first flag making workshop

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
      Greetings all,

      We officially started our Baronial group 50 challenge this weekend. We started by making silk flags with our devices which can be used to liven up an event or camp. I have added a couple of picture I took to the photo section of the home page.

      We have made 10 flags so far with another 32 on the list to complete. It went quite well. We used premade silk hankerchiefs that only cost $4.85 each and were 44" x 44". We used the Serti method of resist dyeing.

      It worked out great. I had never used the black organic based resist before which needs dry cleaning to remove. I plan on leaving it in there for accent lines. It added almost no weight to the flags. It was a learning experience for everyone.

      So 10 down: only 40 to go.

      Nest

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
    • Albreda Aylese
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
        Nest is AWESOME!!! Thanks for including the picture, too - those
        banners are huge, and look great! (Plus, it looks like you were all
        having a good time!)

        Your events will never look the same! Vivat!

        Albreda, who loves starting her day with such news!

        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch
        Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > We officially started our Baronial group 50 challenge this
        weekend. We started by making silk flags with our devices which can
        be used to liven up an event or camp. I have added a couple of
        picture I took to the photo section of the home page.

        > We have made 10 flags so far with another 32 on the list to
        complete. It went quite well. We used premade silk hankerchiefs that
        only cost $4.85 each and were 44" x 44". We used the Serti method of
        resist dyeing.

        > It worked out great. I had never used the black organic based
        resist before which needs dry cleaning to remove. I plan on leaving
        it in there for accent lines. It added almost no weight to the flags.
        It was a learning experience for everyone.

        > So 10 down: only 40 to go.
        >
        > Nest
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        who knows.
        > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      • Maggie
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hello Albreda and everyone!

          I spent some time taking a good hard look at what I am doing and what
          I was avoiding and finally settled on my challenges. The one thing I
          avoided rather passionately was entering A&S competitions or even
          displaying at A&S events. This year though between the A&S 50
          Challenge and a renewed interest in A&S events for the sake of A&S
          events locally I decided to do the unthinkable... for me anyway... I
          have decided to enter or display 50 items as part of the challenge.

          There will be the first all A&S event in the barony in about 5 or 6
          years held this coming Saturday... no fighting allowed, just A&S.
          The baroness said she wants to see the guys show up in nice clothing
          and not smell up the hall and she gets her wish. It has been so long
          that the autocrats and the baroness are very worried that there won't
          be many items present. The fears are well justified because the last
          few baronial A&S competitions boasted about a handful of items each
          causing many to doubt the sanity of having an all A&S event. To make
          certain we have plenty of items to show off I decided to try to
          display or enter 1 thing for each time she asked me "will you please
          enter?" or "just come display something." That came out to about a
          dozen requests and strangely I actually have almost that many things
          that could be displayed or entered. Some are just display because
          they are still in progress but most will be entered. Depending on
          the final decision on my Oxymel, which I don't know how to display
          safely while teaching 2 classes and attending 2 others, I should have
          11 or 12 items this go around. I've got the documentation written up
          for all 12 though just to be certain. The autocrats and the baroness
          have been hyping the event and doing a lot of encouragement to help
          make it a success so I believe this one will do quite well.

          Just one week later the Queen's Prize/Queen's Whim event will be held
          and I have 2 items to enter. I wasn't certain I could enter at this
          one but they opened the competition to allow Flowers to enter as well
          as being sponsors for competitors. I'm back-up sponsor for one
          entrant and have located a Mistress to sponsor me. My documentation
          is complete barring any requested tweaks from my sponsor though I
          expect all will be well there.

          That will put me well ahead of the curve but given my predeliction
          for avoiding A&S competition I figure I need to get started with a
          bang to give me a fighting chance to actually complete this one. I
          just hope my laurel has recovered from the shock of the email telling
          him of my sudden change of heart regarding competition and
          display. :)

          I've also decided to do 50 pairs of gloves, 50 wire woven projects
          and teach 50 classes. That's the stuff I love to do. I've finished
          4 pair of gloves with two more in progress, 3 classes with 2
          scheduled next weekend, and 4 wire projects with a few more playing
          around in the back of my mind. Since I just volunteered to help with
          clothing for the next Crown I expect a few more pair of gloves will
          be in the planning shortly and I must get more gloves finished and to
          the Crown for the order of the Sharparrow as presentation pieces when
          the award is given.

          Talking with a lot of folks about what I do it seems that I'll be
          arranging classes on glove making and probably a few other things in
          the coming months. I haven't even committed to the glove class and
          already I have 6 people chomping at the bit to get going and a few
          requesting I reprise the Viking costume class I did just a few months
          ago.

          Thank goodness we're approaching the quiet part of the season. :)
          Lyssa
          Dragonsspine, Outlands
        • AlbredaA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
            WOW!  (I had to hold myself down from making that one word in ENORMOUS caps so as not to scare the children.)

            I just woke up from a nap with my girls, which incidentally included a dream about my fear of heights; there was a PRESCHOOL with these really tall platforms and ladders and things, and I could barely enter the room.  I thought, in my dream, what a lousy role model I would be if my kids had been with me.  One of my 50 new things is going to be to enter an A&S competition, since the concept makes me very anxious (not afraid, like with heights, but still,) and I am just so darned excited for you to get this conquered and get your work out there!  You are being a role model for ME!!!!  Thank you!!!

            And talk about starting with 'a bang'!  Wowzers!  I'm running an exhibition here soon (I have no problem entering those, it is just the 'please come judge me... uh, I mean, my STUFF' competitions that give me the sweats), and WISH I knew that I was going to have a dozen exhibits TOTAL!

            I'm sure that your Baroness will be VERY pleased (provided your fighters don't come straight from practice, or stop for a fix in the parking lot before coming in), and I certainly hope that you will be too - PLEASE write and let us know how it goes!

            BTW -  I also had to look up the word oxymel, only to find that it is the honey/sugar and vinegar base in sekanjabin; a pretty popular drink, especially at War.

            I'm curious what your other ***ELEVEN*** entries are going to be???

          • Maggie
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 8, 2007
              I totally sympathize with your fear of heights. I don't like heights
              or tight spaces. If you ever see Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel,
              there's this episode on the Mackinac Bridge... Mike Rowe in the
              inside of those pillars and then walking up the suspension cables...
              I can't watch that one. Gives me the shivers even thinking about it.

              Think positive. Your display will go well! For the last few years
              the barony didn't have 12 items in any of the Baronial Champions
              competitions so this one was a big, scary deal for everyone. And you
              can always display things in progress and note them as display only.
              That helps to fill out the field.

              Well, I've mostly recovered from the A&S event... I must get some
              better shoes for standing all day because I can't seem to talk, teach
              and show stuff off and actually stay seated. The event itself was a
              tremendous success. I'd prepped 40 tokens thinking that would surely
              be enough for the event and Queen's Prize next weekend. I don't know
              the final count of entries but there were more than 40 that weren't
              mine because I ran out of tokens! We had several people travel from
              the barony next door and a few came all the way from al-Barran!
              That's a 5-6 hour drive and a long drive for just a day event but
              they wanted to come and share in the A&S rebirth and share their
              stuff in a less pressure filled environment. The gentleman in the
              group, a laurel whose name is gone from my brain today, is writing a
              whole Creative Anachronist on turn-shoes. I saw his current draft.
              It's marvelous! Look for it to come out next year sometime.

              The Baroness was thrilled to have such great attendance at the first
              real A&S only event locally in years. It proves to everyone that A&S
              can be standalone and break even rather than losing money. I assume
              break-even though the final numbers won't be in for a few weeks. And
              the fighters consoled themselves with coming and dressing pretty...
              and hosting a class on German sword techniques without ever needing
              to don armor or get smelly. The brand new seneschal, a knight and
              avid fighter, actually made a lovely speach about how he loves to
              entertain on the field but when he's off field he hopes to be
              entertained by all our arts and wants to see a lot more A&S focused
              events, workshops and such. Huzzah!

              For my own stuff, my two classes went well though I really must plan
              each of them to be 1.5 to 2 hours each because they both ran long
              though everyone's classes ran long too. I set out a sign up sheet so
              that people who said "I want to learn that! Will you teach me?"
              could write down their contact info and I'd have a clue who asked for
              what later. That's still in the car but I know there were about 5
              names on the list that hadn't already asked about one thing or
              another.

              Here is what I ended up entering and displaying in the end...

              1. Viking costume - tunic, under tunic, apron dress, broach necklace,
              scarf displayed on my dress double - lots of oohs and ahs... It is
              incredibly weird seeing your outfit standing around without you in it.

              2. Women's Stockings / Hose - 5 sets of wool and linen stockings.
              This might have to be the first class scheduled this season because
              everyone was stunned that stockings were reasonably easy and really
              cool. I spent a lot of time pulling off my mundane socks and putting
              on the displayed ones so folks could see how they looked on. I must
              find a better way to display them next time. Flat just doesn't do
              them justice.

              3. "Cooler" cooler - papier mache covered cooler that looks less like
              a cooler than a box at first glance. I actually gave away my
              documentation to a young lady who wanted to do one with her daughter
              so they could do a project together.

              4. Nalbinding - some older mittens that hadn't ever been entered
              because the kittens trashed the set I was working on for the event 3
              days before the event. I love my kittens. They love my yarn. In
              the end the ones I'd been working on were a great demo piece in the
              class so I could show what happens if you don't do nice, secure, spit
              joins.

              5. Oxymel - Sekanjubin - I found two serving pieces that kept them
              contained and from being spilled all day. One gentleman
              remarked "ooo, the apple is just like coors but the balsamic vinegar,
              now that's guinness!!! Can I have all of it?" I let him fill his
              mug late in the day so I could take home less of the stuff.

              6. Eleanora of Toledo inspired gown - in progress gown that I've been
              beading for years and will be beading for years. I displayed this
              one to many oohs and ahs and "you are nuts" comments and a "hey
              honey, someone is as nuts as you are about beading" which actually
              had me trying not to double over laughing... it was a lady making
              that comment to her lord!

              7. Lucet cords - samples of various cording styles - I wanted to have
              more but I ran out. Funny thing is that both awards given at the
              event were held by cords I'd given to the Baroness earlier this
              year. Too cool. Now I have several requests to teach lucet cords on
              the 2 and the 4 horn models and one lord giving me dirty looks
              because his wife pointed and said "I want one! You can make me one!"

              8. Leather gloves - green leather, purple leather, red leather -
              major hit - everyone was disappointed that they fit me and not them
              though the red leather fit a close friend who might get them on her
              birthday with her arms on the back.

              9. 3 Finger Gloves - country men's gloves - now known in many minds
              as "nano, nano gloves" or "star trek live long and prosper gloves"
              or "alien gloves" because that's what everyone thinks of when they
              see them

              10. Wire weaving - wire necklace, bracelet and rings set along with
              the wire and tools that I needed for my class - lots of interest in
              what one can do that inspired more people to show for the class than
              I'd expected. We ran a half hour long on this one and I totally
              missed a friend's class. I'll plan better next time.

              11. Blackwork - linen shirt - displayed on dummy - good comments
              though it's not my best piece but it is the only one I still own...

              12. Drawn-thread napkins - display learning piece and in progress
              napkins - these were the biggest hit in the class taught by the lady
              who is teaching me because it gave her a few more samples for the
              class.

              13. Embroidery - borrow favor from Baron Knut - I did this favor
              years ago and it lived on a belt forever before moving to his wall -
              I know the men liked it. It's a nearly naked nymph emerging from a
              lake. Men always like this one. And when I realized that it had
              been "displayed" but never entered or displayed I borrowed it back
              because I was never going to finish the current embroidery request in
              time for the event.

              All told I am now 13 items closer to my goal of 50 with two more to
              go this coming weekend. The event isn't about judging which made it
              much easier to enter. It's like Laurel's Prize at Estrella... come
              out, be seen, maybe go home with some cool little tokens, and the
              baroness will give something little to her choice and something to
              the populace choice. I actually took populace choice though I'm not
              entirely sure what for... There was a cute guy and we were flirting
              in the back row so I wasn't really listening when they called my name
              in court but I did realize that I had to do more than wave
              acknowledgement... right after they said "Hey Lyssa, you have to come
              up here. Waving isn't good enough."

              The baroness gave me a little purple dragon she sewed herself "to
              help keep me under control or inspired as needed"... She called it
              the over-achiever dragon. And then she challenged everyone to
              display more than I had displayed next year... that's 3 tables worth
              of stuff. They're already planning next year's event. My sister-in-
              law, one of this year's autocrats, has already volunteered for next
              year's event and I'm her co-autocrat.

              I learned that sometimes it is not just good but important to show
              off your own work. I do a ton of stuff but mostly people don't see
              it. Now people who have been wanting to do some of the things that I
              do just to stay busy know who to talk to so they can learn. It also
              let people see how the little nalbinding stitches and wire weaving
              bits that I have taught them work into bigger items. It gave
              inspiration to a lot of folks. And it showed everyone that just
              because they say "a 3x5 card with what, when and where" written on it
              as documentation, you don't have to stick with the minimum. You can
              do 1 page without much effort and share what you know at the same
              time.

              One other thing that I didn't know was that one of my friends who
              taught her first class and had a great time never taught before
              because no one asked. I didn't know that when I asked if she would
              teach to help fill out the class schedule. I thought that as a music
              teacher professionally she just didn't teach because she needed a
              break. She was so happy to see that her knowledge was wanted, craved
              and happily received by the folks who want to know about period
              music. She's already talking about how to do it better next time.
              I'm already talking to her and her husband about setting their own
              A&S 50 Challenge goals.

              It was a great weekend!
              Lyssa
            • AlbredaA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 8, 2007
                In a message dated 10/8/2007 1:06:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, leofsige@... writes:
                It was a great weekend!
                And a great report!  I can't even begin to list all of the things that I want to congratulate you on out of it, so I will just say, as we do in the East, Vivat!!

                Albreda :)

              • S.E. Buchter
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Ok, I know its not a big deal, but I had so much fun doing it and am really proud of the result so I thought I would share.  I did the coronation cote for Andreas and Gabriella's baby.  Although it is not a huge project, the entire thing was hand sewn and I made the buttons.  I was especially proud that the brocade pattern matched up perfectly (I had never wored with patterned fabric before.)  I fit it to my son who loved to wear it, he never wanted to take it off.  I will eventually get detailed pics up on my photobucket.  But until then, coronation pictures (and the baby with the cote I made) are at  http://picasaweb.google.com/kmcorriganjr/Coronation   if anyone wants to check it out.

                  Thanks for letting me waste some bandwidth.

                  Ysemay

                  "Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say"--5.3.323 King Lear

                • AlbredaA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Sit down, Ysemay; I need to talk to you, and the rest of you might as well listen in, too.

                    #1)  The cote looks *terrific,* and the buttons are gorgeous (and how you got them so identical, or how you have time to outfit not only your OWN kids, but someone else's too, I do NOT know!)  Thanks for sharing it with us!

                    #2)  If you want to be all super-self deprecating, go do it on the apprentice list. ;)  THIS list is all about sharing our work and accomplishments and celebrating them together.  If I EVER again catch you apologizing for 'wasting bandwith' under a subject line of 'my latest project' I'm going to smack you with a wet noodle!!!

                    Got it?  Were the rest of you listening?

                    Good; do NOT make me have this conversation again.  ;)

                    Albreda, feeling all sassy mama-bear this morning

                  • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
                      I have to take up my  wand of power and thwack you smartly on your knuckles young lady!  It is a big deal and it's quite lovely.
                      We so often judge a project by its size or volume or complexity instead of the quality of the project and the joy a well made item gives us.  A lady in our BArony makes delightful embroidered christmas ornaments and we consider ourselves quite fortunate when given one.  So - donot devalue a project just because it's small or simple.

                      Okay - soap box back in its place now.

                      CHagan

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
                        In a message dated 10/12/2007 7:33:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chagankhulan@... writes:
                        So - donot devalue a project just because it's small or simple.

                        Heck, when a project can be small, simple, cheap and fast, I'm in heaven!  Large size and huge complexity often makes me think LESS of a project!  The real craftsmanship sometimes shows up better in a project like this - like her buttons!

                      • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 12, 2007
                          Yes in deedy do!

                          Chagan