Re: [AYA-SSH] Re: Anyone out there?

  • Lauri Elam
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
      Good Morning,
      I have read your questions about how much a candidate should videotape. In
      my experience, tape, tape, tape... It gets the teacher more comfortable with
      the process and the students get adjusted also. I suggest you tape even if
      you do not think you would ever submit that lesson.

      I also had lots going on at once. I kept separate notebooks and files on
      each entry. That saved me some organization time.

      As far as the assessment center, I suggest that you put that on the bottom of
      the list right now. I found that the videos were the hardest. I had trouble
      hearing my kids, getting a good camera person, etc.

      Also, keep reading the standards and write notes as you go. Hope this helps,
      Lauri NBCT '02

      leahlacrosse wrote:

      > Laura,
      > I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
      > (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
      > getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
      > heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
      > tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
      > tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
      > Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
      > chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
      > wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
      > like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
      > Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.
      >
      > I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
      > yet! AHHHHH!
      >
      > So, what have you heard?
      >
      > Leah LaCrosse

    • Leigh Martin
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
        I second most of what Lauri said, except that when the time came to take the
        assessment center exercises, I felt really pushed. If there is an are that
        is really foreign to you, such as economics was for me, I would get an AP
        text or study guide and do a little review all along.
        Leigh Martin
        Benjamin Russell High School
        Alexander City, AL
        AYA-SSH 2001
        lmartin@...

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • think@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004
          Yes, I'm here!  I haven't found ANYONE else doing this certification area.  Glad to hear from you.

          Laura Huffman

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
            Laura,
            When I certified (2001),  there seemd to be a cross-curricular emphasis, so I would include the writing goals as well.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
              Thanks, I will. I appreciate your reponse.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                Wow!
                That is so weird because I found the same thing.  I have so many pages dedicated to describing the process and goals that I've run out for the commentary on the students.  I was going to type it all out, then read through and try to cut out parts.  Another person reminded me of two little ways to cut down papers...one-between each sentence only put one space (I always put two..so this may help a little)...two-when editing, look to the end of paragraphs and try to edit the ones that have just a few words on the last line (this will help to pull up the paragraph by a line).  I know that these are small tips, but they may help in crunch time.
                Also, I am having an english teacher read through mine to help streamline it.

                As far as goals, I think that we should put in all goals.  I have writing, social studies, and tech goals in one of my prompts for the students.  I think that shows a more well rounded educator.  My opinion though...not sure about that.

                I am having trouble with entry 4.  I have rewritten it at least 3-4 times now.  My question is...do we do just 3-4 accomplishments and really elaborate, or do we do more to show a more well rounded amount of accomplishments?  Anyone have ideas on that?

                Thanks.
                Good luck everyone...keep plugging away!
                Leah

              • think@adelphia.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                  I asked an assessor for entry #4 whether it was better to have an abundance of accomplisments or was it better to fully develop a fewer number. She told me that she felt a fewer number of strong accomplishments was better, remembering that you need to show how student learning was impacted. This is probably the route I will take.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 8, 2004
                    Thank you!   That seems to be what people are suggesting.  I think this will be my best route!