Entry 4, and Entry 2

  • Tom Mullins
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2000
      Hello,I have been reading E-mails and learning a great deal, kudos
      Hugh, Lorraine and MuscleGuy. I have three other teachers at my
      school doing NBC, 2 English and me SS. After working the last two
      months on the videotapes, and taping about 25 hours worth of class
      time. I came to some conclusions based on other teachers evaluation
      with my "chosen" twenty minutes.
      1. The perfect class or lesson plan doesn't exist
      2. Shoot for a reasonable baseline of what you really do in class.
      3. When people "stage" a lesson there is no spontinaity, no zing or
      even a smile.(I've seen staged lessons, they are cardboard cutouts of
      the real thing)
      4. Don't be afraid to address student inattention,move a chair, send
      a person to the overhead, or to another group.
      5. Relax, just let the lesson come out the way that feels right to
      the situation and your goals.
      Specifically for my small group, I had three groups of four students.
      We had read an article on school violence, a student had shot another
      student in the leg.(happens everyday, pitiful I know) I went from
      group to group, posing questions and listening to students discourse
      and disagreements. So 5x3=15 minutes, and a whole class discussion
      that went on for another 20.
      Hugh is right. Shoot alot. Get the best.

      Whew!
      Tom