Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] RE: [tagom] Re: Question regarding Inkle weaving

  • Dianna Haught
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2008
      This sounds alot like a Viking upright loom, only a smaller version.  The looms I've seen a picture of are a sort of upright frame with a center bar and the warp threads hanging off the bottom attached to weights. Here's a picture: http://www.regia.org/textiles.htm
      Avacyn

      A friend of mine did this with weights.
      She used cans of soup (in little bags she�d sewn up) to anchor the warp chain coming off the back of the inkle (think warp-weighted loom) and she tied off the weaving coming off the front of the inkle to the bar in the front, the one that moves back and forth and is normally used to tension the warp.
      She did carry it about with her, although it looked a little weird and was pretty unwieldy with the weights and all. And if I recall correctly, she used a little folding TV table she had because putting it in her lap was a bit too unsteady with the weights hanging off the back.
      Sorry; that�s as clear as mud, isn�t it?  If anyone�s going to be at Crown List next weekend, I can show you what I�m talking about.
      Fionnabhair
      Shire of Glaedenfeld