Re: [[AYA-SSH] Entry 4, and Entry 2]

  • Carolyn Hunter
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
      Lorraine,
      I shared with Andy today what I did. I think the issue is how do ordinary citizens try to make things right for each of us. My students role played how Africans tried to make a change in the Apartheid policy. Make it a personal issue for them. Ask students, "How would you go about making a change in this injustice?" All generations and all societies have to deal with some type of injustice. Just bring it to the students and ask them to solve the problem.
      Carolyn

    • lupohuvie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
        Hi all, I am on the verge of freaking out- I have only a limited number of subjects that I can play with if I want to get my tapes done in time. Presently, I ma studying the Aztecs- I planned on doing a lesson in which we study their daily lives in order to better understand them as a society. I was thinking of having them begin by answering a question like, "What do you need to know in order to better understand a group of people"? Based on what they come up with I will give them specific readings on the Aztecs- can I make a connection to modern day society and ask them what an outsider would need in order to better understand us? Maybe have them create a Venn comparing Aztecs and us?

        This is NOTHING like the great apartheid lesson which really seems to lend itself to this idea of civic competece- from the AMericas I go on to teach ancient African kingdoms and then the Mongols (it's a crazy curriculum)- I see few chances to really emphasize civic competence in what I have to cover- can I get away with my Aztec idea? am I a desperate fool?

        Lorraine