7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History

  • hunter@wnclink.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 1999
      I'm working to improve a few units on culture using the N. C.
      Standard of Study. I saw an interesting idea at a conference
      about this subject. The class would start the unit by asking
      questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
      get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
      the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
      will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
      clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
      differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.

      Have you used this idea?

      Carolyn319
    • Hugh Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 1999
        I have never used that idea. It sounds like a great way to involve family
        members in the students' education. I have the students create a time line
        of their own life and note corresponding events in American History. I want
        to expand that to include a similar time line for their parents. Hugh

        >From: hunter@...
        >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
        >Subject: [AYA-SSH] 7th grade, early adolescent Social Studies-History
        >Date: 8 Sep 1999 22:59:00 -0000
        >
        >From: hunter@...
        >
        >I'm working to improve a few units on culture using the N. C.
        >Standard of Study. I saw an interesting idea at a conference
        >about this subject. The class would start the unit by asking
        >questions to their family members, especially the elders, to
        >get any idea of how their cultures have changed since they were
        >the age of my 7th graders. The kids love this. From here we
        >will talk about the elements of culture; language, religion,
        >clothes, foods, and etc. This can be used to discuss cultural
        >differences in groups of people in Africa and Asia.
        >
        >Have you used this idea?
        >
        >Carolyn319

        >Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
        >With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

      • Laura Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 1999
          Never used that one. Try the Learn NC web site. They have a discussion
          section and a lesson section. Some areas are restricted and you need a
          password to access. It is a great site.

          Laura