Last chance - please call today to stop this bad bill!

  • KariN
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2010
      Alert from The Humane Society of the United States:

      This is our last chance to stop this bad bill!
      Your voice is needed right away to oppose SB1200 - game and fish commission recommendation board. This bill has been sent to the Governor, and we need her to veto it TODAY!

      SB1200 creates a five-member Appointment Recommendation Board that would recommend G&F Commission candidates to the Governor. Not only would this add an unnecessary layer to the appointment process, but since the bill specifies that only certain people could serve on the Appointment Recommendation Board, it gives complete control of who gets chosen for the Game & Fish Commission to a select group of extreme individuals who do not accurately represent Arizona's wildlife experts and enthusiasts. This bill is even opposed by The Arizona Game & Fish Commission, itself.
      Bill details: http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=1200

      Check out what the Arizona Republic has to say...
      A wildlife bill for an elite few
      Mar. 17, 2010
      http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2010/03/16/20100316we\d20317.html
      The wildlife in our state belongs to all Arizonans. The Game and Fish Commission manages them in trust for all of us. But a bill in the Legislature would hijack the commission. It would set up an unprecedented screening process, different from any other board or commission. Senate Bill 1200 (its counterpart is House Bill 2189) would let a cozy coterie, representing a tiny percentage of Arizonans, handpick possible commissioners. The current process is straightforward: The governor nominates commissioners, which the state Senate must confirm. SB 1200 would create an "appointment-recommendation board," stacked to give voice to a few select hunting and fishing groups. They would usurp the authority of the governor, who could consider only their suggestions for commissioner. The backers of this bill have the mistaken idea that Arizona wildlife is theirs. Wrong. It's ours. Legislators should reject this bad bill.

      Please call TODAY!
      It's as easy as thisÂ…
      "Hi, my name is XXXX and I am an Arizona resident. I'm calling to urge Governor Brewer to VETO SB1200 - game and fish commission recommendation board." (If you would like to say more, please do!)

      The Honorable Jan Brewer
      Telephone (602) 542-4331
      Toll Free 1-(800) 253-0883
      Online http://azgovernor.gov/Contact.asp

      Thank you so much for speaking up for the Arizona's wildlife!

      Kari Nienstedt
      Arizona State Director
      knienstedt@...