Re: [AYA-SSH] Difficulty

  • sandy thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2000
      If you have the time, it's worth it. Just remember that this is only a year
      long process. I decided after 16 years in the classroom that I could do
      about anything for a year. Sandy
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25 9:56 AM
        It is a very time consuming process. It is like having a part time job in
        addition to your regular teaching duties. I believe the key in making the
        decision to do NBC or not rests with how your style of teaching matches NBC
        requirements and whether or not your flexible enough to adapt to NBC
        requirements.

        >From: "Lou " <fleminlj@...>
        >To: AYA-SSH@egroups.com
        >Subject: [AYA-SSH] Difficulty
        >Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:08:51 -0000
        >
        >Hi! I'm an AYA Science candidate waiting for Novemeber results.
        >Several SS teachers in my district have talked to me about NB in AYA
        >SS, but all seem very intimidated by what they've read about the
        >requirements. I know some of you haven't certified yet, but what
        >would you say to them to help them decide? I will keep your answers
        >in mind for the next time I'm asked.

      • Carolyn Hunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26 4:57 PM
          Lou,
          I'm also waiting for scores in November and did the EA SS/History. I
          would be frank with anyone. It was intense but I feel I'm a better teacher
          for it.

          Good luck on your scores.
          Carolyn

        • Judy_Flassing@mac.pattonville.k12.mo.us
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27 8:04 AM
            Hi Carolyn,
            It was nice to see a message from another EA SS/H. I was wondering if
            there was a site for us or if it is OK for us to share in these
            conversations on AYA SS/H. I am very relieved not to be working on the
            portfolio this year. It was grueling, but as with so many others, I too
            feel I am a better teacher for the experience. I was very concerned about
            the Assessment Center and think candidates need to realize that for EA
            SS/H anyway, a great deal of information is sent from National Boards to
            direct us in how to prepare. Even so, some of the questions took
            surprising turns and twists.

            As I went through the process last year I was anxious to talk to other
            social studies teachers who had completed the process and could read my
            entries. I found them at the NBPTS web page and they were very
            supportive. No social studies teachers in my state have tried this and so
            e-mail was my only source of help and it did HELP.

            Judy Flassing
          • Carolyn Hunter
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
              Hi Judy,
              I started a EA-SS/History but didn't get a reply. So I just use this one.
              I received help from our state regional center where people of all areas met
              once a month. We also had a teacher academy (state and grant supported center
              for one week) for the NBPTS candidates. There were mentors who were certified
              last year in our particular area. That helped alot. We also received help
              from certified people in the educators association in our state. North
              Carolina pays the $2000 if we pass and teach here two years. We also get a
              healthy pay raise. Not bad! I wonder why everyone isn't doing it.
              It's great to hear from a fellow candidate who is waiting on pins and
              needles until November.
              Good Luck!!

              Carolyn