Call for Participation: Congress in the Classroom 2012

  • Cindy Koeppel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2012
      NEW * CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: CONGRESS IN THE CLASSROOM 2012

      * Deadline: April 15, 2012 *

      Congress in the Classroom is a national, award-winning education program now in
      its 21st year. Developed and sponsored by The Dirksen Congressional Center, the
      workshop is dedicated to the exchange of ideas and information on teaching
      about Congress.

      Congress in the Classroom is designed for high school or middle school teachers
      who teach U.S. history, government, civics, political science, or social
      studies. Forty teachers will be selected to take part in the program. All
      online applications must be received by no later than April 15, 2012. We will
      notify individuals of our decisions by April 30, 2012. Although the workshop
      will feature a variety of sessions related to Congress, the 2012 program will
      also include presentations about the 2012 presidential election and the
      workshop blends two kinds of sessions. Some emphasize ideas and resources that
      teachers can use almost immediately in their classrooms- sessions about primary
      sources and Best Practices are good examples. Other sessions deal with more
      abstract topics. Think of them as resembling graduate-level courses, stronger
      on content than on classroom applications. If you are looking for a program
      that features one or the other exclusively, Congress in the Classroom® is
      probably not right for you. Throughout the program, you will work with subject
      matter experts as well as colleagues from across the nation. This combination
      of firsthand knowledge and peer-to-peer interaction will give you new ideas,
      materials, and a professionally enriching experience.

      "Until now so much of what I did in my class on Congress was straight
      theory-this is what the Constitution says, "noted one of our teachers." Now I
      can use these activities and illustrations to help get my students involved in
      the class and at the very least their community but hopefully in the federal
      government. This workshop has given me a way to help them see how relevant my
      class is and what they can do to help make changes in society."

      The 2011 workshop will begin Monday afternoon, July 23, and end at noon on
      Thursday, July 26. All sessions will take place at the headquarters hotel,
      Embassy Suites, East Peoria, Illinois.

      The program is certified by the Illinois State Board of Education for up to 22
      Continuing Education Units. The program also is endorsed by the National
      Council for the Social Studies.

      Participants are responsible for (1) a non-refundable $125 registration fee
      (required to confirm acceptance after notice of selection) and (2)
      transportation to and from Peoria, Illinois. Many school districts will pay all
      or a portion of these costs.

      The Center pays for three nights lodging at the headquarters hotel (providing a
      single room for each participant), workshop materials, local transportation,
      all but three meals, and presenter honoraria and expenses.

      The Center spends between $35,000 and $40,000 to host the program each year.

      What follows are the sessions planned for the 2012 edition of Congress in the
      Classroom. Please re-visit the site for changes as the program develops.

      Session Titles, 2012:

      In addition to the sessions below, additional sessions will be listed as
      speakers are confirmed.

      * "New Approaches to Teaching about Congress" Paul C. Milazzo, Department of
      History, Ohio University

      * "Six Promising Approaches to Civic Education" Shawn P. Healy, Chair, Illinois
      Civic Mission Coalition and Resident Scholar and Director of Professional
      Development, McCormick Foundation Civics Program

      * "Why Do People Vote the Way They Do?" Andrew Civettini, Department of
      Political Science, Knox College

      * "Using Fantasy Congress to Engage Your Students" Jennifer Hora, Department of
      Political Science, Valparaiso University

      * "Congress at Work: Going to the Source Documents" Christine Blackerby, Center
      for Legislative Archives, National Archives and Records Administration

      * "Finding Humor in Congress" Frank Mackaman, The Dirksen Congressional Center

      * "A View of Congress from the White House: What the Presidential Tapes Reveal"
      KC Johnson, Department of History, Brooklyn College

      * "What Accounts for a Successful Presidential Administration?" Frank Mackaman,
      The Dirksen Congressional Center

      * "A Journalist's Take on Congress" David Lightman, Congressional
      Correspondent, McClatchy News Service

      * "Teaching with Primary Sources" Cindy Rich, Project Director, Teaching with
      Primary Sources, Eastern Illinois University

      * "Campaigning for Congress 2012" Peter Wielhouwer, Department of Political
      Science, Western Michigan University

      * "The Youth Leadership Initiative and E-Congress" Meg Heubeck, Director of
      Instruction, YLI

      * "I Know Who Will Win the Presidential Election in 2012!" Frank Mackaman, The
      Dirksen Congressional Center

      * "Listen Up Legislators: How to Get Your Point Across" Stephanie Vance, the
      Advocacy Guru, Washington DC

      Take a look at The Dirksen Center Web site --
      http://www.dirksencenter.org/print_programs_CongressClassroom.htm -- to see
      what participants say about the program.

      * REGISTRATION *

      If you are interested in learning more about the sessions and registering for
      the Congress in the Classroom 2012 workshop, you can complete an online
      registration form found at:
      http://www.dirksencenter.org/programs_CiCapplication.htm

      Cindy Koeppel

      The Dirksen Congressional Center