Re: Turkey for Europeans.

  • pickettej
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Aldyet Le
      Chaundeleur" <aldyet@...> wrote:

      > I think this is a marvelous challenge and I wish you the best of
      luck.

      > My only question for you is.....Will you share all your wonderful
      new
      > knowledge and recipes
      >
      > Verena (who LOVES Turkey!)
      >
      > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM, pickettej <pickette@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have formalized my personal challenge in response to some
      critics:
      > > "Publish proof that even sceptics will understand, that 'Turkey
      is XVI
      > > Century' period, with 50 recipes." The first respie will be 'Pavo
      Mole
      > > Poblano (1527)'
      > > Your Studious Servant,
      > >
      > > James of Odo (Calontir)
      > > Fidelibus
      > >

      > --
      > Lady Verena Entenwirth
      > Visit my German Ren blog
      > www.die-naherin.broomstich.com
      >
      > Visit my A&S 50 Competition Page
      > http://www.broomstich.com/SCA50/About.html

      My Dear Lady Lady Verena Entenwirth,

      The first word of my challenge was, "Publish." You shall see it
      it all.

      James of Odo (Calontir)
      Fidelibus
    • pickettej
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2008
        --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah
        <lilinah@...> wrote:

        > >I have formalized my personal challenge in response to some
        critics:
        > >"Publish proof that even sceptics will understand, that 'Turkey is
        XVI
        > >Century' period, with 50 recipes." The first respie will be 'Pavo
        Mole
        > >Poblano (1527)'
        > >Your Studious Servant,
        > >
        > >James of Odo (Calontir)
        > >Fidelibus
        >
        > It's pretty well accepted among experienced SCA cooks who have done
        > research that turkey was fairly quickly adopted in Europe. Turkey
        was
        > one of the few things from the New World that was accepted, sweet
        > potatoes being another. Most took quite some time, however.
        >
        > While I sincerely doubt you will find 50 existing recipes for it,
        if
        > you ask on the SCA-Cooks list, i'm sure that several of the many
        well
        > informed people can point you to "period" resources.
        >
        > SCA-Cooks is an SCA-wide list and often includes food scholars and
        > food historians from outside the SCA.
        >
        > Subscribe:
        ansteorra.org
        > by e-mail: mailto:sca-cooks-request@...?subject=subscribe
        > --
        > Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        > the persona formerly known as Anahita
        >
        > My LibraryThing
        > http://www.librarything.com/catalog/lilinah

        My Lord or Lady Urtatim,

        I thank you for the reference. Such help is very welcome. I
        too have been surprised at how many people deny the XVI century
        European turkey use.

        James of Odo (Calontir)
        Fidelibus