Huge news from Canada!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Just in from PETA:

      Hello friends and animal rights colleagues. We announced big news for
      chickens today. No, we didn't win our KFC Campaign, but we did win
      a big part of it! After five and a half years of campaigning—and
      seven long months of closed-door negotiations—KFC Canada (which
      operates separately from KFC elsewhere) has agreed to make sweeping
      animal welfare changes that are more comprehensive than any other
      restaurant or grocery chain has ever made, thus ending our KFC campaign
      in Canada. According to our agreement, which you can read more about in
      the Canadian Press wire story that I pasted below, KFC Canada has
      committed to the following:

      * Purchase 100 percent of its chickens, through a phase-in plan, from
      suppliers that use controlled-atmosphere killing (CAK)—the least
      cruel form of poultry slaughter ever developed. This will prevent
      live-scalding, sadistic abuse by workers (since with CAK, workers never
      even touch live birds), broken bones, painful electric shocks, live
      throat slitting and other abuses. This is the first time any company has
      committed to a total phase in of CAK. What's most remarkable is that
      currently, only ONE chicken slaughterhouse in Canada uses CAK, so this
      will require the industry as a whole to switch over the next few years.
      * Add a vegan fried "chicken" sandwich to the menu of about
      65% of all the KFCs in Canada! (It'll be in stores around July, and
      I hope all you Canadians will devour it.)
      * Improve its animal welfare audit criteria to reduce the number of
      broken bones and other injuries suffered by birds and send PETA the
      detailed results of all their audits every six months…from now until
      the end of time.
      * Urge its suppliers to adopt better farming practices, including
      improved lighting, lower stocking-density and ammonia levels, and a
      phase-out of growth-promoting drugs and breeding practices that
      painfully cripple chickens
      * Form an animal welfare advisory panel and allow PETA to have a say
      in who is on it.

      This is a big day for chickens and all farmed animals. To the many of
      you who have helped with this campaign over the years: CONGRATS! We
      hope now that KFC Canada has done what we've been demanding for so
      long, that KFC's main parent company—YUM! Brands—will follow
      suit. Fingers crossed.

      http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2008/06/01/5739946.html
      <http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2008/06/01/5739946.html>
      `Kentucky Fried Cruelty' comes to an end
      Vegan `chicken' on menu as KFC Canada pledges better animal welfare to
      end protest
      By Colin Perkel
      THE CANADIAN PRESS

      TORONTO _ Following a five-year roasting by animal-rights activists, KFC
      Canada is promising improved welfare for the chickens it buys for its
      fast-food outlets in exchange for an end to a boycott campaign that will
      continue in the U.S. and elsewhere.

      The Canadian Press has learned that People for the Ethical Treatment of
      Animals has agreed to call off its Canadian ``Kentucky Fried Cruelty''
      campaign, which featured high-profile actress Pamela Anderson among
      others, following a signed agreement with the company.

      Among other things, the deal obliges KFC Canada to begin buying from
      suppliers who use gas to kill their chickens painlessly, considered to
      be the least cruel method of slaughter.

      The company is also promising to insist on other ``animal-welfare
      friendly'' measures relating to how the birds are kept, including a
      maximum on crowding and phasing out non-essential growth-hormones and
      other drugs.

      Customers of the popular restaurant chain will also be able to order a
      vegan ``chicken'' item, according to the deal that followed almost seven
      months of at-times ``sticky'' closed-door negotiations.

      ``It's going to drastically reduce the suffering of chickens in
      slaughterhouses and also . . . improve the living conditions for animals
      while they're on the farm,'' Matt Prescott, PETA's assistant director of
      corporate affairs, said from Norfolk, Va.

      KFC Canada President Steve Langford said he was delighted with the
      agreement.

      ``It will be nice to put this behind us,'' Langford said. ``Our
      preference is to have nothing negative attached to our brand.''

      Langford said the Canadian operations, which are independent of those in
      the U.S., had chosen to take the situation into its own hands and talk
      to PETA about animal welfare.

      ``Once I got involved and we actually met face to face, we found out
      that we had no differences of opinion about how animals should be
      treated,'' Langford said.

      ``We landed in a very good place.''

      PETA's campaign, which garnered international attention, has included
      more than 12,000 protests at KFC restaurants and outside the homes of
      company senior executives.

      Demonstrators, who have included former ``Playboy'' pinup Lauren
      Anderson, have burned effigies of company icon, Col. Sanders. Other
      notables such as Paul McCartney, the Dalai Lama, and Chrissie Hynde have
      participated in the campaign.

      KFC Canada was also thrown on the defensive three years ago when PETA
      released horrific video showing poultry workers torturing chickens in
      the United States.

      The company is owned by Priszm Income Fund, based in Vaughan, Ont.,
      which operates 465 outlets across the country. The fund has been
      struggling to stem a flow of red ink and shore up falling share values.

      Most of the 300 independent franchisees have agreed to abide by the
      agreement with PETA.

      ``It appears as though our campaign affected the bottom line to the
      point where the company finally had enough,'' Prescott said.

      ``That said, I also believe that KFC in Canada is genuinely concerned
      about animal welfare.''

      While the anti-KFC campaign will now end in this country, PETA said it
      would continue in the U.S., the U.K. and other countries. However, it is
      hoping to persuade Yum Brands, which owns KFC outlets in the United
      States, to follow the Canadian lead.

      ``With KFC Canada now doing exactly what we want KFC in the U.S. to do,
      our members and activists will be even more energetic and invigorated
      about going after KFC in other countries,'' Prescott said.

      ``All we want is for KFC worldwide to do what KFC Canada has done.''