Re: 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History

  • Hugh Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 1999
      I have never used that idea. It sounds like a great way to involve family
      members in the students' education. I have the students create a time line
      of their own life and note corresponding events in American History. I want
      to expand that to include a similar time line for their parents. Hugh

      >From: hunter@...
      >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
      >Subject: [AYA-SSH] 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
      >Date: 8 Sep 1999 22:59:00 -0000
      >
      >From: hunter@...
      >
      >I'm working to improve a few units on culture using the N. C.
      >Standard of Study. I saw an interesting idea at a conference
      >about this subject. The class would start the unit by asking
      >questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
      >get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
      >the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
      >will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
      >clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
      >differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.
      >
      >Have you used this idea?
      >
      >Carolyn319

      >Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
      >With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

    • Laura Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 1999
        Never used that one. Try the Learn NC web site. They have a discussion
        section and a lesson section. Some areas are restricted and you need a
        password to access. It is a great site.

        Laura