Re: [AYA-SSH] Difficulty

  • Carolyn Hunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2000
      Lou,
      I'm also waiting for scores in November and did the EA SS/History. I
      would be frank with anyone. It was intense but I feel I'm a better teacher
      for it.

      Good luck on your scores.
      Carolyn

    • Judy_Flassing@mac.pattonville.k12.mo.us
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2000
        Hi Carolyn,
        It was nice to see a message from another EA SS/H. I was wondering if
        there was a site for us or if it is OK for us to share in these
        conversations on AYA SS/H. I am very relieved not to be working on the
        portfolio this year. It was grueling, but as with so many others, I too
        feel I am a better teacher for the experience. I was very concerned about
        the Assessment Center and think candidates need to realize that for EA
        SS/H anyway, a great deal of information is sent from National Boards to
        direct us in how to prepare. Even so, some of the questions took
        surprising turns and twists.

        As I went through the process last year I was anxious to talk to other
        social studies teachers who had completed the process and could read my
        entries. I found them at the NBPTS web page and they were very
        supportive. No social studies teachers in my state have tried this and so
        e-mail was my only source of help and it did HELP.

        Judy Flassing
      • Carolyn Hunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
          Hi Judy,
          I started a EA-SS/History but didn't get a reply. So I just use this one.
          I received help from our state regional center where people of all areas met
          once a month. We also had a teacher academy (state and grant supported center
          for one week) for the NBPTS candidates. There were mentors who were certified
          last year in our particular area. That helped alot. We also received help
          from certified people in the educators association in our state. North
          Carolina pays the $2000 if we pass and teach here two years. We also get a
          healthy pay raise. Not bad! I wonder why everyone isn't doing it.
          It's great to hear from a fellow candidate who is waiting on pins and
          needles until November.
          Good Luck!!

          Carolyn