Please take 5 minutes RIGHT NOW to help polar bears!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2007
      Online version of this alert:
      https://community.hsus.org/humane/notice-description.tcl?
      newsletter_id=10653534

      URGENT: Congress to Vote on Trophy Hunting of Polar Bears!

      Dear Friend,

      Polar bears face the threat of global warming and melting ice in the
      Arctic, but shockingly, American trophy hunters still travel to
      Canada to shoot these animals in a head-hunting exercise. This
      Tuesday, the full U.S. House of Representatives may vote on an
      amendment by Reps. Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ) to
      prohibit the import of sport-hunted polar bear trophies into the
      United States. A similar amendment was approved last week by a
      Senate committee, and now it is critical that we focus on the
      House. Tell your Representative to protect polar bears.
      https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_polar_bear_HAmendment/nz
      rejxkb8?

      Historically, American residents have not been allowed to import
      polar bear trophies under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. In 1994,
      however, Congress bowed to trophy hunting interests and created a
      loophole that allows the importation of polar bear trophies from
      Canada. Since then, more than 800 import permits have been issued.

      The Inslee-LoBiondo Amendment to the Interior Appropriations bill
      would stop funding for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to issue
      permits for the importation of sport-hunted polar bear trophies.
      This would discourage U.S. trophy hunters from killing polar bears
      because they couldn't bring the heads and hides back across the
      border.

      TAKE ACTION
      Please make a brief, polite phone call to your U.S. Representative
      today and urge a vote of YES on the Inslee-LoBiondo Amendment to the
      Interior Appropriations bill to protect polar bears. Click here to
      look up your U.S. Representative and the phone number:
      https://community.hsus.org/humane/leg-lookup/search.html

      Making a phone call is easy. A staff member will take your message
      and pass it to your legislator. You can say:

      "My name is [your name] and I'm calling from [your city and state]
      to urge [your Representative's name] to vote YES on the Inslee-
      LoBiondo Amendment to the Interior Appropriations bill to protect
      polar bears. At a time when polar bears are threatened by global
      warming and vanishing habitat, we should not allow American trophy
      hunters to kill these creatures in Canada just to bring home their
      heads and hides as trophies. Thank you."

      After you make your call, send a follow-up email to your U.S.
      Representative to reiterate your concern for polar bears.
      https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_polar_bear_HAmendment/nz
      rejxkb8?

      Finally, please urge your friends and family to help the bears, too.
      https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_polar_bear_HAmendment/fo
      rward/nzrejxkb8?

      Thank you for taking action to protect polar bears, and for all you
      do on behalf of animals.

      Sincerely,
      Mike Markarian
      Executive Vice President
      The Humane Society of the United States

      P.S. For more information about the plight of polar bears, please
      watch our brief, two-minute video.
      http://video.hsus.org/?fr_story=f63eca4192e629dabd23eb2bc88703b581b3e7cf&rf=bm

      Copyright © 2007 The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). All
      Rights Reserved.
      The Humane Society of the United States | 2100 L Street, NW |
      Washington, DC 20037
      humanesociety@... | 202-452-1100 | www.hsus.org