Re: Digest Number 1

  • Carolyn Hunter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 1999
      I've done some looking into the LearnNC. I submitted a version of the culture
      lesson. You submit one to get a password. To do this you must go through someone
      at your central office to have a class on the subject. It's a one day deal. I
      like Hugh's idea of a time line. Which grade do you teach? Does either Hugh or
      Laura teach 7th grade Africa and Asia?

      Carolyn

      AYA-SSH@onelist.com wrote:

> [...]
      > questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
      > get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
      > the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
      > will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
      > clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
      > differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.
      >
      > Have you used this idea?
      >
      > Carolyn319

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:55:22 PDT
      > From: "Hugh Martin" <m_hugh@...>
      > Subject: Re: 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
      >
      > I have never used that idea. It sounds like a great way to involve family
      > members in the students' education. I have the students create a time line
      > of their own life and note corresponding events in American History. I want
      > to expand that to include a similar time line for their parents. Hugh
      >
      > >From: hunter@...
      > >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
      > >Subject: [AYA-SSH] 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
      > >Date: 8 Sep 1999 22:59:00 -0000
      > >
      > >From: hunter@...
      > >
      > >I'm working to improve a few units on culture using the N. C.
      > >Standard of Study. I saw an interesting idea at a conference
      > >about this subject. The class would start the unit by asking
      > >questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
      > >get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
      > >the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
      > >will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
      > >clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
      > >differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.
      > >
      > >Have you used this idea?
      > >
      > >Carolyn319

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 19:57:57 EDT
      > From: "Laura Martin" <lmm80@...>
      > Subject: Re: 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
      >
      > Never used that one. Try the Learn NC web site. They have a discussion
      > section and a lesson section. Some areas are restricted and you need a
      > password to access. It is a great site.
      >
      > Laura
      >
      > >From: hunter@...
      > >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
      > >Subject: [AYA-SSH] 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
      > >Date: 8 Sep 1999 22:59:00 -0000
      > >
      > >From: hunter@...
      > >
      > >I'm working to improve a few units on culture using the N. C.
      > >Standard of Study. I saw an interesting idea at a conference
      > >about this subject. The class would start the unit by asking
      > >questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
      > >get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
      > >the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
      > >will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
      > >clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
      > >differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.

    • Hugh Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 1999
        I teach 11th grade American History and a Senior Law class. The time line
        is used in the American History class.