Advice for voting in the next election

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2008
      Message from AZforANIMALS-

      Friends,

      One of the many ways to prevent animal cruelty is starting on a
      political level. Stronger, stricter laws need to be passed to protect
      animals and punish those who commit crimes against them.

      With the upcoming election, I'm urging ALL VOTERS to start doing their
      homework now. Recently, you should have received a booklet listing
      all candidates that are running for state Senators and
      Representatives. In this booklet you can locate your respective
      District and find out who is running & vying for your vote.

      Most of the candidates have websites and/or email addresses. Please
      take a moment to craft a letter to your nominees and let them know
      your concern for animal welfare, as well as feedback on where they
      stand. I have included a SAMPLE letter that I sent to my candidates
      and urge you to do the same. (Please revise/ reword before sending.)

      Thank you & good luck!!!

      Julie N.

      Dear ______,

      Thank you for your interest in running for State
      (Senator/Representative) I'm a constituent in District __ and
      starting to do my homework before casting my vote in the upcoming
      election. I have the following question and would appreciate your
      feedback to my concerns:

      Where do you stand on issues pertaining to animal welfare and
      protection of animals in our community & statewide? This is an
      extremely important issue for me, as well as my family, friends, and
      many co-workers. I have reviewed other candidates and will not vote
      for those who have a track record of voting against issues to protect
      animals.

      I work in the tourism community but dedicate a lot of my time to
      volunteering at the Maricopa County animal shelter, as well as
      lobbying for stricter laws and initiatives to protect animals
      (including Prop 204 in the last election - the Humane Farming initiative.)

      I'd love to hear from you and know where you stand on my concerns for
      animal welfare.

      Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing
      from you.

      Sincerely,

      FULL NAME

      ADDRESS