Re(2): [AYA-SSH] Difficulty

  • Judy_Flassing@mac.pattonville.k12.mo.us
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2000
      Hi Carolyn,
      It was nice to see a message from another EA SS/H. I was wondering if
      there was a site for us or if it is OK for us to share in these
      conversations on AYA SS/H. I am very relieved not to be working on the
      portfolio this year. It was grueling, but as with so many others, I too
      feel I am a better teacher for the experience. I was very concerned about
      the Assessment Center and think candidates need to realize that for EA
      SS/H anyway, a great deal of information is sent from National Boards to
      direct us in how to prepare. Even so, some of the questions took
      surprising turns and twists.

      As I went through the process last year I was anxious to talk to other
      social studies teachers who had completed the process and could read my
      entries. I found them at the NBPTS web page and they were very
      supportive. No social studies teachers in my state have tried this and so
      e-mail was my only source of help and it did HELP.

      Judy Flassing
    • Carolyn Hunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hi Judy,
        I started a EA-SS/History but didn't get a reply. So I just use this one.
        I received help from our state regional center where people of all areas met
        once a month. We also had a teacher academy (state and grant supported center
        for one week) for the NBPTS candidates. There were mentors who were certified
        last year in our particular area. That helped alot. We also received help
        from certified people in the educators association in our state. North
        Carolina pays the $2000 if we pass and teach here two years. We also get a
        healthy pay raise. Not bad! I wonder why everyone isn't doing it.
        It's great to hear from a fellow candidate who is waiting on pins and
        needles until November.
        Good Luck!!

        Carolyn