Re:Follow-up to No Pennsic Pity update

  • E. Mallory
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5 12:53 PM
      Well - on a plus note, I DID find my fiber stash... the plastic tub that houses all my current fiber rolls/skeins/etc...

      now if I can just settle on a pattern or two to get started, I can get Warped!

      .//Eric//.

      (that was only a half pun...)
    • Dianna Haught
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 1:53 PM
        His name is Spike. He's a 4 month old blond tabby. He is no help. Our fiber guild has challenaged each other to weave 50 yards of any kind of weaving as part of the 50 challenage. Our kingdom has asked for its inkle weavers to produce some belts for kids to wear at camping events with ID pouches. I've done three weaving projects already this year: a pick up inkle belt in wool, a barred inkle belt in cotton and a card weaving trim (my first card weaving project!) Combining the guild challenage with the Kingdom's needs as part of my the 50's challenage seemed like an ideal situation. Then came Spike. He LOVES mommy's strings. He chewed the cards on the card weaving on the smaller loom, so I have to get new cards and redo the whole loom because the cards no longer will turn without sticky to each and falling apart. He has undone at least one project and stolen the fingerless gloves I started as a nalbinding project and managed to turn it into a fluffy knot cat toy. I often find bats of wool that I've carded in odd places around the house. Last night he chewed the warp string up on the big loom that I am weaving kids' belts on and stole the shuttle. Yes. Stole the shuttle. I can't find it. I've looked in all the obvious cat places.

        Why you ask, don't you just put the stuff where he can't get to it? Answer: I don't know anyone who lives close who would be crazy about me storing my projects at their house. You see, my house is one of those that has the interiour doors installed in such a way that they don't quite touch the floor. The cats have found that if they hook their paws under the doors and rattle the doors long enough, the doors will come open. Our older cat Black Jack just does this to get into a room, usually my office, and then looks at me smuggly (ha! thought you'd keep me out!) but Spike is an angel of destruction. (I knew I shouldn't have named him after a James Marsters character, but wasn't he just edible on Torchwood?) LOL Some days are more challenaging than others.
        Avacyn
        English doesn't just borrow words from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, hits them over the head with old beer bottles and rummages through their pockets for loose grammar.
      • Kathy Haverinen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5 2:22 PM
          It sounds to me like Spike is a great deal of help!  The kind that only a loved Kitten could get away with!

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5 2:38 PM
            If I may offer a suggestion?  (This from the woman who has had
            a LONG line of "but I wanna help" kitties)....

            Go to the hardware store, and buy an eyebolt, and a hook.
            Install them on the *outside* of the door of the room where
            you want to keep your projects.

            Even if you're in an apartment, you can fill in a minimal hole left
            by a hook and eye latch with wood putty.

            Then...no more of the "kitty popping the door open."

            Whereupon, of course, he will move on to some other way of keeping
            you "entertained"...but at least your projects will be spared further
            indignity.

            My current "helper" is named "DOWN!" (or...at least...I'm sure he
            *thinks* that's what his name is)

            Fiondel

            Reveal your inner athlete and share it with friends on Windows Live. Share now!
          • Albreda Aylese
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5 3:57 PM
              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Dianna Haught
              <avacyn@...> wrote:

              > His name is Spike. He's a 4 month old blond tabby. He is no help.

              The closest being I've ever had to a soulmate was a cat named Spike,
              and he died in March. He used to LOVE to chew on anything resembling a
              warp string under tension, and I think he may have reincarnated as a
              blond. >:)

              Give him kisses from me, and buy tupperware to put your projects in.

              Albreda
            • geccoeert@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5 7:08 PM
                LOL

                That sound so familiar. In my case, my helpers are a crochety 13 year old Tuxedo Cat, Grizabella, aka the House Goddess, who firmly believes that all fabric was put on Earth for cats to lounge on. She gets very unhappy when you move her off her chosen fabric du jour. She also occupies the chair for the sewing machine, and likewise gets snotty when moved off of said chair.

                Number two helper is our Navy daughter's cat (we're cat sitting for her), a one-year old Apricot tabby, Tommy, aka Trouble, who discovered the joys of pulling then pins out of seams being sewn-with his toes. He then wants to chew on the pins. He also plays with anything dangling-like my tatting and embroidery. (He's still a kitten at heart-and his cuddling makes up for the mischief.)

                And finally, Amy, the sheltie, who regards it as her duty as the Sheep Dog to check out the fabric, and then stand (or lay down) on guard duty over the sewing room door-in case fabric thieves/monsters/whatever stage a home invasion.

                The only pets who don't involve themselves in my sewing and costuming are the koi in the garden pond-probably because I don't work underwater.

                Your little helper is all kitten. Alas, too soon they slow down and get old.

                Miyamoto

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5 7:56 PM
                  I have two cats. The older one, Smidgeon, occasionally interferes with what I'm doing
                  by requesting he be petting, which is a normal thing for cats, dogs, children, and spouses.
                  I am not stressed by this.

                  The younger cat, George, however, has been known to walk across whatever old book
                  or manuscript I'm trying to photograph, and then plop himself down _on_ the book or
                  ms. and wait to be petted.

                  I haven't killed him yet. I don't quite know why, but I haven't. The only saving grace is
                  that vellum that's lasted this long can survive being walked upon by a cat, I guess.

                  Alban
                • Brenda G.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 11 10:15 PM
                    >>His name is Spike. He's a 4 month old blond tabby. He is no help.

                    Oh, I know this game!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2471799249/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2755298749/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2357603076/

                    And the other one:
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2513423330/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2356769441/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2356769377/

                    Brígiða Vadesbana (Brighid Anraith)
                    http://ooo-shiiiny.livejournal.com/

                    Brenda G
                    http://thepassingstranger-brenda.blogspot.com/

                    We don’t stop with asking what a tool does. We ask about what kind of people we become when we use it. ~Anon. Amish machine-shop owner

                  • Kathy Haverinen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 12 4:58 AM
                      I love the picture in the loom!  I am glad cats are the same everywhere!

                    • Weaver8002@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 12 7:48 AM
                        Lovely pictures.  my husband's cat and I have had langth discusions about what will happen to him if he messes with my loom - the words "fur muff" were mentioned.

                        Margherita the lurker

                        >>His name is Spike. He's a 4 month old blond tabby. He is no help.

                        Oh, I know this game!
                        http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2471799249/
                        http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2755298749/
                        http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2357603076/

                        And the other one:
                        http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2513423330/
                        http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2356769441/ http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 85834740@ N00/2356769377/

                        Brígiða Vadesbana (Brighid Anraith)
                        http://ooo-shiiiny. livejournal. com/

                        Brenda G
                        http://thepassingst ranger-brenda. blogspot. com/

                        We don’t stop with asking what a tool does. We ask about what kind of people we become when we use it. ~Anon. Amish machine-shop owner

                      • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 12 8:47 AM

                          And a lovely pewter tone fur muff he would make... but give him a break, he's only trying to help....;-)

                          Chagan