Professional Development Opportunity

  • ckoeppel1
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2004
      The Dirksen Congressional Center, a non-partisan, not-for-profit
      organization located in Pekin, Illinois, that seeks to improve civic
      engagement by promoting a better understanding of Congress and its
      leaders is offering a FREE professional development opportunity.

      Do you teach social studies, American government, American history,
      or civics? Are your lessons about the U.S. Congress out of date? Is
      it hard to engage your students in learning about the House and
      Senate?

      Congress in the Classroom Online -- http://www.congressclass.org --
      will help you understand today's Congress and suggest ways to teach
      about it. The self-paced workshop is organized around the twin
      responsibilities of Congress members: representation and lawmaking.
      There are more than a dozen individual units on such topics as "What
      Makes for Effective Members of Congress?" "How Representative is the
      Membership of Congress?" and "Lawmaking: Understanding the Basics."
      All the information you need to complete the online workshop is
      available with just a few mouse clicks.

      A variety of congressional scholars have authored the workshop
      resources, and their qualifications are listed with their content
      pieces. Visit our "Faculty Information" page to find out more --
      http://www.congressclass.org/facultyinformation.htm.

      This professional development opportunity has no scheduled class times
      -- you participate at your convenience, day or night, no matter what
      time zone you're in. We want to make it easy -- get a professional
      development opportunity without ever leaving your own home!

      For more information, visit --
      http://www.congressclass.org/courseinformation_contents.htm -- for a
      complete workshop program overview.

      We invite you to register to participate in Congress in the Classroom
      Online to help you understand today's Congress and discover ways to
      teach about it -- with all the convenience and speed of the Internet.

      We look forward to your participation. Let us know if you have any
      questions or comments.

      Cindy Koeppel
      The Dirksen Congressional Center
      http://www.dirksencongressionalcenter.org