Overall questions...hopefully someone can answer them!

  • leahlacrosse
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2003
      I am trying for certification Early Adolescence Young Adult Social
      Studies-History (ages 11-15). I'm not sure about this list serve
      being the right one for me, but maybe some questions will cross
      over. I don't know.

      Question 1- Passage rate for certification. Does anyone know the
      stats on that or how to find them? My friend who is going for Spec.
      Ed. certification knew hers from a list serv. I was just wondering.

      Question 2- Video taping-I've heard that it is good to video tape a
      lot...multiple lessons, multiple times and choose from there. Then,
      I heard to video tape just a couple to narrow it down. Any ideas?

      Question 3- When studying for the content part of the test, how is
      everyone going about that? Are you just brushing up in a few areas,
      doing more in-depth? I'm getting a little overwhelmed with that
      part, and I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it.

      Question4- I noticed Erin mentioned that she had a lot of
      parts...but nothing really completed. I feel the same...is that how
      this will be? I feel like every part of my portfolio is a work in
      progress...is that ok? I am trying to pace myself. But I think
      that I'm going to get slammed in the last month with things that I
      could have accomplished sooner.

      So, after that short novel...any comments, advice would be great.
      Have a nice day!

      Leah LaCrosse
    • Laura M. Huffman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2003
        I live in North Carolina, and we were told that the passing rate for the
        state in social studies was 47%. Don't know if that helps!

        Laura Huffman

        leahlacrosse wrote:

        > I am trying for certification Early Adolescence Young Adult Social
        > Studies-History (ages 11-15). I'm not sure about this list serve
        > being the right one for me, but maybe some questions will cross
        > over. I don't know.
        >
        > Question 1- Passage rate for certification. Does anyone know the
        > stats on that or how to find them? My friend who is going for Spec.
        > Ed. certification knew hers from a list serv. I was just wondering.
        >
        > Question 2- Video taping-I've heard that it is good to video tape a
        > lot...multiple lessons, multiple times and choose from there. Then,
        > I heard to video tape just a couple to narrow it down. Any ideas?
        >
        > Question 3- When studying for the content part of the test, how is
        > everyone going about that? Are you just brushing up in a few areas,
        > doing more in-depth? I'm getting a little overwhelmed with that
        > part, and I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it.
        >
        > Question4- I noticed Erin mentioned that she had a lot of
        > parts...but nothing really completed. I feel the same...is that how
        > this will be? I feel like every part of my portfolio is a work in
        > progress...is that ok? I am trying to pace myself. But I think
        > that I'm going to get slammed in the last month with things that I
        > could have accomplished sooner.
        >
        > So, after that short novel...any comments, advice would be great.
        > Have a nice day!
        >
        > Leah LaCrosse

      • leahlacrosse
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2003
          Thank you, Laura!
          That does help. 47% is better than what my friend is looking at.
          Her certification passing rate is under 20%. Although, 47% won't
          help me sleep at night to much better. :)

          Leah
        • Leigh Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2003
            Leah,
            I worked the same way - I had pieces of entries all going at once. That is
            my teaching/ learning style, I guess. You will feel good though, when you
            do finish an entry. Try to start doing that in Jan/Feb. You can always
            revisit later, and you probably will. BUt you never know what circustances
            lie ahead, and those video entries do seem to take a lot of time.
            Leigh Martin
            Benjamin Russell High School
            Alexander City, AL
            lmartin@...