Re: ideas for small group

  • lynch_rolonkm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2005
      Thanks for the help. In trying to plan I had jotted some things down
      and it goes along with what you said. How does this sound for an
      idea? I teach Native American History at the high school level and I
      was thinking about videotaping my small group sometime around Jan 24-
      25. We would have discussed 2 major Native American culture
      regions. I was planning on putting them in groups and have them to
      compare the 2 regions using questions. I can incorporate talking
      sticks (include the purpose) since many Native groups used them. I
      haven't thought of a culminating activity yet. Still working on that
      one. Maybe to have individual students to compare the regions in
      picture form?

      I would appreciate any help. I missed out by 11 points.

      Katina -

      -- In AYA-SSH@yahoogroups.com, Leah LaCrosse <leahlacrosse@y...>
      wrote:
      > K. Lynch,
      >
      > The only suggestion that I can give you is a basic description of
      my small group lesson. I posed 3-4 questions for the students to
      discuss and write ideas down about relating to a topic that we
      previously introduced. The questions were written on the board, the
      students were responsible for jotting down ideas and taking turns. I
      monitored group work by rotating among the groups, and each group
      monitored their individual's participation by using popsicle sticks
      and placing them in the center of the table after each member spoke.
      This reminded them that everyone needed to participate. I also
      carried around a clip board with additional questions and paper to
      jot down notes about student comments. The end of my video showed
      students sharing their ideas, me reviewing their comments that I had
      heard in rotation, and prompting further ideas. Students then
      completed a journal entry as a culminating product.

      > I hope this helps. I think that guided exploration of questions in
      groups is a good way to encourage discussion and questioning
      techniques among the students.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2005
        Katina,
        What a great plan!  I think incorporating talking sticks into the lesson shows creativity and content connections.  I also think that group discussions are most productive when the students have had some contact with the topic.  They have background to pull from.  Your culminating activity with comparison in picture form also sounds really good.  You are accomodating a variety of learning styles throughout the lesson, and you are finishing with another learning style.  Great!  I would suggest having a rubric to guide them in their final product.  That will ensure content goals are accomplished.
        I think the lesson sounds great.
        Leah