Re: [AYA-SSH] Anyone out there?

  • LRCC18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
      I certified in 1999. I'm here!

      Leslie Coleman, NBCT
    • Laura M. Huffman
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
        Great! I wonder if you have any words of advice, Lauri?

        Laura Huffman

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
          Great! Thanks, Leslie. What words of wisdom do you have for us? I'm sure those of us in the certification process have a lot to learn from you!

          Laura Huffman

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
            I certified in 2001 - would be glad to chat!

            Leigh Martin
            Benjamin Russell High School
            Alexander City, AL
            lmartin@...

          • think@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
              Yes, I'm here!  I haven't found ANYONE else doing this certification area.  Glad to hear from you.

              Laura Huffman

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                I certified in 1999.  I'm here!

                Leslie Coleman, NBCT

              • think@adelphia.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003

                • think@adelphia.net

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                      Block out time EVERY week.  Sun. aft. was always a good time for me.  Tape, Tape and TAPE!!
                      I will be glad to read narratives for you.  I understand that you now have 4 rather than 6 entries - GOOD LUCK and keep in touch.  I will be glad to answer speicific questions as well.  I do panel discussions on this through the Inservice Center.
                      Leigh
                         My name is Erin and I am attempting to certify in AYA Social Studies.  I'm looking for any "pearl" of wisdom you might be able to share.

                      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/C1XolB/TM

                      I certified in 2001 - would be glad to chat!

                      Leigh Martin
                      Benjamin Russell High School
                      Alexander City, AL
                      lmartin@...

                      > I am getting into the process and am wondering if there is anyone
                      > out there to chat with.

                    • Lauri Elam
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 12, 2003
                        Hi Erin,
                        I think I might better be able to offer advice if you could be more specific.  What entry(ies) are you working on?  What parts do you have questions about?  Lauri

                        think@... wrote:

                        Hi,
                           My name is Erin and I am also undergoing the process of AYA Social Studies.  I'm a little behind the power curve . . .lots of pieces and no finished entries.  let me know how you are doing?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 15, 2003
                          Laura,
                          I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
                          (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
                          getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
                          heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
                          tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
                          tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
                          Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
                          chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
                          wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
                          like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
                          Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.

                          I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
                          yet! AHHHHH!

                          So, what have you heard?

                          Leah LaCrosse
                        • Lauri Elam
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
                            Good Morning,
                            I have read your questions about how much a candidate should videotape. In
                            my experience, tape, tape, tape... It gets the teacher more comfortable with
                            the process and the students get adjusted also. I suggest you tape even if
                            you do not think you would ever submit that lesson.

                            I also had lots going on at once. I kept separate notebooks and files on
                            each entry. That saved me some organization time.

                            As far as the assessment center, I suggest that you put that on the bottom of
                            the list right now. I found that the videos were the hardest. I had trouble
                            hearing my kids, getting a good camera person, etc.

                            Also, keep reading the standards and write notes as you go. Hope this helps,
                            Lauri NBCT '02

                            leahlacrosse wrote:

                            > Laura,
                            > I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
                            > (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
                            > getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
                            > heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
                            > tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
                            > tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
                            > Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
                            > chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
                            > wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
                            > like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
                            > Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.
                            >
                            > I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
                            > yet! AHHHHH!
                            >
                            > So, what have you heard?
                            >
                            > Leah LaCrosse

                          • Leigh Martin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
                              I second most of what Lauri said, except that when the time came to take the
                              assessment center exercises, I felt really pushed. If there is an are that
                              is really foreign to you, such as economics was for me, I would get an AP
                              text or study guide and do a little review all along.
                              Leigh Martin
                              Benjamin Russell High School
                              Alexander City, AL
                              AYA-SSH 2001
                              lmartin@...

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                                  Laura,
                                  When I certified (2001),  there seemd to be a cross-curricular emphasis, so I would include the writing goals as well.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                                    Thanks, I will. I appreciate your reponse.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                                      Wow!
                                      That is so weird because I found the same thing.  I have so many pages dedicated to describing the process and goals that I've run out for the commentary on the students.  I was going to type it all out, then read through and try to cut out parts.  Another person reminded me of two little ways to cut down papers...one-between each sentence only put one space (I always put two..so this may help a little)...two-when editing, look to the end of paragraphs and try to edit the ones that have just a few words on the last line (this will help to pull up the paragraph by a line).  I know that these are small tips, but they may help in crunch time.
                                      Also, I am having an english teacher read through mine to help streamline it.

                                      As far as goals, I think that we should put in all goals.  I have writing, social studies, and tech goals in one of my prompts for the students.  I think that shows a more well rounded educator.  My opinion though...not sure about that.

                                      I am having trouble with entry 4.  I have rewritten it at least 3-4 times now.  My question is...do we do just 3-4 accomplishments and really elaborate, or do we do more to show a more well rounded amount of accomplishments?  Anyone have ideas on that?

                                      Thanks.
                                      Good luck everyone...keep plugging away!
                                      Leah

                                    • think@adelphia.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                                        I asked an assessor for entry #4 whether it was better to have an abundance of accomplisments or was it better to fully develop a fewer number. She told me that she felt a fewer number of strong accomplishments was better, remembering that you need to show how student learning was impacted. This is probably the route I will take.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 8, 2004
                                          Thank you!   That seems to be what people are suggesting.  I think this will be my best route!