Re: [AYA-SSH] Anyone out there?

  • Lauri Elam
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 12, 2003
      Hi Erin,
      I think I might better be able to offer advice if you could be more specific.  What entry(ies) are you working on?  What parts do you have questions about?  Lauri

      think@... wrote:

      Hi,
         My name is Erin and I am also undergoing the process of AYA Social Studies.  I'm a little behind the power curve . . .lots of pieces and no finished entries.  let me know how you are doing?

      > From: "Laura M. Huffman" <surlygurl@...>
      > Date: 2003/12/11 Thu AM 07:42:26 EST
      > To: AYA-SSH@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [AYA-SSH] Anyone out there?

      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/C1XolB/TM

      Yes, I'm here!  I haven't found ANYONE else doing this certification area.  Glad to hear from you.

      Laura Huffman

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 15, 2003
        Laura,
        I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
        (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
        getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
        heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
        tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
        tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
        Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
        chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
        wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
        like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
        Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.

        I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
        yet! AHHHHH!

        So, what have you heard?

        Leah LaCrosse
      • Lauri Elam
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
          Good Morning,
          I have read your questions about how much a candidate should videotape. In
          my experience, tape, tape, tape... It gets the teacher more comfortable with
          the process and the students get adjusted also. I suggest you tape even if
          you do not think you would ever submit that lesson.

          I also had lots going on at once. I kept separate notebooks and files on
          each entry. That saved me some organization time.

          As far as the assessment center, I suggest that you put that on the bottom of
          the list right now. I found that the videos were the hardest. I had trouble
          hearing my kids, getting a good camera person, etc.

          Also, keep reading the standards and write notes as you go. Hope this helps,
          Lauri NBCT '02

          leahlacrosse wrote:

          > Laura,
          > I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
          > (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
          > getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
          > heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
          > tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
          > tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
          > Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
          > chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
          > wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
          > like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
          > Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.
          >
          > I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
          > yet! AHHHHH!
          >
          > So, what have you heard?
          >
          > Leah LaCrosse

        • Leigh Martin
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
            I second most of what Lauri said, except that when the time came to take the
            assessment center exercises, I felt really pushed. If there is an are that
            is really foreign to you, such as economics was for me, I would get an AP
            text or study guide and do a little review all along.
            Leigh Martin
            Benjamin Russell High School
            Alexander City, AL
            AYA-SSH 2001
            lmartin@...

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • think@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                Laura,
                When I certified (2001),  there seemd to be a cross-curricular emphasis, so I would include the writing goals as well.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                  Thanks, I will. I appreciate your reponse.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Wow!
                    That is so weird because I found the same thing.  I have so many pages dedicated to describing the process and goals that I've run out for the commentary on the students.  I was going to type it all out, then read through and try to cut out parts.  Another person reminded me of two little ways to cut down papers...one-between each sentence only put one space (I always put two..so this may help a little)...two-when editing, look to the end of paragraphs and try to edit the ones that have just a few words on the last line (this will help to pull up the paragraph by a line).  I know that these are small tips, but they may help in crunch time.
                    Also, I am having an english teacher read through mine to help streamline it.

                    As far as goals, I think that we should put in all goals.  I have writing, social studies, and tech goals in one of my prompts for the students.  I think that shows a more well rounded educator.  My opinion though...not sure about that.

                    I am having trouble with entry 4.  I have rewritten it at least 3-4 times now.  My question is...do we do just 3-4 accomplishments and really elaborate, or do we do more to show a more well rounded amount of accomplishments?  Anyone have ideas on that?

                    Thanks.
                    Good luck everyone...keep plugging away!
                    Leah

                  • think@adelphia.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                      I asked an assessor for entry #4 whether it was better to have an abundance of accomplisments or was it better to fully develop a fewer number. She told me that she felt a fewer number of strong accomplishments was better, remembering that you need to show how student learning was impacted. This is probably the route I will take.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 8, 2004
                        Thank you!   That seems to be what people are suggesting.  I think this will be my best route!