Greetings

  • Christine Bakken
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hello All,

      My name is Bridget and I am from the Shire of Rudivale in the Kingdom
      or Northshield otherwise known lately as the coldest place on earth.
      (grand forks, ND) I plan on trying to learn 50 new things and make 50
      things.

      I have a passion for making Garb and cooking. I am trying to learn to
      weave on a loom I bought at Pennsic 36. I am trying to learn dances
      with my lord.

      Live the Dream,

      M'lady Bridget
    • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 24, 2008
        Welcome Bridgt!

           There is SO much out there to find, learn, experience!  ENJOY!!!!

        Chagan,

        Bright Hills,
        Kingdom of Atlantia

        Not much snow here!  Too close to the Politicians in Washington, DC.
        My name is Bridget and I am from the Shire of Rudivale in the Kingdom
        or Northshield otherwise known lately as the coldest place on earth.
        (grand forks, ND) I plan on trying to learn 50 new things and make 50
        things.

        I have a passion for making Garb and cooking. I am trying to learn to
        weave on a loom I bought at Pennsic 36. I am trying to learn dances
        with my lord.

        Live the Dream,

        M'lady Bridget

      • Christine Bakken/Bridget

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 24, 2008
            Hi Christine!

            I'm looking forward to seeing your dress once it's finished. I do mostly 16th century clothes myself so I think it's great to see more people in those styles. :)

            I have already started with my newest creation of a dress.  Something I saw in a book of garb from the 16th century.

            Best regards,
            Malin

          • Albreda Aylese
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 25, 2008
              --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Bakken"
              <clysne@...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >
              > My name is Bridget and I am from the Shire of Rudivale in the Kingdom
              > or Northshield otherwise known lately as the coldest place on earth.
              > (grand forks, ND) I plan on trying to learn 50 new things and make 50
              > things.
              >
              > I have a passion for making Garb and cooking. I am trying to learn
              > weave on a loom I bought at Pennsic 36. I am trying to learn dances
              > with my lord.
              >
              > Live the Dream,
              >
              > M'lady Bridget

              Welcome Bridget (and the rest of our current influx from Northshield!)

              I live in the Mountain Freehold (northern Vermont) and I can tell you
              that the very THOUGHT of Grand Forks, even in JULY, makes me shiver. I
              hope you work in wool!

              I can also pretty much guarantee that you will learn 50 things in the
              course of making 50 new things! Do you mean that you want to learn 50
              things that your persona would have known, or are you studying
              something specific?

              Cooking I can't help you with AT ALL, but if you would like to tell me
              what kind of loom you bought at Pensic, I can almost undoubtedly hook
              you up with some resources, and answer any questions you might have.
              (And, if for some reason *I* can't, I KNOW that others on this list
              probably can!)

              Welcome to the Challenge, and thanks for introducing yourself!
              Albreda
            • Albreda Aylese
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 25, 2008
                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Malin Berglund"
                <bippimalin@...> wrote:

                > Hi Christine!
                >
                > I'm looking forward to seeing your dress once it's finished. I do
                mostly
                > 16th century clothes myself so I think it's great to see more people
                in
                > those styles. :)

                :) Take the "1" off the front of that date, and I can help you.
                Otherwise you need to subtract a MUCH bigger number.

                Albreda, for whom 'very late period' means 14th Century
              • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 25, 2008
                  Hey there Bridget - making your own patterns is Spot on!  It challenges our skill and we learn from it.  I've made patterns for every piece of Mongol garb I've made.  There just aren't that many good patterns available so, what we need, we create!  There are some very good tailoring books avaiulable that cover 16th century garb.  Always good to have resources.

                  Chagan

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 27, 2008

                    Hi all,

                    So I just went on a cruise with my mom and it was great!  Not only did I get to enjoy warm weather, but I got to sleep by myself without being woken up, I was able to eat my meals hot, without have to get up every few minutes, nor did I have to share.  While I did miss my kids, the break was great.

                    Right before I left, I finished up the two scrolls I had to get done, including my very first Peerage scroll.

                    The Chiv scroll was adapted from Gaston Phoebus and the Troubadour was based on a 14th cent Antiphoner and the verse was composed in the style used at the time.

                    I am very happy with both of them (Hopefully so are the recipient's).  They just went out this weekend at Birka.

                    Here is the link for anyone interested.

                    Well, back to the grind, classes start tomorrow and the house is a wreck after leaving my husband alone with the kids for a week.  Not to mention the kidlets are suctioned to me at every opportunity.

                    Hope to see some of you in the spring.

                    Ysemay Sterlyng

                  • Albreda Aylese
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 28, 2008
                      Those scrolls look GREAT Ysemay! Congrats on your first Peerage Scroll!

                      The fact that all the things you mention loving about your cruise
                      involved not being a full time mom during it made me laugh... I SO hear
                      you!

                      How many more semesters of school do you have? HOW you have been
                      juggling full time school, full time mom, and so many things in the SCA
                      this whole time, I really don't know!

                      Welcome home!
                      Albreda
                    • Brett Chandler-Finch
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
                        Good Gentles,

                        I recently heard about the AS 50 challenge at Candlemas in Bryn Gwlad.
                        My own personal challenge is to make 50 different items (Breadth).
                        I will include my two items that I completed for the Candlemas
                        competition as well as a recent project to get my start.

                        1. Original Bardic Song
                        2. Herbal Salve
                        3. Apple-Peach Cordial

                        I have several project ideas I am working on.

                        Goldweard of st. Golias
                      • Georgia Foster
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                          I am part of the Artemisia contingint of the 50/50 challenge.  My three (so far) are baking, fiber arts, and wood craft.

                          I look forward to sharing with and learning from all here.

                          Cheers

                          Malkin

                          Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
                          Never knock on Death's door.
                          Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.
                        • Albreda Aylese
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 7, 2008
                            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, Georgia Foster
                            <jo_foster81@...> wrote:

                            > I am part of the Artemisia contingint of the 50/50 challenge. My
                            three (so far) are baking, fiber arts, and wood craft.

                            > I look forward to sharing with and learning from all here.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            >
                            > Malkin

                            Welcome, Malkin!

                            What is your fiber art, if I can ask as one fiber geek to another?

                            Albreda
                          • gail young
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 24, 2008
                              My name is Gwyneth Blackrose and I am an Ansteorran cooking laurel.  I just wanted to keep up with the challenge.  Where is the SCA anniversary celebration going to take place?
                              gwyneth

                            • Albreda Aylese
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 24, 2008
                                --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, gail young
                                <gwynethb63@...> wrote:

                                > My name is Gwyneth Blackrose and I am an Ansteorran cooking laurel.
                                I just wanted to keep up with the challenge. Where is the SCA
                                anniversary celebration going to take place?
                                > gwyneth

                                Things are looking pretty good for A&S 50 exhibitions/celebrations to
                                be happening in pretty much every Kingdom in the Knowne World. If you
                                want to help make sure something happens in Ansteorra, you can talk to
                                the Ansteorran Kingdom Coordinator, Goldweard, about being part of the
                                Ansteorran team!

                                Enjoy, and welcome!
                                Albreda
                              • Johnna Holloway
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 8, 2009
                                  I just joined today to make it official that I undertook the challenge
                                  on my own and have completed it.

                                  I was in touch about the project in the summer of 2007 and at that
                                  time wrote that "What I would like to do 50 of in the next year or so
                                  is 50 articles submitted to Society publications or published in
                                  those publications or to online collections like The Middle Kingdom
                                  Cook’s Collegium Or to Stefan's Florilegium."

                                  Why did I construct my challenge in such a fashion? Due to being
                                  handicapped, I am no longer able to travel on my own or stand and
                                  teach and my event going is perhaps at most one or two events a year.
                                  I still research and write or try to write an article or sometimes two
                                  to three articles per month. It's a way to contribute. I also prefer
                                  to submit articles rather than just maintain a blog or do a website of
                                  my own.

                                  Anyway,

                                  Since 1 May 2007, I have had over 50 articles and reviews published in
                                  just Tournaments Illuminated
                                  and the Pale. In addition to those publications, another 36 articles
                                  have appeared in a variety of places
                                  ranging from Caid to Lochac to Atlantia. There's another 30 or so
                                  major contributions to the Florilegium in the past two years.

                                  And since I like writing and research I won't be quitting any time soon.

                                  yours in service

                                  Johnnae llyn Lewis

                                  Midrealm
                                • Ann Franchi
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                    Congratulations!

                                    Anitra

                                    On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae@...> wrote:
                                    > I just joined today to make it official that I undertook the challenge
                                    > on my own and have completed it.
                                    >
                                    > I was in touch about the project in the summer of 2007 and at that
                                    > time wrote that "What I would like to do 50 of in the next year or so
                                    > is 50 articles    submitted to Society publications or published in
                                    > those publications or  to online collections like The Middle Kingdom
                                    > Cook’s Collegium Or to Stefan's Florilegium."
                                    >
                                    > Why did I construct my challenge in such a fashion? Due to being
                                    > handicapped, I am no longer  able to  travel on my own or stand and
                                    > teach and my event going is perhaps at most one or two  events a year.
                                    > I still research and write or try to write an article or sometimes two
                                    > to three articles per month. It's a way to contribute. I also prefer
                                    > to submit articles rather than just maintain a blog or do a website of
                                    > my own.
                                    >
                                    > Anyway,
                                    >
                                    > Since 1 May 2007, I have had over 50 articles and reviews published in
                                    > just Tournaments Illuminated
                                    > and the Pale. In addition to those publications, another 36 articles
                                    > have appeared in a variety of places
                                    > ranging from Caid to Lochac to Atlantia. There's another 30 or so
                                    > major contributions to the Florilegium in the past two years.
                                    >
                                    > And since I like writing and research I won't be quitting any time soon.
                                    >
                                    > yours in service
                                    >
                                    > Johnnae llyn Lewis
                                    >
                                    > Midrealm

                                    "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
                                    thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
                                    Anonymous
                                  • Karen Allen
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                      Congratulations! Do you have a bibliography so we can see some of your work?

                                      Angelina

                                      On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae@...> wrote:

                                      > I just joined today to make it official that I undertook the challenge
                                      > on my own and have completed it.
                                      >
                                      > I was in touch about the project in the summer of 2007 and at that
                                      > time wrote that "What I would like to do 50 of in the next year or so
                                      > is 50 articles submitted to Society publications or published in
                                      > those publications or to online collections like The Middle Kingdom
                                      > Cook�s Collegium Or to Stefan's Florilegium."
                                      >
                                      > Why did I construct my challenge in such a fashion? Due to being
                                      > handicapped, I am no longer able to travel on my own or stand and
                                      > teach and my event going is perhaps at most one or two events a year.
                                      > I still research and write or try to write an article or sometimes two
                                      > to three articles per month. It's a way to contribute. I also prefer
                                      > to submit articles rather than just maintain a blog or do a website of
                                      > my own.
                                      >
                                      > Anyway,
                                      >
                                      > Since 1 May 2007, I have had over 50 articles and reviews published in
                                      > just Tournaments Illuminated
                                      > and the Pale. In addition to those publications, another 36 articles
                                      > have appeared in a variety of places
                                      > ranging from Caid to Lochac to Atlantia. There's another 30 or so
                                      > major contributions to the Florilegium in the past two years.
                                      >
                                      > And since I like writing and research I won't be quitting any time soon.
                                      >
                                      > yours in service
                                      >
                                      > Johnnae llyn Lewis
                                      >
                                      > Midrealm

                                    • Christine Taylor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                        Wow, that's fantastic! Well done. And I echo Angelina's question, I'd love
                                        to see some of it.

                                        Caitlin

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                          I just posted the list in a file titled
                                          Johnnae AS Challenge.doc
                                          A Bibliography of Publications by Johnnae llyn Lewis

                                          I hope it provides in part what you were seeking. I am a librarian and
                                          bibliographer, so
                                          I am always researching and writing and updating previous work so as
                                          to make it up to date.

                                          Those of you who get the Pale see my work almost every month.

                                          And those that read Tournaments Illuminated will probably have noticed
                                          a few things
                                          in TI over the years.

                                          Otherwise my articles can be found all over the Known World. I suspect
                                          in fact since editors
                                          often reprint Florilegium articles without letting us know that they
                                          have included these articles in local newsletters that I am in several
                                          other places.

                                          scribble scribble as they say

                                          Johnnae

                                          On Sep 9, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Christine Taylor wrote:

                                          > Wow, that's fantastic! Well done. And I echo Angelina's question,
                                          > I'd love
                                          > to see some of it.
                                          >
                                          > Caitlin
                                          >
                                          > -----
                                          >
                                          > Congratulations! Do you have a bibliography so we can see some of
                                          > your work?
                                          >
                                          > Angelina
                                          >
                                          > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I just joined today to make it official that I undertook the
                                          > challenge
                                          > > on my own and have completed it.
                                          > >

                                          > > Johnnae llyn Lewis
                                          > >

                                          > RECENT ACTIVITY
                                          > 5
                                          > New Members
                                          > 5
                                          > New Photos
                                          > Visit Your Group
                                          > Give Back
                                          > Yahoo! for Good
                                          > Get inspired
                                          > by a good cause.
                                          > Y! Toolbar
                                          > Get it Free!
                                          > easy 1-click access
                                          > to your groups.
                                          > Yahoo! Groups
                                          > Start a group
                                          > in 3 easy steps.
                                          > Connect with others.
                                          > .

                                        • amakcristyne
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 14, 2013
                                            First off I want to thank you for the invite. The Abbey of St. Aegir plans to help with the A&S 50 by brewing up 50 Meads, 50 Beers, and 50 hard Ciders. Maybe 50 Cordials, but depends on a house sale for that one. This will begin for us shortly after we return from Pennsic this year.
                                          • Susan
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 14, 2013
                                              Very cool! Welcome, and keep in touch as to how it goes!

                                              Albreda

                                              On Jul 14, 2013, at 4:57 PM, "amakcristyne" <cmakcristyne@...> wrote:

                                              > First off I want to thank you for the invite. The Abbey of St. Aegir plans to help with the A&S 50 by brewing up 50 Meads, 50 Beers, and 50 hard Ciders. Maybe 50 Cordials, but depends on a house sale for that one. This will begin for us shortly after we return from Pennsic this year.

                                            • sibyllaofglyndmere
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 19, 2014
                                                Greetings,
                                                I am Sibylla, Baroness of Ramshaven. The challenge of making 50 persona related items seemed intriguing to me as I have been working my way through a 7th Century Anglo Saxon period woman. Thankfully most of the projects I have done I have taken pictures of so recording activity since 2007 should be fun. I am looking forward to this challange not only because it will certainly push me to try new and interesting projects but because 2007 marks the year my Lord and I began playing in the SCA and in 2015 we will be in our 50th year.

                                                Cheers!
                                                Sibylla
                                              • Dee Cadoret