Scam Alert!

  • Bjo Trimble
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Scam Warning!

      I was just warned of another name-harvesting scam by the moderator of
      a dye list. I am passing on the warning in hopes of preventing a whole
      lotta grief.

      There are several such attempts going around the Internet, one of
      which is Grouply is a yahoo product for which members are asked sign
      up. Grouply offers to consolidate - with your permission - all of your
      groups, address books etc.

      Once you join, it annoyingly sends thousands of emails out soliciting
      others from your email address book and the your groups to join
      Grouply. Get that: it invades your list of group addresses and your
      email address book! It is not only annoying and invasive.

      If you fall for this or any other "invitation" to a group you never
      heard of, someone now has a complete list of your names and addresses!
      What will they do with it?

      Once you join you are more or less permanently attached to Grouply.
      There have been a lot of issues with Grouply harvesting group member
      emails once a member of any one group signs up for the program.
      Groups are then heavily spammed - to protect itself, the group much
      then drop the members from private groups when they join grouply.

      This scam exists under several names. I've been getting "tagged" by
      notices supposedly from "dear friends" to join some kind of online
      group. If I don't join up - and I never do - I get whiny messages:
      "Why haven't you joined us? Mary Beary is waiting to hear from you!"
      and "Mary Beary is wondering why you have not joined her."

      But when I contact these dear friends directly, they have no idea I
      was contacted using their names. So if you get invited by a dear
      friend to join a group you never heard of, check directly with that
      friend! Be very careful about taking the word of some "group" or
      "organization". It could get you dropped from the real groups you want
      to belong to. And it puts all our email addresses in the hands of
      computer harvesters!
    • Albreda Aylese
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Bjo Trimble"
        <bjotrimble@...> wrote:

        > Scam Warning!
        If I don't join up - and I never do - I get whiny messages:
        > "Why haven't you joined us? Mary Beary is waiting to hear from you!"
        > and "Mary Beary is wondering why you have not joined her."

        I just got one of those whiney messages the other day! I figured it
        was a scam, but then I'd happened to have had a good night's sleep, so
        I caught it. On a different day, I might not have!

        Thanks for the warning!
        Albreda
      • Christine Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          I heard about how annoying Grouply was so I ignore any of their
          "invitations."

          Caitlin

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Quoting Bjo Trimble <bjotrimble@...>:

            > Scam Warning!
            >
            > I was just warned of another name-harvesting scam by the moderator of
            > a dye list. I am passing on the warning in hopes of preventing a whole
            > lotta grief.
            >
            > There are several such attempts going around the Internet, one of
            > which is Grouply is a yahoo product for which members are asked sign
            > up. Grouply offers to consolidate - with your permission - all of your
            > groups, address books etc.

            Not only that, Grouply then has access to all the *PRIVATE* group
            messages so that it can send them to members. And it has your Yahoo
            ID and your Yahoo password -- which may or may not be linked to other
            personal sensitive information!

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
            Division of Science and Math
          • Dawn Felagund
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              Regarding Grouply ...

              Group owners can disallow invitations to their members from Grouply. I belong to several SCA and Tolkien lists, and many of them have been hit by Grouply spam. I'm actually quite surprised that we haven't gotten any on this list yet, since it's a fairly large one! But I have barred Grouply invites from the Yahoo! group that I own.

              Unfortunately, Grouply is blocked at work for me, so I can't give a direct link to the page where group owners can block Grouply invites for their groups. I'm pretty sure that there is an item in the FAQs about it that has all of the necessary links. When I get home this afternoon, I will send a direct link, if anyone is interested.

              Dawn

            • AlbredaA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
                In a message dated 11/3/2008 10:52:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DawnFelagund@... writes:
                where group owners can block Grouply invites for their groups. I'm pretty sure that there is an item in the FAQs about it that has all of the necessary links. When I get home this afternoon, I will send a direct link, if anyone is interested.
                If you could please let me know, Dawn, I will disable access to this group.

                Thank you!!