Re: ENTRY 3

  • LRCC18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2000
      Last year, for my large group video, I facilitated a discussion about the use
      of racial slurs. We were studying a unit on the Civil Rights Movement. Our
      school had experienced a racial situation at a baseball game between a
      predominately black school and white school. I was able to pull in all the
      standards in the discussion ie: Promoting Social Understanding, Knowledge of
      Students,Learning environments, etc. I scored etremely high on this entry.
      Remember to let the students do the majority of the talking, particularly
      between each other (in addition to the dialogue between you and the students.
      Best of luck to all AYA/SS-H candidates!
      Leslie Coleman, NBCT
      Director, SW MS World Class Teaching Initiative
    • Hugh Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2000
        My entry is a seminar discussion on capital punishment. The students did
        research into the topic and then discussed the pros and cons of issues on
        both sides.

        >From: muscleheadlogan@...
        >To: AYA-SSH@onelist.com
        >Subject: [AYA-SSH] ENTRY 3
        >Date: 9 Feb 2000 17:19:13 -0000
        >
        >CAN SOMEONE POST SOME IDEAS - OR WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO FOR WHOLE
        >CLASS DISCUSSION? I FILMED MY CLASS GOING OVER A FILM ON THE MIDDLE
        >EAST THAT THEY ENJOYED AND WAS VERY INFORMATIONAL. WHEN THE CAMERA WAS
        >ROLLING THEY
        >WERE RATHER SUBDUED. WHAT ARE SOME OTHER IDEAS PEOPLE ARE GOING TO
        >USE?

      • Carolyn Hunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2000
          Musclehead,
          I did a T-chart. Title is above the T. Positives on the left and Negatives on the
          right. We discussed the effects of European colonization of Africa. It was very
          subdued until one girl said that a positive effect of slavery and the murder involved
          was that it was a form of population control. Whoh! Some excited interaction
          followed. This was an inclusion class with one Asian minority in the class. My one
          African-American student was absent that day. It may have been a blessing. Other than
          that, it was dull. We'll see.

          hunter