linen sewing thread

  • luvbunnynumber13
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
      "For example - anyone have a recommendation as to where I can order
      linen sewing thread, suitable for handsewing 5 oz linen shifts?"

      I've used White Wolf & Pheonix as my supplier for linen thread for hand
      sewing and tablet weaving. I've been pleased with the quality. However,
      some of the thread is on the heavy side for a hand sewing weight
      (although it's just right for tablet weaving for me). I'd be interested
      in hearing about some other sources. I'm also looking for a good source
      for silk thread for tablet weaving in the future.

      -Dalla
    • AlbredaA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
        In a message dated 1/21/2008 6:04:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, luvbunny13@... writes:
        I've used White Wolf & Pheonix as my supplier for linen thread for hand
        sewing and tablet weaving. I've been pleased with the quality. However,
        some of the thread is on the heavy side for a hand sewing weight
        (although it's just right for tablet weaving for me).
        HI Dalla -

        Yeah, their stuff is great for embroidery or tablet weaving, but significantly heavier than I am looking for handsewing with.  A GREAT resource for our tablet weavers though - good of you to mention it!

      • Malin Berglund
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
          Hi

          I have no idea where you could find the thread, but you could try searching for linen bobbin lace thread. That's what I use when I hand sew. Most often I use 90/2 thickness since I'm sewing on thin linen but when I'm sewing in fulled wool or similar I use 60/2. Since I think in metric I can't quite translate 5 oz linen, but it sounds like it's fairly thin. So try some 90/2. I wouldn't reccomend a thinner thread then that.

          You could also try buying sewing silk. I most often use the Guterman brand. It's wonderful to sew with. Maybe a search on guterman silk will turn up some good results.

          "I'm also looking for a good source for silk thread for tablet weaving in the future."
          Here in Sweden I know two great sources, but I'm not sure how helpful that is. :)
          But if you can't find any one closer you could have a look. I'm willing to help you out with the order.
          One have no website but an excelent selection of many different types of silk yarn.

          The other have a website in swedish : http://www.solsilke.se/Farger.htm
          Handfärgat means that it's dyed by her. I've yet to talk with her, but I suspect that it's chemically dyed.
          Melerad of flammig means that the colours are varieated and not even.

          Both sell schappe silk which is a spun variety made from the leftovers after silk has been reeled. It has a lovely sheen but I think it is so much easier to handle then reeled silk. In my experience reeled silk tend to snag on every single hangnail you didn't know you had.

          Right now 1 $ is the same as 6,5 kr, the shipping will likely cost a bit since that's expensive here. Both sellers live relatively close to me so I can pick things up. Which is good since shipping within Sweden is expensive too.  :)

          Maybe I should mention that I do dye silk, but the treads I have are all thin. 10 cards will make a tabletwoven band that is 5 mm wide (= about 1/5th of an inch). So I guess buying from me isn't really an option either. However if you buy yarn to dye yourself you can always email me questions. :)

          Best regards,
          Malin
        • Albreda Aylese
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
            --- In AandS50ChallengeCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "luvbunnynumber13"
            <luvbunny13@...> wrote:

            I'm also looking for a good source
            > for silk thread for tablet weaving in the future.
            >
            > -Dalla

            I just found this site, managed by Phiala of Stringpages fame:
            http://stringpage.com/supplies/ where she sells wool, cotton, linen and
            silk all in 100 yard bundles, especially for sprang and tablet
            weaving.

            Hope that helps, and I can't wait to see the results!