Take Action For Animals in AZ This Week!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2010
      There are several events planned for animals this week and weekend. Details are below and we hope you can attend one or all of them!

      Local Restaurant Serving Lion Meat-

      Excerpts from an article posted today on AZCentral.com-
      "A Mesa restaurant owner is providing customers a South African experience to honor the World Cup on Wednesday and Thursday, serving burgers made with African lion meat. But the novelty meal is creating a backlash. Il Vinaio restaurant in downtown Mesa has received more than 150 emails from protestors as well as a bomb threat, owner Cameron Selogie said Tuesday."

      Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2010/06/22/20100622lion-meat-mesa-restaurant.html#ixzz0re4F1tVm

      What/When-
      There is a protest scheduled for Wednesday, 6/23 at 7pm. Please bring your own signs boycotting this restaurant serving African Lion Meat burgers.

      Where-
      Main St and Country Club - East of Taco Bell

      Contact-
      Susan Cooper at crueltyfreestuff@...

      Message from Animal Advocates of Arizona-
      Dear fellow animal advocates,

      Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus is in town June 23rd - June 27th (10 performances in 5 days). Last summer, with the supportive help from the local animal advocacy community and the generosity of national and international animal organizations, we distributed 1000's and 1,000's of leaflets to circus goers, with our encouragement to drop their patronage of animal circuses because of the inherent cruelty to animals.

      Check out the Meetup Event Calendar and join us again at US Airways Center as we continue to educate the public about the exploitation endured by these animals. Your commitment will be minimal and your impact will be GREAT as leafleting is only for 1 hour before each performance. A short amount of time to make a huge difference! There are morning, afternoon and evening performances we need help at. Join us at whichever time slot (or slots) fit your schedule.

      All seasoned leafleters are welcome and if you have not leafleted before, do consider joining us because these animals need us to speak out for them!

      View the Meetup Event Calendar and RSVP to any dates that you are able to attend. Your assistance and commitment to the animals is greatly appreciated! Note: the group's leafleting events are peaceful and lawful.

      Meetup Events Calendar is located at-
      http://www.meetup.com/animal-advocates-of-az/calendar/

      Location:
      US Airways Center

      201 East Jefferson Street
      Phoenix, AZ 85004

      We will have on hand: Leaflets in English and in Spanish. For youth, we will have educational Ele Life Comics, Circus Activity books and lots of Ele-Friend stickers. These supplies and ice cold water will be at the NW side of the US Airways Center building. Recruit your friends and come on out!

      It is recommended that you allow extra time for parking and to make the short walk to the arena (depending on where you park).

      Sam Haddock, former Ringling trainer, speaking of a tool used to intimidate the elephants into submission, "The bullhook is designed for one purpose, and one purpose only: to inflict pain and punishment, I should know. I used to make them. I built them to where you can't break them, no matter how hard you hit the elephant."

      More info at http://www.meetup.com/animal-advocates-of-az/calendar/

      Foie Gras Demo at Le Chalet in Glendale-

      When
      Saturday, June 26th, 2010
      5:30 pm - 6:30pm

      Where
      Le Chalet
      5626 W. Bell Rd, Glendale, AZ 85308

      We're meeting on the north side of Bell Road, between 55th Ave and 57th Drive.

      All signs and literature will be provided, unless you'd like to bring your own.

      This is a peaceful and lawful demonstration to raise awareness of the cruel and inhumane treatment of ducks and geese in the foie gras industry.

      If you can't make it, please write polite letters urging Le Chalet to make the compassionate decision to eliminate foie gras from their restaurant.

      Le Chalet
      5626 W. Bell Rd, Suite 101
      Glendale, AZ 85308-3885
      602-337-8760