new Photos - Schatzkammer / Treasury - Kingdom Drachenwald, Austria, Vienna

  • Racaire
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      My dear lords and ladies,

      I apologize for the bandwith but I would like to invite you to join my
      walk through the Schatzkammer (Treasury) in Vienna, Austria (Europe)
      this friday:

      "Austria, Vienna - Treasury / Schatzkammer":
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/sets/72157602018340363/

      I want to share this great impressions and hope that the photos I
      uploaded to my flickr account will maybe help you with your research
      projects, entertain you,... and maybe inspire some of you to visit Vienna :)

      Extract of the things on display at the Schatzkammer:
      - Messornat des Ordens vom Goldenen Vlies (embroidered, 2nd quarter 15th
      century)
      - Das "Ainkhürn"-Schwert ('Unicorn'-Sword, 2nd third of the 15th century)
      - Brosche Burgundisch-niederländisch (brooch, burgundian-dutch about
      1430/40)
      - Reichskrone (empire crown, west-german, 2nd half 10th century, crown
      cross 1st third 11th century, bow (?) between 1024 and 1039)
      - Adlerdalmatika (south-german, 1330-1340)
      - Krönungsmantel (coronation-mantle 1133/34)
      - Medaillon aus Bergkristall (end of 16th century - inlcuding a small
      painting with gouache on pergament)
      - Beutel König Stephans von Ungarn (embroidered pouch - russian, 2nd
      half 11.-12th century)
      ...and many more other beautiful things...

      With best regards
      Racaire
      Kingdom Drachenwald, Shire Ad Flumen Caerulum
      (Europe, Austria, Vienna)
      http://dragonsembroiderers.blogspot.com/
    • Carrot Khan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        ....I can't even figure out how they did that. Even with the close
        ups of the figures. It doesn't seem like anyone could do that with a
        needle.

        Jadwiga
      • Racaire
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
          As far as I remember concerning this technique: gold thread - couched
          with fine silk threads in different colours and shades - that's why the
          figures sparkle everywhere (at one figure you can see the gold of the
          hand where the covering silk thread faded away...
          I think it could be possible to copy this technique if you have enough
          time to practise, the proper materials, a calm hand and a lot of time
          and patience
          Regards
          Racaire

          Carrot Khan schrieb:
          > ....I can't even figure out how they did that. Even with the close
          > ups of the figures. It doesn't seem like anyone could do that with a
          > needle.
          >
          > Jadwiga

        • Carrot Khan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
            >As far as I remember concerning this technique: gold thread - couched with fine silk threads in different colours and >shades - that's why the figures sparkle everywhere (at one figure you can see the gold of the hand where the covering silk >thread faded away... I think it could be possible to copy this technique if you have enough time to practise, the proper >materials, a calm hand and a lot of time and patience

            And perhaps an entire guild working alongside! I've read about that
            technique, but I forget what its called. Sweet zombie jebuz is that
            amazing.

            Jadwiga
          • Rick Wright
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
              These are some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.  Thank you so much for the photos.  I study garb and the renderings of the period garb are fandastic in their detail!
              Lowri

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: