Action needed now to fight harmful legislation!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2008
      Forwarded from The Humane Society of the United States:

      Urgent – we need to fight these two pieces of legislation that would
      negatively affect animals in our state! Please take a moment to make
      one call to your state Senator - there is legislation that is being
      discussed right now! We also need you to make two calls to your
      state Representatives on legislation that is pending. Click here to
      look up your senator and phone number: https://community.hsus.org/humane/leg-lookup/search.html (Be sure that you click the "State", since it defaults to your federal representatives tab.)
      When you call, you will likely speak to a staff member who can pass
      your message along to your legislator. Remember to be polite and
      professional, and leave your name and address so it is clear that you
      are a constituent.

      SB 1373
      Oppose Legislation that Restricts Animal Welfare

      Within the hour, Arizona Senators will be considering S.B. 1373.
      This legislation would set up an industry represented poultry council
      and gives this council authority over the welfare of these birds.
      This would prevent the cities, towns, and counties from enacting any
      animal welfare measures for birds who live in intensive confinement
      such as battery cages. Approximately 300 million birds in the U.S
      are confined in restrictive wire enclosures known as "battery cages."
      On average, each caged laying hen is afforded only 67 square inches
      of space—less than a single sheet of letter-sized paper, on which to
      live her entire life.

      TAKE ACTION: Please call and email your state senator RIGHT NOW and
      urge opposition to S.B. 1373, legislation that restricts the ability
      of cities, towns, and counties to improve conditions for egg-laying
      hens in Arizona. Even if you aren't able to make this call before
      today's hearing, please make this call! After you make your call,
      send an email to your state senator in opposition to S.B. 1373.
      Legislators receive a lot of email, so it is important to personalize
      your email so that your message will stand out and have a greater

      HCR 2037
      Don't Lose Your Right to Protect Wildlife in Arizona!

      Legislation (H.C.R 2037) has been introduced in the Arizona
      legislature that would prohibit citizen initiatives that protect
      wildlife from inhumane and unsporting hunting and trapping
      activities. H.C.R. 2037 is a cynical and underhanded power grab by
      the legislature to take away the rights of Arizona citizens. It's a
      threat to wildlife and also undemocratic. The right of citizens to
      propose and vote on matters through the initiative process should not
      be undermined by the legislature. Arizona voters have soundly
      rejected similar attempts in the past, and the legislature should not
      thumb its nose at the will of the people. It is critical that your
      representatives hear from constituents who oppose this legislation!

      TAKE ACTION: Please make brief, polite phone calls to your
      representatives to urge opposition for this bill. You can
      say: "Hello my name is [your name] and I'm calling from [your town].
      I am calling to urge [representative's name] to vote "NO" on H.C.R.
      2037, which would take away the rights of Arizona citizens to protect
      the state's wildlife." After making your calls, send a follow-up
      email to your representatives to urge opposition to this bill.
      Finally, please tell your friends and family in Arizona how they can
      take action on this important issue.

      Thank you so much for speaking out for the animals!

      Kari Nienstedt
      Arizona State Director

      The Humane Society of the United States
      PO Box 4936 Scottsdale, AZ 85261
      office 480.443.7979 fax 202.351.0499 cell 480.381.4410

      Celebrating Animals | Confronting Cruelty