Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Question regarding Inkle weaving

  • AlbredaA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
      In a message dated 10/3/2008 3:49:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alaws@... writes:

      Again this sounds like it could work, but can you be a little more specific, or provide pictures of what you mean.

      I am very new to weaving (I haven’t actually DONE it at all, only read about it, and seen demos).

      I learned how to tapestry weave out of a book, so I'm confident that you can do this!

      Have you seen a backstrap loom?  Basically, you tie the warp to your belt (aka a back strap), run it through your rigid heddle, pack of tablet weaving cards, etc, then tie it up to a door knob.  Voila!  Insta loom!  It works really well in that you can just lean back and forth to change the tension of the warp threads, and can just untie and retie to your belt to advance your warp (ie work on the next bit of weaving).  If you keep the spools hanging from the doorknob, you can just put a slip knot on the doorknob, and advance that as you go as well.

      As much as I understand your desire to not have to deal with setting up a long warp, you might find buying that many spools of warp cost prohibitive anyway.  Doing it the way I said above, but with just really long warps cut off and bundled up, would work just fine.

      Good luck!
      Albreda

      New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
    • Laws, Amber D.
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008

        What book/s did you learn from?

        Eleanor de Poitiers - Co-Herald, Barony of Osprey, Meridies

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
          In a message dated 10/3/2008 6:27:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alaws@... writes:
          What book/s did you learn from?
          Ah Hah!  Nancy Harvey all the way!  Carol Russel is ok, but go with NH if at all possible.

          If you actually DO try to learn tapestry this way, hit me up to explain how to move your hands for weft interlock so you don't waste two years doing it the hard way like I did.  Seriously.

          >:)  More tapestry junkies.  >:)

          Albreda

          New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
        • Mike C. Baker
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
            Backstrap can also be done with the "far end" as a loop around the
            weaver's big toe / foot / etc. (Observed, not done myself...)

            Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

            Mike C. Baker
            SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
            Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
            alt. e-mail: KiheBard@... OR MikeCBaker@...
            Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
            http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
              In a message dated 10/3/2008 8:05:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, KiheBard@... writes:
              Backstrap can also be done with the "far end" as a loop around the
              weaver's big toe / foot / etc. (Observed, not done myself...)
              Oh I've done that, years ago - the charley horse I got from it is *almost* gone.  ;)

              It works, but OUCH!

              Albreda

              New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
            • E. Mallory
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
                it's called a box loom... there are plans online if I'm not mistaken...

                you are limited only based on the size of the box you want to tote around, and some of these can create some interesting card-woven designs...

                and, yes - the box loom is period according to the site I saw... let me see if I can find it...
                (search mode on)

                first hit:
                http://www.heatherspages.net/tape%20loom.htm
                Tape Loom - looks close...

                There we go..."14th Century Medieval Box Loom"
                http://www.thejoynersshop.com/furnishings_TapeLooms.html

                hope those links, and the keywords open up enough info for you... there was a reference site I found with plans once upon a time... I will have to see if I can find them - I think I downloaded them into my loom reference folder...
                (Checking)
                found html page saved:
                Making a Boxloom
                by Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel
                ...link to picture in html page:
                http://www.chateau-michel.org/laploom1.jpg
                original html site:
                http://www.chateau-michel.org/boxloom.htm
                there you go... that's the one I've seen... it can be used as a rigid heddle, or card weaving loom depending on how you build it, and whether or not you want to deal with the rigid heddle...

                hope this was helpful...

                .//Eric//.
                Lord Eric the colorer - aka Eric Mallory,
                professional computer geek, and search engine maven...
              • AlbredaA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2008
                  In a message dated 10/3/2008 10:42:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, emallory@... writes:
                  There we go..."14th Century Medieval Box Loom"
                  http://www.thejoyne rsshop.com/ furnishings_ TapeLooms. html
                  Yup - that's a rigid heddle loom, alright!

                  :)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008

                    Thanks!

                    I am absolutely a thread junkie… I haven’t gotten to tapestry yet, but it is in the works. When I get there, I will obviously contact you as you are clearly a fabulous source for most things stringy!