beginning process

  • ladyfow
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
      I just joined this chat group and wanted to introduce myself. I am just beginning the
      process, haven't received my portfolio yet, but did download it from website. Any
      advice on which section to start on first? Have another colleague at my school
      working on this same area-Social Studies. I teach 11th and 12th graders-Am. Gov't.
      dual enrolled, and AICE US History.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2003
        Hi!
        I just started the process too.  I haven't received anything yet...still waiting.  I teach 6th grade social studies.  I have another teacher also starting the certification process, but in Spec. Ed.  So, I'd be glad to have a social studies connection to talk to!
        I haven't really don't much but read over the standards and try to get the whole funding issue worked out.

        If I receive anything my way that could be of value, I will send it your way.

        Good luck in this, and I'll be in touch.

        L.LaCrosse
        Ohio

      • Renae Evans
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
          Has anyone seen a sample Social Studies portfolio?

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
            Not yet.  Any ideas where to get one?
            L. LaCrosse

          • Laura M. Huffman
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
              I asked around at my school and got the portfolio of someone who did
              their Boards in Secondary English. While its not exactly the same, it
              is helpful to look at things we need to do in common (like documented
              accomplishments). I also have his scoring guide so I can see on what
              elements he did well and which he did not, to get a greater idea of what
              they're looking for. He also advised me to insure my portfolio for
              $2300 when I mail it, so I'll be able to reimburse my state the money
              they shelled out should it get lost in the mail. That seemed like a
              good idea to me; thought I'd pass it on.

              Laura Huffman

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                Thanks Laura,
                Good advice!
                I think I'll try to snag a portfolio from someone just to get an idea of what goes into it.
                Leah LaCrosse