Anyone out there?

  • leahlacrosse
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 10, 2003
      I am getting into the process and am wondering if there is anyone
      out there to chat with.
    • Laura M. Huffman
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
        Yes, I'm here! I haven't found ANYONE else doing this certification area. Glad to hear from you.

        Laura Huffman

      • LRCC18@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
          I certified in 1999. I'm here!

          Leslie Coleman, NBCT
        • Lauri Elam
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
            Hi,
            I'm here, and I understand what you're going through. I certified in 2002,
            aya-ssh. Lauri

            leahlacrosse wrote:

            > I am getting into the process and am wondering if there is anyone
            > out there to chat with.

          • Laura M. Huffman
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
              Great! I wonder if you have any words of advice, Lauri?

              Laura Huffman

              leahlacrosse wrote:

              > I am getting into the process and am wondering if there is anyone
              > out there to chat with.

            • Laura M. Huffman
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                Great! Thanks, Leslie. What words of wisdom do you have for us? I'm sure those of us in the certification process have a lot to learn from you!

                Laura Huffman

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                  I certified in 2001 - would be glad to chat!

                  Leigh Martin
                  Benjamin Russell High School
                  Alexander City, AL
                  lmartin@...

                • think@adelphia.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                      I certified in 1999.  I'm here!

                      Leslie Coleman, NBCT

                    • think@adelphia.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003

                      • think@adelphia.net

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 11, 2003
                            Block out time EVERY week.  Sun. aft. was always a good time for me.  Tape, Tape and TAPE!!
                            I will be glad to read narratives for you.  I understand that you now have 4 rather than 6 entries - GOOD LUCK and keep in touch.  I will be glad to answer speicific questions as well.  I do panel discussions on this through the Inservice Center.
                            Leigh
                               My name is Erin and I am attempting to certify in AYA Social Studies.  I'm looking for any "pearl" of wisdom you might be able to share.

                            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/C1XolB/TM

                            I certified in 2001 - would be glad to chat!

                            Leigh Martin
                            Benjamin Russell High School
                            Alexander City, AL
                            lmartin@...

                            > I am getting into the process and am wondering if there is anyone
                            > out there to chat with.

                          • Lauri Elam
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 12, 2003
                              Hi Erin,
                              I think I might better be able to offer advice if you could be more specific.  What entry(ies) are you working on?  What parts do you have questions about?  Lauri

                              think@... wrote:

                              Hi,
                                 My name is Erin and I am also undergoing the process of AYA Social Studies.  I'm a little behind the power curve . . .lots of pieces and no finished entries.  let me know how you are doing?

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 15, 2003
                                Laura,
                                I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
                                (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
                                getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
                                heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
                                tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
                                tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
                                Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
                                chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
                                wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
                                like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
                                Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.

                                I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
                                yet! AHHHHH!

                                So, what have you heard?

                                Leah LaCrosse
                              • Lauri Elam
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
                                  Good Morning,
                                  I have read your questions about how much a candidate should videotape. In
                                  my experience, tape, tape, tape... It gets the teacher more comfortable with
                                  the process and the students get adjusted also. I suggest you tape even if
                                  you do not think you would ever submit that lesson.

                                  I also had lots going on at once. I kept separate notebooks and files on
                                  each entry. That saved me some organization time.

                                  As far as the assessment center, I suggest that you put that on the bottom of
                                  the list right now. I found that the videos were the hardest. I had trouble
                                  hearing my kids, getting a good camera person, etc.

                                  Also, keep reading the standards and write notes as you go. Hope this helps,
                                  Lauri NBCT '02

                                  leahlacrosse wrote:

                                  > Laura,
                                  > I am so happy to hear that there are others out there! Misery
                                  > (close to it) loves company. I guess I'm not miserable, but I am
                                  > getting a little nervous. I haven't started video taping. I've
                                  > heard some conflicting theories on that. One certified person said
                                  > tape just a few lessons and go from there. Another person said to
                                  > tape multiple times to choose from. Have you heard anything?
                                  > Also, the content...I am trying to cram for what seems like a huge
                                  > chunk of information. I am an elementary certified teacher, and I'm
                                  > wondering if that will hinder my test ability. I have been reading
                                  > like you wouldn't believe. Have you heard anything about the test?
                                  > Writing samples...so far I've collected on assignment to evaluate.
                                  >
                                  > I guess I feel like I have little parts...but nothing completed
                                  > yet! AHHHHH!
                                  >
                                  > So, what have you heard?
                                  >
                                  > Leah LaCrosse

                                • Leigh Martin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 16, 2003
                                    I second most of what Lauri said, except that when the time came to take the
                                    assessment center exercises, I felt really pushed. If there is an are that
                                    is really foreign to you, such as economics was for me, I would get an AP
                                    text or study guide and do a little review all along.
                                    Leigh Martin
                                    Benjamin Russell High School
                                    Alexander City, AL
                                    AYA-SSH 2001
                                    lmartin@...

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                                        Laura,
                                        When I certified (2001),  there seemd to be a cross-curricular emphasis, so I would include the writing goals as well.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 28, 2004
                                          Thanks, I will. I appreciate your reponse.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                                            Wow!
                                            That is so weird because I found the same thing.  I have so many pages dedicated to describing the process and goals that I've run out for the commentary on the students.  I was going to type it all out, then read through and try to cut out parts.  Another person reminded me of two little ways to cut down papers...one-between each sentence only put one space (I always put two..so this may help a little)...two-when editing, look to the end of paragraphs and try to edit the ones that have just a few words on the last line (this will help to pull up the paragraph by a line).  I know that these are small tips, but they may help in crunch time.
                                            Also, I am having an english teacher read through mine to help streamline it.

                                            As far as goals, I think that we should put in all goals.  I have writing, social studies, and tech goals in one of my prompts for the students.  I think that shows a more well rounded educator.  My opinion though...not sure about that.

                                            I am having trouble with entry 4.  I have rewritten it at least 3-4 times now.  My question is...do we do just 3-4 accomplishments and really elaborate, or do we do more to show a more well rounded amount of accomplishments?  Anyone have ideas on that?

                                            Thanks.
                                            Good luck everyone...keep plugging away!
                                            Leah

                                          • think@adelphia.net
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                                              I asked an assessor for entry #4 whether it was better to have an abundance of accomplisments or was it better to fully develop a fewer number. She told me that she felt a fewer number of strong accomplishments was better, remembering that you need to show how student learning was impacted. This is probably the route I will take.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 8, 2004
                                                Thank you!   That seems to be what people are suggesting.  I think this will be my best route!