Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Re: Kingdom Coordinator Job Description, Persona Skills Handbook

  • faerdragon@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
      > It is SO funny that you mention this, as I actually worked up a
      > few 'badges' with activities for kids (and adults) at various levels
      > of desire and experience just a few years ago. I worry a bit about
      > the 'checklist' approach this might suggest to some folks, but it
      > certainly has lots of merit (pardon the pun) as an idea, especially
      > if we keep the emphasis on youth and novices as an exploratory tool.
      > (the language and cognitive and independant skillsets required for it
      > to work as a youth program are complex, but it does have a lot of
      > potential, and could be REALLY fun).
      A few years ago the Kingdom of the West had this type of set up for the pages and newbies. It's been a while since I saw a copy but the last place I saw it was in Oertha.
      Gilliana of Bedlem Wood
    • Christine Vogel
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
        Oh! this I like, I think you are onto something in several different ways.

        Sharon Gordon <gordonse@...> wrote:
        <snip>
        Another thing I¬íve thought would be fun and helpful would be a webbed book that  was sort of like a combination of the Known World Handbook and the badge section of a senior level student or adult scouting handbook.  Each section could have introductory information, a resource section, and then a list of activities to try.
        <snip>
        A "scouting" type handbook would be a wonderful starting off point for trying new skill sets.  It would also be a good way to compile handouts and links to bring information together in a way that helps people get started.

        Sharon Gordon <gordonse@...> wrote:
        <snip>
        In addition to organizing the list topically, it might also help to order it in a way that takes into account the order that a new person would most likely want to acquire the skills and objects
        1)       What people need most (1 set of basic garb and feast gear)
        2)       What skills most baronies can teach and that use minimal tools or quality but inexpensive tools
        3)       Medium levels of material objects and skills that enhance the fun and ambiance and would be useful to most personas
        4)       Advanced and rare skills, objects for rarer occasions, and objects that would be used to make other items, not-very-portable objects

        Sharon     gordonse@...
        This dovetails nicely with my personal AS 50 goal - to do 50 things that encourage my participation as an SCA member.  (No, I didn't post it, it seemed silly.)  I'm kinda a stealth member now.  I got involved because of a friend and because I love calligraphy/illumination.  So I'm real active in the Scriptorium but you'd have a hard time finding me at a regular event.  Now I want to be more involved but don't really know where to start with some things.  Okay, I can make a t-tunic and a cyclas but where and when could I be from wearing it and what do I really need to take to feast.  Anyway, the type of ordering you are talking about would be extremely helpful.

        Keep Thinking!
            Christine of Marinus

      • AlbredaA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
          In a message dated 2/8/2008 8:47:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ckvogel_23456@... writes:
          1)       What people need most (1 set of basic garb and feast gear)
          2)&nb sp;      What skills most baronies can teach and that use minimal tools or quality but inexpensive tools
          Sharon     gordonse@one. net
          This dovetails nicely with my personal AS 50 goal - to do 50 things that encourage my participation as an SCA member.  (No, I didn't post it, it seemed silly.)  I'm kinda a stealth member now.  I got involved because of a friend and because I love calligraphy/ illumination.  So I'm real active in the Scriptorium but you'd have a hard time finding me at a regular event.  Now I want to be more involved but don't really know where to start with some things.  Okay, I can make a t-tunic and a cyclas but where and when could I be from wearing it and what do I really need to take to feast.  Anyway, the type of ordering you are talking about would be extremely helpful.

          Keep Thinking!
              Christine of Marinus
          So what would you want to see from us, to help you implement this in your own Challenge?  (and no, your goal doesn't seem silly!)

          Albreda

        • Christine Vogel
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
            <So what would you want to see from us, to help you implement this in your own Challenge?  (and no, your goal doesn't seem silly!)
            Albreda>

            Well, what I've been doing is coming up with a list of 50 things that I think an active SCAdian should do.  Examples:  have garb and a change, have a feast basket, have a medieval purse substitute, attend an Activity night regularly, attend a local event, attend a Kingdom event . . . list goes on.

            How this all works into encouraging me to be a more active member is simple.  I need basic good garb & stuff to attend events and show off my illuminations.  Hopefully a good event will make me want to attend again which leads me to improve my "stuff" and my skills.

            Where I run into trouble is how to impliment my ideas.  Take the garb, I need new garb.  I no longer fit my beginners garb and I'd like to move beyond generic newcomers styles.  So, I found a wonderful web site on how to sew a basic, medieval style t-tunic :
            And a cyclas is just a t-tunic without arms, right.  So now I can make a tunic but I have to work with the fabric I have on hand for monitary reasons.  I have a nice butternut colored cotton for the tunic and a length of black cotton that I could make the cyclas out of.

            Question 1:  was black used for clothing in period?
            Question 2:  what might it have signified?
            Question 3:  if I wear this, where do I look like I'm from?
            Question 4:  what types of accessories do I need and of what styles? (should I be wearing a veil?  what color? what type?  how about shoes? a belt?)

            See, simple questions, if you know the answers.  As to what the community could provide, [other than answers to my current quandries   :)  ]  it would be interesting to see what other people think the basic needs of a SCAdian are.  So, here are three questions for thought:

            1)  What are the top ten things you think every SCAdian should have?

            2)  How would you go about making or getting them?

            3)  What top ten things should every SCAdian do?

            And with that I bid you Good Night - Christine of Marinus

            In a message dated 2/8/2008 8:47:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ckvogel_23456@... writes:

            This dovetails nicely with my personal AS 50 goal - to do 50 things that encourage my participation as an SCA member.  (No, I didn't post it, it seemed silly.)  I'm kinda a stealth member now.  I got involved because of a friend and because I love calligraphy/ illumination.  So I'm real active in the Scriptorium but you'd have a hard time finding me at a regular event.  Now I want to be more involved but don't really know where to start with some things.  Okay, I can make a t-tunic and a cyclas but where and when could I be from wearing it and what do I really need to take to feast.  Anyway, the type of ordering you are talking about would be extremely helpful.

            Keep Thinking! -     Christine of Marinus

          • Albreda Aylese
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
              Sigh - I had just almost finished a VERY lengthy response to this,
              when I hit something that made it all go kaflooey. Rats!

              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Christine Vogel
              <ckvogel_23456@...> wrote:

              > <So what would you want to see from us, to help you implement
              this in your own Challenge? (and no, your goal doesn't seem silly!)

              > Albreda>
              >
              > Well, what I've been doing is coming up with a list of 50 things
              that I think an active SCAdian should do. Examples: have garb and a
              change, have a feast basket, have a medieval purse substitute, attend
              an Activity night regularly, attend a local event, attend a Kingdom
              event . . . list goes on.

              > How this all works into encouraging me to be a more active member
              is simple. I need basic good garb & stuff to attend events and show
              off my illuminations. Hopefully a good event will make me want to
              attend again which leads me to improve my "stuff" and my skills.

              Just for the record, practically every event has both Gold Key
              (loaner garb) and someone with extra feast gear ready to lend out.
              No one expects someone to show up in the SCA knowing/having all the
              trimmings, in fact, one of the best ways to get them is to talk to
              folks at events, ask questions, and be offered help.

              http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML )
              > And a cyclas is just a t-tunic without arms, right. So now I can
              make a tunic but I have to work with the fabric I have on hand for
              monitary reasons. I have a nice butternut colored cotton for the
              tunic and a length of black cotton that I could make the cyclas out
              of.

              The cyclas was worn in a bunch of periods and places, but most
              notably in ancient Rome, and 14th century Western Europe. A Viking
              apron, or sideless surcoat are other options that use about the same
              amount of fabric and give you some other persona choices.

              > Question 1: was black used for clothing in period? (Bippi?) I
              think black walnut with an iron mordant would give a faded black?
              > Question 2: what might it have signified? I don't recall black
              having a specific signification, but the deeper the tone (unless you
              wove it from colored wool), probably the fancier the garment, since
              it was either dyed more expensively, or hasn't faded yet.
              > Question 3: if I wear this, where do I look like I'm from?
              > Question 4: what types of accessories do I need and of what
              styles? (should I be wearing a veil? what color? what type? how
              about shoes? a belt?)

              Most Scadians don't have period shoes, and these questions are very
              period/culture specific anyway.

              > See, simple questions, if you know the answers. As to what the
              community could provide, [other than answers to my current
              quandries :) ] it would be interesting to see what other people
              think the basic needs of a SCAdian are. So, here are three questions
              for thought:

              As for the rest of your questions (top tens), I'm interested to hear
              what others have to say before I jump in. ;)

              Best of luck!
              Albreda

              > 1) What are the top ten things you think every SCAdian should
              have?

              > 2) How would you go about making or getting them?
              >
              > 3) What top ten things should every SCAdian do?
              >
              > And with that I bid you Good Night - Christine of Marinus
              >

              > In a message dated 2/8/2008 8:47:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              ckvogel_23456@... writes:

              > This dovetails nicely with my personal AS 50 goal - to do 50
              things that encourage my participation as an SCA member. (No, I
              didn't post it, it seemed silly.) I'm kinda a stealth member now. I
              got involved because of a friend and because I love
              calligraphy/illumination. So I'm real active in the Scriptorium but
              you'd have a hard time finding me at a regular event. Now I want to
              be more involved but don't really know where to start with some
              things. Okay, I can make a t-tunic and a cyclas but where and when
              could I be from wearing it and what do I really need to take to
              feast. Anyway, the type of ordering you are talking about would be
              extremely helpful.

              > Keep Thinking! - Christine of Marinus
              >

              > ---------------------------------

            • the Brinsmeads
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                I've some ideas being developed for Lochac for youth activities - the
                Schola. I'll put my early working documents into the files section
                (Schola folder), and there is a re-write happening to focus to an
                'outcomes and objectives' principle, not merely 'activity'. Well the
                trained teachers and child care workers who are helping me explained it
                much better - and in my layman's terms its changing the thinking to more
                'by the end of the session they will know and have done' rather than
                'session is to do'. They are also helping set out 'lesson
                plans'/frameworks to help new to kids see that setting up a sessin for
                kids isn't really that different. The pack will also include some
                guides on child development eg attention spans, more practical than
                abstract/theoretical, and things like that.

                Ragnhildr
              • Albreda Aylese
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, the Brinsmeads
                  <the_brinsmeads@...> wrote:

                  > I've some ideas being developed for Lochac for youth activities -
                  the
                  > Schola. I'll put my early working documents into the files section
                  > (Schola folder), and there is a re-write happening to focus to an
                  > 'outcomes and objectives' principle, not merely 'activity'. Well
                  the
                  > trained teachers and child care workers who are helping me
                  explained it
                  > much better - and in my layman's terms its changing the thinking to
                  more
                  > 'by the end of the session they will know and have done' rather
                  than
                  > 'session is to do'. They are also helping set out 'lesson
                  > plans'/frameworks to help new to kids see that setting up a sessin
                  for
                  > kids isn't really that different. The pack will also include some
                  > guides on child development eg attention spans, more practical than
                  > abstract/theoretical, and things like that.
                  >
                  > Ragnhildr

                  I haven't taken a look at the files yet, but thank you very much for
                  sharing them! I'm a professional educator myself, so the 'outcomes
                  and objectives' approach is very familiar to me.

                  You may have noted in my writings that what folks do for the
                  Challenge is secondary to how they go about doing it; collaboration,
                  trying new things, and enjoying the process are all more important to
                  me. My overarching 'outcome and objective' for the Challenge is to
                  make A&S in the SCA more about discovery and joy and sharing, and
                  less about competing with one another, the grind of developing
                  one's 'career', and working (and struggling) in isolation.

                  This approach to education/projects of any sort keeps one's 'eyes on
                  the prize' instead of getting bogged down in details that might not
                  help one reach one's goals anyway! That is why for the A&S 50
                  Challenge, YOU decide what you want to do, and how you want to do
                  it.

                  There are a couple of distinct skills that I think we could each use
                  some improvement in, regardless of our current level; namely,
                  teaching and documentation. These, to me, are tools that are fairly
                  critical in our mission here at A&S 50 - "to learn and share of our
                  learning, to create and share of our creation." So - I'm working up
                  a library of resources around these subjects. Having Ragnhildr start
                  us off with a piece explaining educational philosophy here is a GREAT
                  start!!!

                  Thank you!