beginning process

  • ladyfow
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
    • ladyfow
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
        I just joined this chat group and wanted to introduce myself. I am just beginning the
        process, haven't received my portfolio yet, but did download it from website. Any
        advice on which section to start on first? Have another colleague at my school
        working on this same area-Social Studies. I teach 11th and 12th graders-Am. Gov't.
        dual enrolled, and AICE US History.
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2003
          Hi!
          I just started the process too.  I haven't received anything yet...still waiting.  I teach 6th grade social studies.  I have another teacher also starting the certification process, but in Spec. Ed.  So, I'd be glad to have a social studies connection to talk to!
          I haven't really don't much but read over the standards and try to get the whole funding issue worked out.

          If I receive anything my way that could be of value, I will send it your way.

          Good luck in this, and I'll be in touch.

          L.LaCrosse
          Ohio

        • Renae Evans
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
            Has anyone seen a sample Social Studies portfolio?

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
              Not yet.  Any ideas where to get one?
              L. LaCrosse

            • Laura M. Huffman
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2003
                I asked around at my school and got the portfolio of someone who did
                their Boards in Secondary English. While its not exactly the same, it
                is helpful to look at things we need to do in common (like documented
                accomplishments). I also have his scoring guide so I can see on what
                elements he did well and which he did not, to get a greater idea of what
                they're looking for. He also advised me to insure my portfolio for
                $2300 when I mail it, so I'll be able to reimburse my state the money
                they shelled out should it get lost in the mail. That seemed like a
                good idea to me; thought I'd pass it on.

                Laura Huffman

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Thanks Laura,
                  Good advice!
                  I think I'll try to snag a portfolio from someone just to get an idea of what goes into it.
                  Leah LaCrosse