Re: [AYA-SSH] ideas for small group

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2005
      K. Lynch,

      The only suggestion that I can give you is a basic description of my small group lesson.  I posed 3-4 questions for the students to discuss and write ideas down about relating to a topic that we previously introduced.  The questions were written on the board, the students were responsible for jotting down ideas and taking turns.  I monitored group work by rotating among the groups, and each group monitored their individual's participation by using popsicle sticks and placing them in the center of the table after each member spoke.  This reminded them that everyone needed to participate.  I also carried around a clip board with additional questions and paper to jot down notes about student comments.  The end of my video showed students sharing their ideas, me reviewing their comments that I had heard in rotation, and prompting further ideas.  Students then completed a journal entry as a culminating product.

      I hope this helps.  I think that guided exploration of questions in groups is a good way to encourage discussion and questioning techniques among the students.

      Leah

    • lynch_rolonkm
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2005
        Thanks for the help. In trying to plan I had jotted some things down
        and it goes along with what you said. How does this sound for an
        idea? I teach Native American History at the high school level and I
        was thinking about videotaping my small group sometime around Jan 24-
        25. We would have discussed 2 major Native American culture
        regions. I was planning on putting them in groups and have them to
        compare the 2 regions using questions. I can incorporate talking
        sticks (include the purpose) since many Native groups used them. I
        haven't thought of a culminating activity yet. Still working on that
        one. Maybe to have individual students to compare the regions in
        picture form?

        I would appreciate any help. I missed out by 11 points.

        Katina -

        -- In AYA-SSH@yahoogroups.com, Leah LaCrosse <leahlacrosse@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2005
          Katina,
          What a great plan!  I think incorporating talking sticks into the lesson shows creativity and content connections.  I also think that group discussions are most productive when the students have had some contact with the topic.  They have background to pull from.  Your culminating activity with comparison in picture form also sounds really good.  You are accomodating a variety of learning styles throughout the lesson, and you are finishing with another learning style.  Great!  I would suggest having a rubric to guide them in their final product.  That will ensure content goals are accomplished.
          I think the lesson sounds great.
          Leah