Re: Fabric question

  • Albreda Aylese
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
      --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Bakken"
      <clysne@...> wrote:

      > I have come across alot of floral prints fabric in my stores. But
      > don't know if I can make period clothing out of them. Any thoughts?
      >
      > M'lady Bridget

      Hi Bridget -

      I have seen folks use a very subtle print for a textured weave look
      on summer camping tunics, and I've seen some very clever use of
      strips of floral cloth used as trim (mimicking embroidery), but
      that's about it, at least for early period stuff.

      I haven't had much luck buying garb fabric at regular retail fabric
      stores, but with online ordering, you can get linen for $5-7 a yard,
      and some of the cotton prints cost that much anyway! Fabric-
      store.com is one that I know folks use a lot. I tend to buy most of
      my garb fabric at events, but I used to get a lot of great wools at
      Building 19 in Boston, where they had factory and inventory seconds
      (fire sales, etc); maybe you have somewhere like that near you?

      Good luck!
    • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2008
        Greetings Bridget,

           I meant to answer this much earlier but....  So, forgive me but here goes.
        There seem to be several thngs that determine which floral prints you can use.

        1) The time period and geographic area of the garb
        2) The actual floral type - many flowers don't fit a number of periods or geographical locations. (No Tudor roses in Mongolia)
        3) The known existence of printed cloth in that area at that time
        4) Would prints or floral patterns have actually been in use in that particular time and place.

        I love research and this ought to encourage some.  Sorry to be such a pain.

        CHagan

        I have come across alot of floral prints fabric in my stores. But I
        don't know if I can make period clothing out of them. Any thoughts?

        M'lady Bridget

      • Christine Bakken/Bridget

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2008
            Hmmm - well, let's see - I would say start by researching the textiles used in the time period and geographical area that you want to play in or dress in.

            But let me start by asking a couple questions and maybe I can actually give you some decent direction to start in...

            What area are you interested in?

            What time frame are you interested in?

            What sort of floral prints do you have?

            Colors are important - what colors are your fabrics?

            Does the time period matter if you can match the prints to an area/nationality that interests you?

            Just for fun you might try Googling (or what ever search engine you use)  such things as the history of your flower print patterns or even the basic cloth type.  For instance - resist-dye printing, generic term is Shibori but there are variations, started in Japan well before most of the popular SCA time periods.  The earliest examples have been dated to the 4th Century and were found in Chinese tombs near the Silk Road. Not too much later, it appeared in India as what we now call Batik.  Tie-dye is period as well and is an off shoot of the Shibori and Batik processes.  However, the type of printed floral designs of our modern fabric probably doesn't much resemble the Indian or Japanese prints. But, it's a start.
                 If your prints are good enough to fake a woven look then you have more leeway and mostly need to make sure the floral prints mimc period floral patterns.  If theyre cabbage roses - make curtains out of them.
                 I recall reading an excerpt from a diary of a traveller who toured part of Russia.  He wrote "the peasants clothing is much decorated and the embroidery is all geometric and vegetative..."  That would allow you - if your prints are in stripe patterns to slice them and use them as trim.  you could even do a little embroidery over the floral prints to enhance the image of embroidered trim.

            OKay, I'll stop now.  Your turn!

            Chagan