Re: [[AYA-SSH] Entry 4, and Entry 2]

  • ANDY LOGAN
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
      Tom,
      I am working on my tapes to but I am doing the Early Adolescents portfolio.
      Entry 4 small group stresses civic competence. At my school we have debated
      what this term means in this context. Does it mean voting and taking part in
      government or civic competence in terms of showing students can work together
      in small groups. I teach geography and a friend of mine teaches sociology.
      In these subjects it would be much harder to show civic competence in the
      government participation sense than it would if you taught civics or
      government. Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Andy Logan

      Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com
    • lupohuvie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
        Tom and Andy,
        I am also struggling with that idea of "Civic competence". I teach global history and there are not too many areas where I can emphasize this idea. I am taping a small group on Friday and we are looking at the Aztec and there daily lives. I am not sure how I am going to make a connection to this big idea. After we do the Americas we are on to the ancient empires of Africa; in my other classes we are presently looking at COMMUNISM in China and then we go back to Russia to look at STalin's succesors.

        I really don't know what to do and would appreciate you guys sharing any feedback you get. Good luck, keep in touch, Lorraine
      • Carolyn Hunter
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
          Andy,
          I used the issue "Apartheid." The African National Congress was the setting. Each group
          was made up of about six people. I gave them roles; farmer, teacher, shopkeeper, & ect. As
          a group they were to find ways to get the world on their side by anyway possible. I stressed
          how illegal their group was and some of the dangers of opposing the laws and policies of
          Apartheid. I made a worksheet of questions that they were to answer as a group. Before this
          activity, we had talked about how people can make change. You must be careful not to discuss
          it too much or the students will only regurtitate the things you have mentioned. Their
          discussion must be spontaneous. I ask a National Certified teacher to watch and read my entry
          and she liked it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Seventh grade is a hard group to form
          discussions. Especially, if you're not accustomed to teaching that way. It's been a growing
          process for me. I've learned a lot.
          Good luck,
          Carolyn

          ANDY LOGAN wrote:

          > From: ANDY LOGAN <muscleheadlogan@...>
          >
          > Tom,
          > I am working on my tapes to but I am doing the Early Adolescents portfolio.
          > Entry 4 small group stresses civic competence. At my school we have debated
          > what this term means in this context. Does it mean voting and taking part in
          > government or civic competence in terms of showing students can work together
          > in small groups. I teach geography and a friend of mine teaches sociology.
          > In these subjects it would be much harder to show civic competence in the
          > government participation sense than it would if you taught civics or
          > government. Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Andy Logan

          > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com

          > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
          > Apply NOW!
        • Carolyn Hunter
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
            Andy,
            What have you done for whole class discussion? Our state seventh grade studies Africa and
            Asia.
            Carolyn

            ANDY LOGAN wrote:

            > From: ANDY LOGAN <muscleheadlogan@...>
            >
            > Tom,
            > I am working on my tapes to but I am doing the Early Adolescents portfolio.
            > Entry 4 small group stresses civic competence. At my school we have debated
            > what this term means in this context. Does it mean voting and taking part in
            > government or civic competence in terms of showing students can work together
            > in small groups. I teach geography and a friend of mine teaches sociology.
            > In these subjects it would be much harder to show civic competence in the
            > government participation sense than it would if you taught civics or
            > government. Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Andy Logan

            > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com

            > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
            > Apply NOW!
          • Carolyn Hunter
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
              Lorraine,
              I shared with Andy today what I did. I think the issue is how do ordinary citizens try to make things right for each of us. My students role played how Africans tried to make a change in the Apartheid policy. Make it a personal issue for them. Ask students, "How would you go about making a change in this injustice?" All generations and all societies have to deal with some type of injustice. Just bring it to the students and ask them to solve the problem.
              Carolyn

            • lupohuvie@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
                Hi all, I am on the verge of freaking out- I have only a limited number of subjects that I can play with if I want to get my tapes done in time. Presently, I ma studying the Aztecs- I planned on doing a lesson in which we study their daily lives in order to better understand them as a society. I was thinking of having them begin by answering a question like, "What do you need to know in order to better understand a group of people"? Based on what they come up with I will give them specific readings on the Aztecs- can I make a connection to modern day society and ask them what an outsider would need in order to better understand us? Maybe have them create a Venn comparing Aztecs and us?

                This is NOTHING like the great apartheid lesson which really seems to lend itself to this idea of civic competece- from the AMericas I go on to teach ancient African kingdoms and then the Mongols (it's a crazy curriculum)- I see few chances to really emphasize civic competence in what I have to cover- can I get away with my Aztec idea? am I a desperate fool?

                Lorraine