone. And you
      can always display things in progress and note them as display only.
      That helps to fill out the field.

      Well, I've mostly recovered from the A&S event... I must get some
      better shoes for standing all day because I can't seem to talk, teach
      and show stuff off and actually stay seated. The event itself was a
      tremendous success. I'd prepped 40 tokens thinking that would surely
      be enough for the event and Queen's Prize next weekend. I don't know
      the final count of entries but there were more than 40 that weren't
      mine because I ran out of tokens! We had several people travel from
      the barony next door and a few came all the way from al-Barran!
      That's a 5-6 hour drive and a long drive for just a day event but
      they wanted to come and share in the A&S rebirth and share their
      stuff in a less pressure filled environment. The gentleman in the
      group, a laurel whose name is gone from my brain today, is writing a
      whole Creative Anachronist on turn-shoes. I saw his current draft.
      It's marvelous! Look for it to come out next year sometime.

      The Baroness was thrilled to have such great attendance at the first
      real A&S only event locally in years. It proves to everyone that A&S
      can be standalone and break even rather than losing money. I assume
      break-even though the final numbers won't be in for a few weeks. And
      the fighters consoled themselves with coming and dressing pretty...
      and hosting a class on German sword techniques without ever needing
      to don armor or get smelly. The brand new seneschal, a knight and
      avid fighter, actually made a lovely speach about how he loves to
      entertain on the field but when he's off field he hopes to be
      entertained by all our arts and wants to see a lot more A&S focused
      events, workshops and such. Huzzah!

      For my own stuff, my two classes went well though I really must plan
      each of them to be 1.5 to 2 hours each because they both ran long
      though everyone's classes ran long too. I set out a sign up sheet so
      that people who said "I want to learn that! Will you teach me?"
      could write down their contact info and I'd have a clue who asked for
      what later. That's still in the car but I know there were about 5
      names on the list that hadn't already asked about one thing or
      another.

      Here is what I ended up entering and displaying in the end...

      1. Viking costume - tunic, under tunic, apron dress, broach necklace,
      scarf displayed on my dress double - lots of oohs and ahs... It is
      incredibly weird seeing your outfit standing around without you in it.

      2. Women's Stockings / Hose - 5 sets of wool and linen stockings.
      This might have to be the first class scheduled this season because
      everyone was stunned that stockings were reasonably easy and really
      cool. I spent a lot of time pulling off my mundane socks and putting
      on the displayed ones so folks could see how they looked on. I must
      find a better way to display them next time. Flat just doesn't do
      them justice.

      3. "Cooler" cooler - papier mache covered cooler that looks less like
      a cooler than a box at first glance. I actually gave away my
      documentation to a young lady who wanted to do one with her daughter
      so they could do a project together.

      4. Nalbinding - some older mittens that hadn't ever been entered
      because the kittens trashed the set I was working on for the event 3
      days before the event. I love my kittens. They love my yarn. In
      the end the ones I'd been working on were a great demo piece in the
      class so I could show what happens if you don't do nice, secure, spit
      joins.

      5. Oxymel - Sekanjubin - I found two serving pieces that kept them
      contained and from being spilled all day. One gentleman
      remarked "ooo, the apple is just like coors but the balsamic vinegar,
      now that's guinness!!! Can I have all of it?" I let him fill his
      mug late in the day so I could take home less of the stuff.

      6. Eleanora of Toledo inspired gown - in progress gown that I've been
      beading for years and will be beading for years. I displayed this
      one to many oohs and ahs and "you are nuts" comments and a "hey
      honey, someone is as nuts as you are about beading" which actually
      had me trying not to double over laughing... it was a lady making
      that comment to her lord!

      7. Lucet cords - samples of various cording styles - I wanted to have
      more but I ran out. Funny thing is that both awards given at the
      event were held by cords I'd given to the Baroness earlier this
      year. Too cool. Now I have several requests to teach lucet cords on
      the 2 and the 4 horn models and one lord giving me dirty looks
      because his wife pointed and said "I want one! You can make me one!"

      8. Leather gloves - green leather, purple leather, red leather -
      major hit - everyone was disappointed that they fit me and not them
      though the red leather fit a close friend who might get them on her
      birthday with her arms on the back.

      9. 3 Finger Gloves - country men's gloves - now known in many minds
      as "nano, nano gloves" or "star trek live long and prosper gloves"
      or "alien gloves" because that's what everyone thinks of when they
      see them

      10. Wire weaving - wire necklace, bracelet and rings set along with
      the wire and tools that I needed for my class - lots of interest in
      what one can do that inspired more people to show for the class than
      I'd expected. We ran a half hour long on this one and I totally
      missed a friend's class. I'll plan better next time.

      11. Blackwork - linen shirt - displayed on dummy - good comments
      though it's not my best piece but it is the only one I still own...

      12. Drawn-thread napkins - display learning piece and in progress
      napkins - these were the biggest hit in the class taught by the lady
      who is teaching me because it gave her a few more samples for the
      class.

      13. Embroidery - borrow favor from Baron Knut - I did this favor
      years ago and it lived on a belt forever before moving to his wall -
      I know the men liked it. It's a nearly naked nymph emerging from a
      lake. Men always like this one. And when I realized that it had
      been "displayed" but never entered or displayed I borrowed it back
      because I was never going to finish the current embroidery request in
      time for the event.

      All told I am now 13 items closer to my goal of 50 with two more to
      go this coming weekend. The event isn't about judging which made it
      much easier to enter. It's like Laurel's Prize at Estrella... come
      out, be seen, maybe go home with some cool little tokens, and the
      baroness will give something little to her choice and something to
      the populace choice. I actually took populace choice though I'm not
      entirely sure what for... There was a cute guy and we were flirting
      in the back row so I wasn't really listening when they called my name
      in court but I did realize that I had to do more than wave
      acknowledgement... right after they said "Hey Lyssa, you have to come
      up here. Waving isn't good enough."

      The baroness gave me a little purple dragon she sewed herself "to
      help keep me under control or inspired as needed"... She called it
      the over-achiever dragon. And then she challenged everyone to
      display more than I had displayed next year... that's 3 tables worth
      of stuff. They're already planning next year's event. My sister-in-
      law, one of this year's autocrats, has already volunteered for next
      year's event and I'm her co-autocrat.

      I learned that sometimes it is not just good but important to show
      off your own work. I do a ton of stuff but mostly people don't see
      it. Now people who have been wanting to do some of the things that I
      do just to stay busy know who to talk to so they can learn. It also
      let people see how the little nalbinding stitches and wire weaving
      bits that I have taught them work into bigger items. It gave
      inspiration to a lot of folks. And it showed everyone that just
      because they say "a 3x5 card with what, when and where" written on it
      as documentation, you don't have to stick with the minimum. You can
      do 1 page without much effort and share what you know at the same
      time.

      One other thing that I didn't know was that one of my friends who
      taught her first class and had a great time never taught before
      because no one asked. I didn't know that when I asked if she would
      teach to help fill out the class schedule. I thought that as a music
      teacher professionally she just didn't teach because she needed a
      break. She was so happy to see that her knowledge was wanted, craved
      and happily received by the folks who want to know about period
      music. She's already talking about how to do it better next time.
      I'm already talking to her and her husband about setting their own
      A&S 50 Challenge goals.

      It was a great weekend!
      Lyssa
    • AlbredaA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2007
        In a message dated 10/8/2007 1:06:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, leofsige@... writes:
        It was a great weekend!
        And a great report!  I can't even begin to list all of the things that I want to congratulate you on out of it, so I will just say, as we do in the East, Vivat!!

        Albreda :)

      • S.E. Buchter
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
          Ok, I know its not a big deal, but I had so much fun doing it and am really proud of the result so I thought I would share.  I did the coronation cote for Andreas and Gabriella's baby.  Although it is not a huge project, the entire thing was hand sewn and I made the buttons.  I was especially proud that the brocade pattern matched up perfectly (I had never wored with patterned fabric before.)  I fit it to my son who loved to wear it, he never wanted to take it off.  I will eventually get detailed pics up on my photobucket.  But until then, coronation pictures (and the baby with the cote I made) are at  http://picasaweb.google.com/kmcorriganjr/Coronation   if anyone wants to check it out.

          Thanks for letting me waste some bandwidth.

          Ysemay

          "Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say"--5.3.323 King Lear

        • AlbredaA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 10, 2007
            Sit down, Ysemay; I need to talk to you, and the rest of you might as well listen in, too.

            #1)  The cote looks *terrific,* and the buttons are gorgeous (and how you got them so identical, or how you have time to outfit not only your OWN kids, but someone else's too, I do NOT know!)  Thanks for sharing it with us!

            #2)  If you want to be all super-self deprecating, go do it on the apprentice list. ;)  THIS list is all about sharing our work and accomplishments and celebrating them together.  If I EVER again catch you apologizing for 'wasting bandwith' under a subject line of 'my latest project' I'm going to smack you with a wet noodle!!!

            Got it?  Were the rest of you listening?

            Good; do NOT make me have this conversation again.  ;)

            Albreda, feeling all sassy mama-bear this morning

          • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
              I have to take up my  wand of power and thwack you smartly on your knuckles young lady!  It is a big deal and it's quite lovely.
              We so often judge a project by its size or volume or complexity instead of the quality of the project and the joy a well made item gives us.  A lady in our BArony makes delightful embroidered christmas ornaments and we consider ourselves quite fortunate when given one.  So - donot devalue a project just because it's small or simple.

              Okay - soap box back in its place now.

              CHagan

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
                In a message dated 10/12/2007 7:33:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chagankhulan@... writes:
                So - donot devalue a project just because it's small or simple.

                Heck, when a project can be small, simple, cheap and fast, I'm in heaven!  Large size and huge complexity often makes me think LESS of a project!  The real craftsmanship sometimes shows up better in a project like this - like her buttons!

              • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Yes in deedy do!

                  Chagan