The Class List

  • Albreda Aylese
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hey folks -

      Sorry I've been AWOL, but we've now moved into the new bedroom (still
      have the baseboards to put up, but that's it), and have postponed the
      kitchen work for a month, and are hoping our son will be arriving
      even sooner than originally anticipated, since he's already estimated
      to be over seven pounds with, theoretically, a whole month to go!

      So, I'm obviously not going to Pennsic War; that isn't news, but with
      the class schedule up (at last!), I'm feeling it more than ever.
      Ergo, I've decided to live vicariously, or at least as much as I can,
      and I have questions for you (pretend you are going, even if you
      aren't):

      What class/A&S event are you most excited about either attending or
      having offered?
      What class would you like to see offered that isn't? (Explain why!)
      What classes are YOU teaching, if any, and WHEN ARE THEY? (Shameless
      plug time!)

      Just to get it out there, I haven't even gotten to look at the
      schedule as posted on PennsicWar.org, but I DO know that if I *were*
      going to get to War this year, I would NOT be missing the Attack
      Laurel's party at Atlantia Royal on Tuesday night of War Week. Holy
      Authentic Late Period Garb, Elizabethan Man!

      How about you?

      Albreda (who WILL have her brown linen dress done to wear to War Camp
      this weekend!!!))
    • euriol
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 2, 2008
        I haven't really looked at the entire list of classes yet, and have not
        decided to commit to taking any. However, the all day shoe making class
        looks very tempting.

        I'm not certain of what class I'd like to see offered, however I get the
        impression that there don't seem to be a lot of "mid-level" classes. There
        are basic classes and advanced classes, but not many between the two.

        Classes I am teaching are:
        Medieval Beverages for a Hot Day (This has been well attended the last
        couple of years)
        Before Bechamel & Hollandaise: An Introduction to Medieval Sauces (another
        repeat)
        Take a Quayle and Sle Him: Beginner's Guide to Redacting Recipes (new)
        Decorative Embroidery for Garb (repeat - and geared towards that mid-level
        spectrum)

        Euriol

        On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:48:45 -0000, wrote:
        > Hey folks -
        >

        > What class/A&S event are you most excited about either attending or
        > having offered?
        > What class would you like to see offered that isn't? (Explain why!)
        > What classes are YOU teaching, if any, and WHEN ARE THEY? (Shameless
        > plug time!)

      • Paula McClellan
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008

          One of my 50 projects is to teach at a War.  I am starting small: teaching at Atenveldt's Highland War in August.  I am teaching a beginning garb making class that allows  you to measure yourself/someone else and create an almost foolproof garment.  It easily adapts for Viking, Norman or Byzantine.  It is also easily altered into a coat.

          One of the Ladies in Our Barony is (I think) teaching a glass etching class at the same war.

          Muirenn

        • Brenda G.
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
            >>What class/A&S event are you most excited about either attending or having offered?

            Well, I'm not going to Pennsic, but if I were, Archaeological Textiles and Tools from the Museums of Europe would be making me squeal. Also, The Mind of the Period Craftsman, Topping it Off: Finishing Your Look with a Hat, Baking Bread in Your Firepit, Bag Cheese Quick and Easy (is that by the lady you know, Albreda?  and if it is can you put me in contact with her?), Medieval style Mustards (mmmmmmmmustard!), Diet and Nutrition in Early Britain, On Foxes and Fairies, Boreal Master Symposium (it can't ALL be serious!), What Makes a Norsewoman Vaen?, Baba-Yaga: The Archvillianess of Russian Folklore, Hobu: Japanese Dance Festival, Introduction to Go, Viking Chess, The Hunt for the Unicorn Tapestries (of COURSE), Basics of Jewelry Fabrication, Building Blocks of Old English Poetry, Ken You Dig It? (intro to Norse Kennings), Basics of Norse Poetry, Samurai Poet: Poetry of Court and Field, Classical Cryptology:Codes and Ciphers from Antiquity, Scented Oils, ...

            There's at LEAST a couple dozen more that sounded interesting, but I know I can find someone here to teach me, or I know just enough about it already to figure it out on my own with a good book or three.

            >>What classes are YOU teaching, if any

            Well, like I said, I'm not going.  But if anyone here is going to Quad War in Avacal (Saskatchewan), I'm teaching a class on knotted weaving (rugs and stuff--I aim to take over the world with shaggy cloaks while I'm at it!). At least, I think I am.  The schedule seems to be up, and I'm not on it.  Hmmmm. I need to check that.

            Brígiða Vadesbana (Brighid Anraith)
            http://ooo-shiiiny.livejournal.com/

            Brenda G
            http://thepassingstranger-brenda.blogspot.com/

            We don’t stop with asking what a tool does. We ask about what kind of people we become when we use it. ~Anon. Amish machine-shop owner

            Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free today!
          • Albreda Aylese
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Paula McClellan
              <sam21011@...> wrote:

              teaching at Atenveldt's Highland War in August.  I am teaching a
              beginning garb making class that allows  you to measure
              yourself/someone else and create an almost foolproof garment.  It
              easily adapts for Viking, Norman or Byzantine.  It is also easily
              altered into a coat.

              Wow - that sounds like a neat way of measuring! (Getting one's own
              measurements is often a bear, for those who haven't tried it.) If you
              have a handout, or could explain the process to us sometime, I KNOW
              there would be lots of folks interested!!

              Good luck with your class, and let us know how it goes!!! :)
              Albreda
            • Albreda Aylese
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Brenda G.
                <thepassingstranger@...> wrote:

                > >>What class/A&S event are you most excited about either attending or
                having offered?

                > Well, I'm not going to Pennsic, but if I were, Archaeological
                Textiles and Tools from the Museums of Europe would be making me
                squeal.

                Ooh - me too! (And this is why I haven't read the list yet - I KNOW
                I'll be PINING to go as soon as I do!!! 'Rain, bugs, heat, and too
                much walking' needs to be my mantra to break the craving on some days!)
                But yeah, basically I think I could have an AMAZING War just by
                following you around to the classes you list; you have great taste! ;)

                Bag Cheese Quick and Easy (is that by the lady you know, Albreda? and
                if it is can you put me in contact with her
                Ardenia ARuadh, OP teaches that, and yes, she is a dear friend of mine,
                and yes, her class ROCKS. I'll send you her email address. :)

                if anyone here is going to Quad War in Avacal (Saskatchewan), I'm
                teaching a class on knotted weaving (rugs and stuff--I aim to take over
                the world with shaggy cloaks while I'm at it!).

                Ooh!!! I've wanted to try knotted rugs for a while now - if you have a
                handout, your friendly Society A&S 50 Coordinator would LOVE LOVE LOVE
                a copy! (ain't I subtle? ;)

                Albreda
              • ursula.widow
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                  --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, euriol <euriol@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Classes I am teaching are:
                  > Medieval Beverages for a Hot Day (This has been well attended the last
                  > couple of years)
                  > Decorative Embroidery for Garb (repeat - and geared towards that mid-
                  level
                  > spectrum)
                  >
                  > Euriol

                  A juicy chuckle. Both of those were already on my calendar -- I refuse
                  to describe the weenie-like way in which I am laying out my schedule --
                  and I will enjoy them all the more now that I get to learn from a 50-
                  Challenger.

                  Can I ask a general question? Do any of you fight? I am supposed to be
                  fighting my first battle this Pennsic, but when I saw what I would be
                  missing, I seriously wondered whether it was worth it. Should I fight
                  at all? Do I really need to?

                  I welcome opinions.

                  Ursula
                • Albreda Aylese
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                    --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "ursula.widow"
                    <mhartzcoutts@...> wrote:
                    >Do any of you fight? I am supposed to be
                    > fighting my first battle this Pennsic, but when I saw what I would be
                    > missing, I seriously wondered whether it was worth it. Should I fight
                    > at all? Do I really need to?
                    >
                    > Ursula

                    I don't fight, but I have to say that if I did, I would NOT want to
                    miss the field battle for love nor money, and the woods battle would be
                    sorely tempting too, but I live in Vermont, so maybe I'm drawn to the
                    woods more than most.

                    If you have a shower in your own camp, so you can do a quick turnaround
                    and get out to class, there really should be no reason you can't do
                    both, as long as you are selective about your battles and classes. The
                    field battle is amazing though - I used to waterbear it (back before my
                    body started complaining too much), and it was amazing to be part of in
                    even that peripheral way. If you don't want to do it every year, then
                    don't, but do yourself a favor this year, and fight at least that
                    one. :)

                    Albreda
                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                      I printed out the whole list, then sat down at lunch with a highlighter
                      and picked everything I thought I would like. Then I got some lined paper
                      and made columns for each of the dates. It is quite funny how many classes
                      I have for each day - I have 3 11:00 classes on Wed of war week! I guess
                      I'll have to prune.
                      Barbeta

                      > --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, euriol <euriol@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> Classes I am teaching are:
                      >> Medieval Beverages for a Hot Day (This has been well attended the last
                      >> couple of years)
                      >> Decorative Embroidery for Garb (repeat - and geared towards that mid-
                      > level
                      >> spectrum)
                      >>
                      >> Euriol
                      >
                      > A juicy chuckle. Both of those were already on my calendar -- I refuse
                      > to describe the weenie-like way in which I am laying out my schedule --
                      > and I will enjoy them all the more now that I get to learn from a 50-
                      > Challenger.
                      >
                      > Can I ask a general question? Do any of you fight? I am supposed to be
                      > fighting my first battle this Pennsic, but when I saw what I would be
                      > missing, I seriously wondered whether it was worth it. Should I fight
                      > at all? Do I really need to?
                      >
                      > I welcome opinions.
                      >
                      > Ursula

                    • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                        I'm not a fighter but I am "support troops".  The field battle is the big favorite. The woods battle is the one most likely to generate nasty injuries.  Pace yourself! But do go, fight and enjoy!

                        CHagan

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                          --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara"
                          <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

                          > I printed out the whole list, then sat down at lunch with a
                          highlighter
                          > and picked everything I thought I would like. Then I got some lined
                          paper
                          > and made columns for each of the dates. It is quite funny how many
                          classes
                          > I have for each day - I have 3 11:00 classes on Wed of war week! I
                          guess
                          > I'll have to prune.
                          > Barbeta

                          I used to do much the same thing in the car on the way there - it
                          sucked time wonderfully! (Working around my husband's fighting
                          schedule so we had a parent with the girls at all times made it
                          significantly more interesting though - I only made it to ONE class
                          all War, because I was too tired from dealing with the girls!)

                          Albreda
                        • Sarah Michele Ford
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                            On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:
                            I printed out the whole list, then sat down at lunch with a highlighter
                            and picked everything I thought I would like. Then I got some lined paper
                            and made columns for each of the dates. It is quite funny how many classes
                            I have for each day - I have 3 11:00 classes on Wed of war week! I guess
                            I'll have to prune.

                            Remind me at War to tell you about the years when I had a color-coded spreadsheet.  ;^)  (Or you could ask many other people in camp - they might mock me for your amusement.)

                            Alianor

                            --
                            *****************************
                            saramichelef@...
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                              >>But yeah, basically I think I could have an AMAZING War just by
                              following you around to the classes you list; you have great taste! ;)

                              Awwww, you're just saying that 'cause you like most of the same stuff I do (great minds and all...)  :)

                              >>Ardenia ARuadh, OP teaches that, and yes, she is a dear friend of mine,
                              and yes, her class ROCKS. I'll send you her email address. :)

                              Got it! Thank you!  Just as well she's busy.  I'll try to get ahold of her before Quad and maybe try the cheese there, but I have two show submission deadlines before then, a demo in a week and a half at the biggest local non-SCA event of the year (and our shire's just forming and we only have 5 people! ACK!), the class to prepare and handout to write and a stack of clothes to sew/fix, since we haven't been camping in years, and my love is head of waterbearing* and need extra grubbies to wear, and ....yikes, only a month to do it all in!!!!!

                              Spaeking of friends, I keep meaning to ask, but do you know a lady by the name of Kambreda?  She was from the East originally and moved to Ealdormere and was always talking about this lady she knew named Albreda...

                              >>Ooh!!! I've wanted to try knotted rugs for a while now - if you have a
                              handout, your friendly Society A&S 50 Coordinator would LOVE LOVE LOVE
                              a copy! (ain't I subtle? ;)

                              Absolutely!  In fact, I suspect with what I know you know how to do, you could probably learn it from the handout alone, so long as you're good at learning from diagrams (with a written explanation)-at least that's my intention for the handout.  That's how I learned, from a book called "Notes on Carpet-Knotting and Weaving" from the V&A (used copies are available, you can find them if you type the exact title into Google, just shop around prices vary widely).

                              *Speaking of Waterbearing, it's a bit off-topic, but if any of you are interested in its future now that the BoD is considering making it unofficial, my lord has started a blog on the subject on why he thinks this is a Bad Idea, what he suggests be done instead, and his efforts to prove the concept. It can be found here:
                              http://www.waterbaron.blogspot.com/
                              He'd love feedback from across the Knowne Worlde.

                            • preimann@usadatanet.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                                Good Afternoon,

                                > What class/A&S event are you most excited about either attending or
                                > having offered?
                                AKC for the SCA. I have a nice little fluffy white dog, we take her to many
                                events.

                                > What classes are YOU teaching, if any, and WHEN ARE THEY? (Shameless
                                > plug time!) I am not teaching, but my husband is: History of Sumo.

                                Ursula--take your fight gear! The best thing I did was march and fence in the
                                first war point battle for rapier. We marched to music and banners (Southern
                                Watch)and all sorts of stuff. It was just exhilirating!

                                magdalena
                              • Barbara
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                                  Oooh ... color coding - I used to do that in college. Hmm red for garb, blue for lace and lucet, green for gardens & herbs, orange for jewelry, yellow for history .... there aren't enough colors in my highlighter box. I know ... more highlighters!

                                  I brought my 3 pages of classes over to fighter practice last night to give Mistress Pagan a chuckle. I got  a laugh out of the group.

                                  Looking forward to seeing you again.
                                  Barbeta

                                  ************ ********* ********
                                  saramichelef@ gmail.com

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 3, 2008
                                      <thepassingstranger@...> wrote:

                                      > Spaeking of friends, I keep meaning to ask, but do you know a lady
                                      by the name of Kambreda? She was from the East originally and moved
                                      to Ealdormere and was always talking about this lady she knew named
                                      Albreda...

                                      Kambreda! Of COURSE I know her! (I love being one of about three
                                      Albreda's in the entire Knowne World.) She and I were 'the Bredas',
                                      and used to run feast service together, but then she moved off to the
                                      wilds, dropped me a line once, and vanished from sight. If you see
                                      her, PLEASE send her my love and hugs!!! (Gotta love a small world,
                                      eh??)

                                      > >>Ooh!!! I've wanted to try knotted rugs for a while now - if you
                                      have a handout, your friendly Society A&S 50 Coordinator would LOVE
                                      LOVE LOVE a copy! (ain't I subtle? ;)

                                      > Absolutely! In fact, I suspect with what I know you know how to
                                      do, you could probably learn it from the handout alone, so long as
                                      you're good at learning from diagrams (with a written explanation)-at
                                      least that's my intention for the handout. That's how I learned,
                                      from a book called "Notes on Carpet-Knotting and Weaving" from the
                                      V&A (used copies are available, you can find them if you type the
                                      exact title into Google, just shop around prices vary widely).

                                      I learned how to tapestry weave out of a book, so hopefully I can
                                      learn this too. >:) Thanks for saying you'll send me a copy of your
                                      handout! Life is ALWAYS busy this time of year for Scadians;
                                      especially since somehow it seems we NEVER have enough garb for
                                      whatever the big event of the season is, no matter how many years
                                      we've been doing this!

                                      Enjoy -
                                      Albreda
                                    • luvbunnynumber13
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 7, 2008
                                        Advanced Viking-Age Tablet Weaving!!! I am ecstatic that this class
                                        is going to be taught!! I had poured over last year's schedule hoping
                                        for an advanced tablet weaving class, to no avail.

                                        I'm also interested in Diet and Nutrition in Early Britain.

                                        Other random classes that caught my attention: Archaeological
                                        Textiles and Tools from the Museums of Europe; 12th-Century Clothing;
                                        How to Look Like You Stepped Out of A Painting; Period Food
                                        Preservation Techniques; Preparing Wool for Spinning; Advanced Sprang-
                                        Diamond Patterns; Basics of Norse Poetry; The Medieval Motet- An
                                        Introduction; Growing the SCA; and Hand-Sewn Seams and the Viborg
                                        Shirt.

                                        I was quite pleased to find plenty that piqued my interest; last year
                                        there was almost nothing on the schedule that awakened my curiosity,
                                        although the Medieval Oil Lamps class I attended was one of the best
                                        classes I have EVER taken. It's on this year's schedule.

                                        BTW, sorry I didn't make it to Glenn Linn this year as planned; in
                                        examining our finances that week, we realized that it wasn't possible
                                        to go without damaging our ability to attend Pennsic. It's just no
                                        contest to choose between the two.

                                        Dalla
                                        I><I
                                      • Marti Livingstone
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 7, 2008
                                          Dear Lady Dalla,

                                          I added this class to my list of "Want to Take"s due to this recommendation. I was undecided about this one, but somewhat interested. Now, I am looking forward to it!

                                          Thank you!
                                          Catriona nicHugh Mclaey

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 7, 2008
                                              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "luvbunnynumber13"
                                              <luvbunny13@...> wrote:

                                              > Advanced Viking-Age Tablet Weaving!!! I am ecstatic that this class
                                              > is going to be taught!! I had poured over last year's schedule hoping
                                              > for an advanced tablet weaving class, to no avail.
                                              >
                                              > I'm also interested in Diet and Nutrition in Early Britain.
                                              >
                                              > Other random classes that caught my attention: Archaeological
                                              > Textiles and Tools from the Museums of Europe; 12th-Century Clothing;
                                              > How to Look Like You Stepped Out of A Painting; Period Food
                                              > Preservation Techniques; Preparing Wool for Spinning; Advanced Sprang-
                                              > Diamond Patterns; Basics of Norse Poetry; The Medieval Motet- An
                                              > Introduction; Growing the SCA; and Hand-Sewn Seams and the Viborg
                                              > Shirt.

                                              May I peruse your collection of handouts when you get back? I promise
                                              to be careful not to drool on them! (Probably best that I'm NOT going
                                              to War, as I'd never have time to go to so many neat classes anyway...)

                                              Albreda
                                            • Brenda G.
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
                                                Sorry for taking so long to answer...and you probably won't get this for a bit seeing as how it looks like it's only been a couple days since you said you were being induced  (Best wishes on that, by the way!  Yay for someone other than me having teh bebehs!  I don't have to do my part to populate the next generation!!!) :)

                                                >>Kambreda! Of COURSE I know her!

                                                Figured it would be the same you!

                                                >>but then she moved off to the wilds,

                                                I don't think downtown Septentria in Central Ealdormere qualifies as the wilds...though there are wolves, and umm...wilds.  Oh nevermind that old ending of the Ealdormerean Royal Lineage!  It's not wilds!  It's very civilised there, they even have electricity and indoor plumbing!! :)
                                                http://www.ealdormere.ca/LineoftheNorth.htm

                                                >>If you see her, PLEASE send her my love and hugs!!!

                                                Sadly, probably not, since I haven't seen her in about 8 years myself.  She kind of stopped playing much and and then I moved to the other side of the continent.  She must still be around though, since someone on the Ealdormere list mentioned her recently.

                                                >>Ooh!!! I've wanted to try knotted rugs for a while now - if you have a handout, your friendly Society A&S 50 Coordinator would LOVE LOVE LOVE a copy!

                                                I now have a handout. :)

                                                However, having taught the class last weekend, I can now see some issues.  I can send you a copy of what I have now, which only has diagrams of the knots, but not of a rug warp set-up, or if you can wait, I was asked to teach it again in Sept (despite my class sucking big rocks-my fault not the students), and was planning on adding warping diagrams and stuff, though after having my class taking up 3 1/2 hrs of a 3 hr class just to learn to warp up sort of ok, I'm thinking I may stick to a quick tapestry warp-up in future, and make the rug warp a separate class or something. I'm pretty sure I could teach them that more effectively than trying to teach them the rug warp, which even I sucked at in the class.

                                                PS. there are new tapestries on my blog (not LJ)!

                                              • AlbredaA@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 12, 2008
                                                  In a message dated 8/10/2008 3:20:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, thepassingstranger@... writes:

                                                  However, having taught the class last weekend, I can now see some issues.  I can send you a copy of what I have now, which only has diagrams of the knots, but not of a rug warp set-up, or if you can wait, I was asked to teach it again in Sept (despite my class sucking big rocks-my fault not the students), and was planning on adding warping diagrams and stuff, though after having my class taking up 3 1/2 hrs of a 3 hr class just to learn to warp up sort of ok, I'm thinking I may stick to a quick tapestry warp-up in future, and make the rug warp a separate class or something. I'm pretty sure I could teach them that more effectively than trying to teach them the rug warp, which even I sucked at in the class.
                                                  The decision to teach warping or not is one that I think ALL teachers of weaving have to contend with, so don't feel bad.  I do NOT teach it myself, especially since all looms are different, but a distinct class on warping is not something I have heard of before, but it makes COMPLETE sense for something as specific as rug warping.

                                                  I'll wait for the revised handout, and will look forward to seeing your warping one as well.  >;)

                                                • Georgia Foster
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                                                    For the teaching of wharping (that was how I learned to spell it ... I do understand that others spell it differently), I've found that an open group or 'workshop' works best.  This accomodates the groupthink and allows for individual attention and ... assitance ... as needed.

                                                    tupence only

                                                    Malkin

                                                    Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

                                                    Never knock on Death's door.

                                                    Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

                                                    I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.

                                                  • Brenda G.
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                      >>but a distinct class on warping is not something I have heard of before, but it makes COMPLETE sense for something as specific as rug warping.

                                                      Actually, I had more in mind a two-part class; day one warping, day two weaving stuff.  Since not a one of my students had any experience weaving, the 3 hrs warping up was definitely enough for their brains to handle in one class.

                                                      I think a class on warping styles might be confusing, unless it was an intermediate or advanced class.  And for a first timer, having the chance to actually make something to show for their time would have been nice.  My biggest fear is that I may have turned my students off weaving by having such a confusing and mostly unsuccessful class.

                                                      By the way, I use a basic two-beam (no turning parts) loom.  Like the Oseberg tapestry/sprang loom. This way I can use it to teach either tapestry or rug weaving, and they can also use it for sprang, or Viking Age weaving (so long as they're weaving narrow bits, anyway).

                                                      This is the 'tapestry' warp I think I'll teach new weavers in the future.
                                                      http://twistedspinster.net/2005-03/LoomWarped1.JPG
                                                      Though the loom is wood of course, and the moveable beam is on the top.

                                                      The one I tried to teach was this:
                                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2765060486/
                                                      Just too complicated and the warp would NOT stay in place, and they spent a great deal of time trying to un-overlap it and tension it evenly.  Well, live and learn.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                        <thepassingstranger@...> wrote:

                                                        > This is the 'tapestry' warp I think I'll teach new weavers in the
                                                        future.
                                                        > http://twistedspinster.net/2005-03/LoomWarped1.JPG
                                                        > Though the loom is wood of course, and the moveable beam is on the
                                                        top.

                                                        > The one I tried to teach was this:
                                                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/85834740@N00/2765060486/
                                                        > Just too complicated and the warp would NOT stay in place, and they
                                                        spent a great deal of time trying to un-overlap it and tension it
                                                        evenly. Well, live and learn.

                                                        I really prefer the wrap-around warp (example 2) better myself,
                                                        especially since you can make your warp twice as long as your loom
                                                        that way, but, yeah, it is confusing to warp if you aren't an
                                                        octopus, or don't have help.

                                                        The first example DESPERATELY needs sticks to space the warp after
                                                        setting it up, and then some filler as well, but works great for the
                                                        novice weaver with only two hands.

                                                        I'm sure your class was not a bust, so don't fret - string is
                                                        addictive, and your students can't say they didn't get a hands-on
                                                        experience! I always tell folks that warping is half the project,
                                                        and most of the headache!

                                                        Albreda
                                                      • wish4dreamhome@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                          I love your thoughts about making it a two part deal..... I also LOVE that you also think that beginner students can be more encouraged when they come out of the deal with an actual "piece". I really work hard to create "managable" projects for my embroidery classes. I tend to get lots of complaints from advanced embroderers, but I get even more visitors at my camp showing me their finished projects with bundles of excitement about what they have learned. In most cases, if I find that I have an advanced stitcher in one of my beginner classes, I can usually get them to pair up with a novice to help out... it sometimes creates a new friendship and even produces some new teachers!

                                                        • AlbredaA@aol.com
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                            In a message dated 8/15/2008 11:22:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wish4dreamhome@... writes:
                                                            I tend to get lots of complaints from advanced embroderers
                                                            Phooey on them.  Tell them it is a sampler project, and let them get on with it.  By teaching from the bottom up, yes, you might bore some advanced students a bit, but it keeps you from having to go back and reteach skills that you assumed folks knew already, which can disrupt the flow of a class even more, although it DOES let the advanced students at the material faster.  Toss up, I guess, but if they are so advanced, they can go teach their own classes their own way, eh?  ;)

                                                            Albreda, who thinks you did a FINE job teaching a wide range of students, including stick-jock youth, at Panteria

                                                          • Brenda G.
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                              >>I really prefer the wrap-around warp (example 2) better myself, especially since you can make your warp twice as long as your loom that way, but, yeah, it is confusing to warp if you aren't an octopus, or don't have help.

                                                              One of the ways I know warping was done was to measure the warp by driving two sticks into the ground at the needed distance.  Since I didn't know what the ground was like at the event and I didn't want my students to stain their brand new equipment I had my husband drill holes in the side of the frame, on one side. We used a solid plank base for weight, since such a small frame in pine has little weight of its own, and the holes were one to each corner of the side of the plank, and one on the frame, at a height we estimated would make the maximum warp.

                                                              The loom was placed on it's side and the two warp sticks were put in the holes on the base, and the heddle stick was used as the midpoint.  The warp was wrapped from one warp stick up and around the heddle stick and down to the other warp.  Once they had the needed number of warp I got them to pair up and had one person carefully pull the warpsticks out of their holes and hold them apart nice and taut, while their partner took the heddle stick out of its hole and flipped the loom up right so the other person could wrap the warp over the top beam.  The warp sticks hang on either side of the loom and you don't move them so they're both on the back until the restraining cords have linked the warp sticks together.

                                                              The first problem there was that the holes weren't deep enough and the sticks tilted, so if you spread out the warp to keep them in order, the ones wrapped later were shorter than the first ones, hence the later tensioning problems.

                                                              >>The first example DESPERATELY needs sticks to space the warp after setting it up, and then some filler as well, but works great for the novice weaver with only two hands.

                                                              Mmm...depends.  I use a warp like that on my tapestries (I actually use a circular warp instead of figure-8, but still...) and I don't use sticks at all.  I use a really tight warp and just spread them out on the top and bottom beams.  The tension holds them in place, mostly, and most of my looms are marked in half-inches. Then I plain-weave in a string (usually excess warp thread-often the warp leftover from the previous tapestry!) in the opposite shed from the natural shed the top beam creates.  With a figure-8 warp I'd just move the cross down.  Then I weave in another pass (pick?  I can never remember) in the natural shed, and another in the opposite shed and tie it off.  After that, I just start weaving a narrow hem to fold over when I'm finishing the completed tapestry.

                                                              >>I'm sure your class was not a bust, so don't fret - string is addictive, and your students can't say they didn't get a hands-on experience! I always tell folks that warping is half the project, and most of the headache!

                                                              Well, they did say all the problems meant they now understood HOW the warp works.  I'd have preferred to teach them that in a less frustrating way, but...

                                                              And I did tell them that it was THE most frustrating, boring part of weaving, and even I still mess it up lots of times.

                                                              But the other warp is definitely easier on new weavers. I used the longer one, because I was afraid the'd run out of room for all the knots, especially with the heddle rod and heddle rests just a little over halfway up the frame, but now that I've tried the class, I'm pretty sure a single row or two would be enough practice for each knot, and a simpler warp would give them enough room.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                                >>I love your thoughts about making it a two part deal.....

                                                                The first class I ever took in the SCA was Sigrid Briansdottir's nalbinding class at Pennsic.  She had us come in the first day and taught us the stitch, and her beginning method, and how to increase, by having us fit it to our foot, then sent us off to finish the sock up to the front of our ankle.  The next day she taught us to turn the ankle and fill in the heel.  Sadly, that too ended up as a cat toy (like this year's nalbinding re-learn), as I had increased too much and didn't know anyone with a size 15 male foot!

                                                                >>I also LOVE that you also think that beginner students can be more encouraged when they come out of the deal with an actual "piece".

                                                                I still have and wear the pair of socks I made when I restarted after that class.  I can't even remember what other classes I took that year.  And the only reason I don't wear the two belt favours I made in my two card-weaving classes is that in an effort to be more authentic, I've been eliminating things that are clearly not period for me from my garb. But the same day I took the second card weaving class I took callig and period games.  I have no recollection of what games he taught, or how to play them, and I've never done callig since.  I can't help but think I probably would have been more likely to take it up if, instead of just having us do lines like kindergarden kids learning to write, she had ended the class by having us copy out a short poem or something we brought with us, and could hang up when we got home.

                                                                It's like what you said about  the students bringing by finished projects, I guess it's the coolness of having something to show off after.  Like showing someone a complete or mostly complete sock, or an embroidered badge, rather than a lump of nalbound yarn or a piece of cloth with random stitches. Though several people got a hoot when they asked me what I was making as I worked on the nalbinding after class and I told them 'a cat toy'.  The Princess of the area now knows me as the Cat Toy Lady. :)