Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Tapestry symbolism and dream project

  • Carolyn Priest-Dorman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      Eleanor wrote:

      I followed the links regarding the Oseberg ship (way cool!), but I can't find a clear picture of what the tapestry looked like. I've tried Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, and the museum that houses the Oseberg ship.

      Does anyone have any pictures of the tapestry?

      The tapestry is in hundreds of fragments, some of which are permanently stuck to one another in layers.  There is no photo of the whole thing.  Some of the large-format Viking picture books have a photo of a piece of it, though.

      The best single source I've seen for the imagery of the tapestry, apart from the recently published Osebergfundet 4 (which doesn't have them all) is Sofie Krafft's book, Pictorial Weavings from the Viking age: Drawings and patterns of texiles from the Oseberg finds (Dreyers, 1956).  She is the artist who was hired by Gabriel Gustafson eighty years ago to draw all the finds.

      People are still arguing about the subject of the tapestry, the story or stories it tells, and the like.  That field is wide, wide open.

      If you want technical information on the tapestry (how it was woven), you'll have to see Osebergfundet 4.  No other source has the correct, complete information.

      Carolyn Priest-Dorman //  Þóra Sharptooth
       http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html